Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doing a masters in middle eastern/south asian studies be better at Oxbridge or SOAS? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am thinking of doing my masters in research in middle eastern or south asian studies. Right now I am not sure what my topic of research shall be about but probably it will have something to do with historical and religious literature of one of these two regions. I have heard that the library at SOAS is really good for research in these regions but there's also the prestige of the Oxbridge unis. So I am quite conflicted. I don't know how to make up my mind, so if some one could give me the pros and cons of these three unis while studying oriental studies there, maybe that could help me make a decision. I would just like to mention that my priority is a place for good research and passionate professors to work under. Also getting out of the university with good future prospects in return for paying so much in the tuition fees. Thanks.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aye_zt)
    Hi, I am thinking of doing my masters in research in middle eastern or south asian studies.
    There's no decision to make until you are holding offers from more than one of these places!

ReputationRep:
    It isn't 'better' at either. Both are excellent places to study this subject.

Its actually about which is the best course for you - ie. which optional units would you choose, and why? Which Uni has the academic staff with research interests that match yours. Which Uni feels the most comfortable to you. Which has the better library/other resources (opening hours...) that will make your life easier. Where will it be cheaper/easier to live etc. And if you havnt visited both of these two Unis on an ordinary working day, do it before you make your decision. Btw, 'prestige' and other nebulous concepts count for very little if the course bores you to death and the library is never open. Always choose the course that will enthuse and interest you the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    It isn't 'better' at either. Both are excellent places to study this subject.

Its actually about which is the best course for you - ie. which optional units would you choose, and why? Which Uni has the academic staff with research interests that match yours. Which Uni feels the most comfortable to you. Which has the better library/other resources (opening hours...) that will make your life easier. Where will it be cheaper/easier to live etc. And if you havnt visited both of these two Unis on an ordinary working day, do it before you make your decision. Btw, 'prestige' and other nebulous concepts count for very little if the course bores you to death and the library is never open. Always choose the course that will enthuse and interest you the most.
    yes, I think I framed the question very wrongly with the word 'better'. But thank you for your advice. I don't live in the UK at the moment but I'm going to try to visit it this summer and check out all three campuses. Apart from getting campus tours, are there other things you recommend me to do that can help me in finding out more about these universities, their courses and profs during my visit? I will research on them online before visiting them but I want to make sure I can make the most of this visit because I'll probably be able to only travel there once.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.