The Student Room Group
slowjamz
Hi guys,

I have an AAB offer from Bristol for a place this September. If I miss my grades and they won't take me, what happens if I then have a remark and my grades go up? Are they still obliged to accept me, or will I have missed the beginning of the year? Not sure how this would work and curious if anyone knows. Cheers.
i'm not 100% sure but i suspect that you will have lost your place....as you did not initially meet the terms of the offer. However, in that situation i suspect that you could reapply the next year and get accepted....but there is not guarantee. You should not bank on getting a remark or going up grades- you should just try to do the best you can the first time round.

Good luck, just do your best and you will be fine :smile:

what subject is your offer for?

Ruthie xx
Reply 2
ruthiepoothie
i'm not 100% sure but i suspect that you will have lost your place....as you did not initially meet the terms of the offer. However, in that situation i suspect that you could reapply the next year and get accepted....but there is not guarantee. You should not bank on getting a remark or going up grades- you should just try to do the best you can the first time round.

Good luck, just do your best and you will be fine :smile:

what subject is your offer for?

Ruthie xx

Thanks Ruthie :smile:
Yeah, I am trying so hard to do my best, but one of yesterday's Edexcel History papers was literally not on the syllabus (there's a whole complaining thread about it in Academic!) and I'm concerned about if that's going to drag my grades down. I'll be so upset if it does as Bristol is my number one choice. Oh well, not much I can do now but keep my fingers crossed.
My offer's for English :smile:
Reply 3
Hmm, this is confusing though - surely if the exam board were to wrongly mark a paper it wouldn't be my fault?
Reply 4
They would have to take you. After the results are out, there is some priority time for re-marks, when they are done VERY quickly so that your university choices are done with. Just notify the uni about you having one if you are going to and the re-mark takes a week max. You will have to apply for one straight away though.

*Note that this priority remarking is only for those going to university.
slowjamz
Hmm, this is confusing though - surely if the exam board were to wrongly mark a paper it wouldn't be my fault?

no, but i don't think the university would be obliged to accept you becuase you didn't meet the offer, I'm not sure though...
Pencil Queen might know more....
i'm sure it will all work out for you :smile:
Yannis
They would have to take you. After the results are out, there is some priority time for re-marks, when they are done VERY quickly so that your university choices are done with. Just notify the uni about you having one if you are going to and the re-mark takes a week max. You will have to apply for one straight away though.

*Note that this priority remarking is only for those going to university.

i stand corrected :biggrin:
sounds like its all good then!!
:biggrin:
Reply 7
ruthiepoothie
i stand corrected :biggrin:
sounds like its all good then!!
:biggrin:

always willing to help out... :cool:
Reply 8
Yannis
always willing to help out... :cool:

Thanks Yannis - that's reassuring to know :smile:
Reply 9
sorry to disagree.

I know someone who this happened to, her offer was AAA and she got AAB. But her teacher told her to get a re-mark because he didn't think she should have got the B.

She went to see the uni on results day, or shortly after and they allowed her to start but not on the course she applied for.

Her grade went up to an A after the remark.

I think a lot depends on the uni, how many places they have etc. etc. The offer they make is on the grades you get on results day.

Having said all that if there is a genuine problem with the history paper the uni will be aware of this and should take it into account.
Reply 10
sashh
sorry to disagree.

I know someone who this happened to, her offer was AAA and she got AAB. But her teacher told her to get a re-mark because he didn't think she should have got the B.

She went to see the uni on results day, or shortly after and they allowed her to start but not on the course she applied for.

Her grade went up to an A after the remark.

I think a lot depends on the uni, how many places they have etc. etc. The offer they make is on the grades you get on results day.

Having said all that if there is a genuine problem with the history paper the uni will be aware of this and should take it into account.

Hmm. Interesting info and I appreciate it :smile:

I (along with a lot of others) am planning to file a complaint about the History paper. Do you guys think it's worth me notifying the uni of that now in case my History grade is unexpectedly low? (I was predicted an A and got full marks in two AS papers.) Or should I not bother and just pray results are okay?
slowjamz
Hi guys,

I have an AAB offer from Bristol for a place this September. If I miss my grades and they won't take me, what happens if I then have a remark and my grades go up? Are they still obliged to accept me, or will I have missed the beginning of the year? Not sure how this would work and curious if anyone knows. Cheers.
They're not obliged to take you. If you miss your grades by a long way and suspect that something funny's gone on with the marking, all you can do is ring them up and tell them that and say your school supports you, and ask if it's possible for them to hold your place open while your paper is re-marked. Unfortunately most unis don't tend to do this, however most would then, if it turns out something funny HAS been going on with the marking, give you an unconditional place for next year, and it's up to you whether you take it or go to your insurance.

I know a girl who had a conditional offer to do English at Cambridge and missed her grades. She had her paper remarked and it turned out she actually met her offer, but Cambridge offerred her a place for the following year. She decided to get on with her life, and went to her insurance, Southampton, instead, and has no regrets. So it will all work out in the end :smile:

Hope that helps.
slowjamz
Hmm. Interesting info and I appreciate it :smile:

I (along with a lot of others) am planning to file a complaint about the History paper. Do you guys think it's worth me notifying the uni of that now in case my History grade is unexpectedly low? (I was predicted an A and got full marks in two AS papers.) Or should I not bother and just pray results are okay?
If something was wrong with the paper it wouldn't do any harm to notify your department.
Reply 13
I wouldn't rely on remarking as a strategy to get higher grades. Believe it or not, most papers are marked right the first time.
Reply 14
edders
I wouldn't rely on remarking as a strategy to get higher grades. Believe it or not, most papers are marked right the first time.

Oh, I know that, I've never been concerned about it before. But because of the problems with yesterday's History paper and the complaints being filed about it I'm worried that the mix-up could extend to marking. Just covering my options now so I know what to do in the event of a bad results day.
Reply 15
i think it depends on the uni and person. i know someone who's firm place was warwick to read history and she got AAB instead of AAA, when she got it remarked it went up to AAA. as warwick were waiting for her re-mark, she had to go to her insurance, UCL, and after her re-mark came through, warwick accepted her for the year after. she left UCL, worked for the rest of the rest of the year, made loads of money to start uni in warwick the year after. so it's not all bad, if you do have to take a year out. :smile:
Reply 16
Yes. Hence my comment about immediate remarks. The whole point of the new system is that all this doesn't happen. That's why they do it so fast. If someone asked for a remark after having gone to their insurance choice or took their time to get theirs remarked it is their own fault. I am sure that if you get your marks back quickly you should keep your place as that is what UCAS seem to think.

Latest

Trending

Trending