Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Im now half way through medical school. I feel like I'm struggling to keep up - when asked questions i rarely know the answer. I work really hard outside of lectures/tutorials but still find my knowledge isn't thorough/as good as those around me. They are all so confident when answering questions I would have no idea how to answer.

I'm worried I just can't retain all the information needed. How can I not be learning it properly? As i worry more, I peform worse. How can I fix this confidence crisis?

We start wards soon so I'll need to be able to answer questions. I'm very nervous.

Would be nice to know others feel the same!!!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Im now half way through medical school. I feel like I'm struggling to keep up - when asked questions i rarely know the answer. I work really hard outside of lectures/tutorials but still find my knowledge isn't thorough/as good as those around me. They are all so confident when answering questions I would have no idea how to answer.

I'm worried I just can't retain all the information needed. How can I not be learning it properly? As i worry more, I peform worse. How can I fix this confidence crisis?

We start wards soon so I'll need to be able to answer questions. I'm very nervous.

Would be nice to know others feel the same!!!
    What medical school is this?
    Breakthings down into small chunks, don't look too ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Have you had many formative assessments or even summative? Do you know how you're performing? I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to beat the clock and answer quickly in class -- you have more time for assessed work! I think we can all relate to not feeling as though we're retaining what we're told for more than a few weeks really. That's why long term learning is important -- it's much easier to pick up the second time when you do revise, and even easier the 3rd time and so on.

Also remember high yield vs. low yield. If a lecturer keeps referring to something in their lectures then prioritise that over some small tidbit of information given once. They're not trying to trick you in most circumstances. If you're really uncertain as to where to focus, have a look at the At A Glance books which summarise topics in about a page or two. If you can focus on knowing the concepts and the really important stuff, you'll be there or there abouts.

How do you currently structure your learning? Have you experimented with flashcards e.g. Anki and so on?

ReputationRep:
    You will randomly feel this throughout medical school - I'm almost final year and had that feeling throughout my whole last rotation!!

Plough on! It's complete normal. If you are working hard, you will see the benefits more long-term, as there's just so much content.

You got into medical school, which means you have what it takes academically. Self-doubt always creeps in, which is normal, but don't let it debilitate you. Confide in loved ones and take care of yourself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.