Jabberjay_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've just been given a date for my computing interview at imperial. Has anyone got any imperial specific tips for what to expect? Will it consist of going through maths questions or will it be a more informal discussion?
Thanks.
gemdarkstone
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I just had my interview on the 3rd.

Basically, the entire day is spent looking at the Uni, being introduced to the course, seeing the first yr projects etc. so it's pretty chill.

The interview itsself is very very very relaxed (at least for me!) I was chatting and laughing with my interviewer, asking me general questions like 'why computing?' or 'why imperial'. I didn't get asked about a single specific thing on my personal statement (but thats apperently uncommon - most interviewrs will ask yoy something spefic to your PS). After that I got 2 maths questions - both took less the 5 mins to solve and my interview was over.

Interviews are supposed to last 30 mins, and most in my group did last that long. Mine was about 15 mins, and I got such a relaxed cool tutor - I've heard that my experience is a little unusual.

But thats the structure of your day - your interview will relaxed to an extent and you'll get a couple of maths questions which they don't expect you to know, but will want you to expalin your thought process and will help you out with hints. Thats the most important part - explain what your thinking!
Jabberjay_
Rep:
?
(Original post by gemdarkstone)

Basically, the entire day is spent looking at the Uni, being introduced to the course, seeing the first yr projects etc. so it's pretty chill.

The interview itsself is very very very relaxed (at least for me!) I was chatting and laughing with my interviewer, asking me general questions like 'why computing?' or 'why imperial'. I didn't get asked about a single specific thing on my personal statement (but thats apperently uncommon - most interviewrs will ask yoy something spefic to your PS). After that I got 2 maths questions - both took less the 5 mins to solve and my interview was over.

Interviews are supposed to last 30 mins, and most in my group did last that long. Mine was about 15 mins, and I got such a relaxed cool tutor - I've heard that my experience is a little unusual.

But thats the structure of your day - your interview will relaxed to an extent and you'll get a couple of maths questions which they don't expect you to know, but will want you to expalin your thought process and will help you out with hints. Thats the most important part - explain what your thinking!
Thanks for your response, good luck! Were the maths questions a level related or were they more logic type questions?
yulija
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I had my interview on the 3rd as well (I applied for computing with artificial intelligence). I agree with gemdarkstone, the whole day was pretty chill. The people at Imperial are really nice and will answer any of your questions if you approach them.

Nevertheless, my interview didn't go so well. My interviewer was a very.. serious, slightly mean and looking-constantly-mad lady who hasn't smiled once during the interview. Moreover, it was VERY obvious that she didn't read my personal statement because she asked me programming questions while I directly stated that I have never learnt programming. She also kind of told me that I'm a loser compared to others because I don't have programming background and am more interested in Artificial Intelligence as a whole than programming and algorithms.

Besides this, other questions were "why imperial", "why computing" and of that sort and also one math question that I answered quite easily.

But don't freak out too much, I talked to nearly everyone in there and other candidates said they got nice and relaxed interviewers and that their interviews were quite fun. (It was just me who was extremely unlucky .) Lots of them got questions on differentiation and integration as far as I remember.

Just know your math and you should be fine, really. Good luck!
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I applied for JMC, had my interview in December, and now have an offer. There were a lot of questions about irrelevant personal stuff, one question about algorithms, nothing about maths (surprisingly), and nothing specific about my personal statement. The number one question to prepare for IMO is "Why Imperial?" -- do a bit of research on their course before you go. Also, don't worry about it too much -- ~80% of people who get interviews get offers.
Jabberjay_
Rep:
?
yulija
(Original post by sweeneyrod)
I applied for JMC, had my interview in December, and now have an offer. There were a lot of questions about irrelevant personal stuff, one question about algorithms, nothing about maths (surprisingly), and nothing specific about my personal statement. The number one question to prepare for IMO is "Why Imperial?" -- do a bit of research on their course before you go. Also, don't worry about it too much -- ~80% of people who get interviews get offers.
Which is why I'm becoming paranoid, about wanting not to be in that 20% haha. One more question, what was everyone wearing? Should I go casual or in a suit? Thanks for your help btw.
yulija
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jabberjay_)
yulija

Which is why I'm becoming paranoid, about wanting not to be in that 20% haha. One more question, what was everyone wearing? Should I go casual or in a suit? Thanks for your help btw.
You don't have to wear suit or anything, that's for sure. Most of the people were just dressed up casually I mean, you obviously shouldn't come in your pajama but simply wearing something clean and neat should be fine.
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jabberjay_)
yulija

There was a fair mixture of clothes -- wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable (within reason). I wore jeans, shirt, jumper, which is slightly smarter than my usual style, which I think helped me get in the right frame of mind (not that it matters much). A few people were in suits, my friend wore a hoodie (and got an offer).
pranav23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gemdarkstone)

But thats the structure of your day - your interview will relaxed to an extent and you'll get a couple of maths questions which they don't expect you to know, but will want you to expalin your thought process and will help you out with hints. Thats the most important part - explain what your thinking
When did they tell you that you had been selected for the interview? Was it before or after January? Also how long did you have to wait after the computing test to be informed that you had been selected for the interview?
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (10)
35.71%
No (18)
64.29%

Watched Threads