Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To Oxbridge students: Were you seen as the (one of the) smartest in your year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd ask this question, as today our year (Year 11) was given a talk about Oxford and Cambridge. But the thing is, only a few students were selected to have this talk. I guess I was fairly hurt by this. Now don't get me wrong - I'm not saying "ohhh yes I'm so smarttt Oxford and Cambridge should be begging for me to join themm" it was more our school saying "only these people should consider Oxford and Cambridge" and as a person who'd like to go there, it was pretty much a smack in the face. I also don't think there was any reason behind it. I am aiming for As and A*s (courtesy of the odd B) and I don't like to think for GCSE that is a horrendous set of results - I doubt you need a set of 12 A*s. It's quite cruel to only choose a few people at this stage, it's almost a sort of favouritism. But! That's enough of my story, I'd like to hear yours. So tell me, if you're a person who went to Oxford or Cambridge, (or even still there) where you always perceived as the brightest (or in the 'top group'?) Also feel free to share other peoples stories (if you know them) as well! Many thanks !

ReputationRep:
    I only know one guy who got in to cambridge, he was very smart. He had 9As 4A*s in GCSE, i forgot his a level grades

ReputationRep:
    This may not be as useful as posters that may come later because I don't actually go to Cambridge, but I had a Cambridge offer.
    I was never top of the class, or considered a favourite by teachers. I found that my school favoured a certain type of student that isn't necessarily the model oxbridge student and that I definitely was not.
    I never got invited to any of those talks before AS level results, even though I had made it clear that I would like to apply. In the end, I was the only one out of my year with a Cambridge offer where many others were seen as "guaranteed" by teachers!
    So yeah, don't let it bother you too much. Luckily you have access to TSR which gives much better advice than many of those talks do!

(I only have an offer at this stage)

Surely it depends on what kind of school you go to?

Most comprehensives, Oxbridge students would probably be top in pretty much all A-level classes, and probably waay ahead in their chosen subject. I wouldn't worry about not being top in GCSEs though

Since grammar and private schools have a much better cohort of students, with more other Oxbridge applicants in your classes, you probably can't expect to be top of the class

Btw, this thread might be of interest to you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3856821

(Original post by cerlohee)
    This may not be as useful as posters that may come later because I don't actually go to Cambridge, but I had a Cambridge offer.
    I was never top of the class, or considered a favourite by teachers. I found that my school favoured a certain type of student that isn't necessarily the model oxbridge student and that I definitely was not.
    I never got invited to any of those talks before AS level results, even though I had made it clear that I would like to apply. In the end, I was the only one out of my year with a Cambridge offer where many others were seen as "guaranteed" by teachers!
    So yeah, don't let it bother you too much. Luckily you have access to TSR which gives much better advice than many of those talks do!
    oh how come you didn't go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skwonc)
    oh how come you didn't go?
    I was an A* short of making my offer so went to my insurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cerlohee)
    Thanks! This has honestly made me feel so much more comfortable. Maybe because I find your reply so relatable it's odd. The students the teachers favour are the people who get A*s in everything, but that's really it. I'm pretty sure Oxbridge want something different (I'd like to think so, anyway...)

ReputationRep:
    My child was not selected or invited to the Oxbridge meetings at school either .....it later transpired this was based on Yr7 CAT tests and Yr8 end of year exams....
    A period of time when 'Teenage Brain' re-wiring takes place i think!
    They now have an Oxford offer for September 2016
    My advice to any student is listen to parents,family,friends,school,te achers.
    Use Tsr to research and gain a broad knowledge base of opinion and experience from a diverse network of students,parents and teachers. It is also an invaluable insight into higher education, university choices, subjects and students offering current advice as well as archived help; very often much more use than your school.
    The application process is long and not for the faint hearted.... Despite over coming all the odds of receiving an offer you still then must achieve the required grades....it is quite a journey!
    BUT please, please do not be put off ..... Never allow anyone to place boundaries, of what you can achieve, around you .... Only the boundaries that you set yourself or are comfortable with!
    My Child went to those meetings uninvited and subsequently was one of 2, out of 11, to receive an Offer.
    A healthy disregard mindset is required before applying (imo) ......that it is one choice out of 5 , it isn't for everyone , it is not a Panacea, look at Module choices very carefully they differ widely among Uni's despite having the same subject code, be proud that you were able to apply in the first place! ...life will not end if you do not gain a place or meet the offer grades!
    Better to try than always wonder 'What If ' ...
    Do not be sad or deterred by not being invited... IF, after gathering all the relevant advice and knowledge available to you , you still wish to apply .... Then go for it !

ReputationRep:
    In my school (bog standard non selective comprehensive) teachers favour those who get A*s in everything because it is likely they are going to end up at oxbridge.
    We have only had one person get into oxford and she managed to get all A*s in GCSE and at A level to do biochemistry.
    One got into Cambridge for English with all As and A*s in their GCSEs.

HOWEVER I can safely say I am not oxbridge material. I managed to get all a stars but I just know I would not be able to get an offer from Cambridge or Oxford. I wouldn't worry about things like this!
    By the way I am in year 12. I'd apply to Cambridge but I highly doubt I'd be able to get in.

ReputationRep:
    I graduated from Cambridge last year and in my experience I was always either at the top or one of the top members of the class academically speaking. That said, it's not a requirement to get into Oxbridge and it can be quite a shock for those who do. Many get to Oxbridge and perhaps for the first time in their life actually experience being at the bottom of the class and realise they weren't as clever as they thought they were when compared to some of their fellow undergraduates. Don't be dissuaded though, plenty of people I knew there were never top of their class but managed to get in due to hard work and sheer passion.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no oxbridge go-er but our school this year has 5 oxbridge offer holders.

One is a genius mathematician, like jesus that guy is good (and passionate), the others may be passionate and all but they're definitely not anything amazing to be honest. Just people who are good critical thinkers that perform well at interview, their academics slightly below some of the other 'true' intellectuals I know who didn't get in.

The offer holders I know are normal people, you should give it a shot, why not

All the people at my sixth form who got the best GCSE's and AS grades applied to medicine, medicine is where it's attttt.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I was on the school's Gifted and Talented list for music and was towards the top of the year and always getting good or at least solid grades, but I wasn't on the borough-wide Gifted and Talented list, due to my Year 7 CAT results (I'm not good at maths and things like spatial awareness). My school (a bog-standard, somewhat dodgy comprehensive school in West London) refused to let me learn Latin, since I wasn't on the borough-wide G&T list. My form tutor spoke to the deputy head about it because she believed I was clever enough and that it might help me later on in life, but school said no :mad:

When it came for Oxbridge taster days and stuff, I was always invited and selected. But by the time we got to Year 13 and applications were going to be made, my school were less supportive. This was because I had got aaac at AS, with the C in Physics AS. My school's Oxbridge coordinator was pretty rude about it and heavily implied that it was a wasted application, though she didn't stop me from applying.

Guess who was the only person from my school to get into Oxford OR Cambridge in about a four-year period? :pierre:
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Guess who was the only person from my school to get into Oxford OR Cambridge in about a four-year period? :pierre:
    I always enjoy reading about your experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I always enjoy reading about your experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awwww, thanks! :fan:

:hugs:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Awwww, thanks! :fan:

:hugs:
    As someone said: The winner takes it all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    As someone said: The winner takes it all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE :ahee: :teehee:
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura5746352)
    I thought I'd ask this question, as today our year (Year 11) was given a talk about Oxford and Cambridge. But the thing is, only a few students were selected to have this talk. I guess I was fairly hurt by this. Now don't get me wrong - I'm not saying "ohhh yes I'm so smarttt Oxford and Cambridge should be begging for me to join themm" it was more our school saying "only these people should consider Oxford and Cambridge" and as a person who'd like to go there, it was pretty much a smack in the face. I also don't think there was any reason behind it. I am aiming for As and A*s (courtesy of the odd B) and I don't like to think for GCSE that is a horrendous set of results - I doubt you need a set of 12 A*s. It's quite cruel to only choose a few people at this stage, it's almost a sort of favouritism. But! That's enough of my story, I'd like to hear yours. So tell me, if you're a person who went to Oxford or Cambridge, (or even still there) where you always perceived as the brightest (or in the 'top group'?) Also feel free to share other peoples stories (if you know them) as well! Many thanks !
    Hi, Martin from the Peterhouse Admission Team here!

This is very similar to my experience at school. I wasn't at the top of my year at GCSE and as a result wasn't included in trips to Cambridge in year 12. I don't think I really hit my stride until 6th form when I could just focus on the subjects I really liked. I applied and got a place and have gone on to do a PhD here so don't let your school put you off!

In our schools liaison work we're always very wary of schools selecting the audience (especially for visits to schools where we can speak to as many people as are interested) because teachers are often poor estimators of Cambridge applicants, their abilities and chances of success.

Funny extra story - if I had been selected to go on the residential trip in year 12, it would have been the same trip my wife went on and we would have met 3 years earlier than we did!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura5746352)
    What I'm guessing has happened is that they invited everyone with predicted grades above some certain threshold (or some other non-personal measure) because it is way too early to make any sensible personal judgement about who's going to be a realistic applicant and who isn't. You definitely do not need a set of 12 A*s to get in! I'm sorry that your school hasn't been more open about this but this is definitely not something you should worry about. They will not have been given any information that's not publicly available for everyone. Just make sure you carry on doing your best
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
    Funny extra story - if I had been selected to go on the residential trip in year 12, it would have been the same trip my wife went on and we would have met 3 years earlier than we did!
    Aww...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My GCSEs were too rubbish to be in the Oxbridge group (though was in Russel Group group). I now hold an Cambridge offer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.