Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

All three sciences at A-level Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I've applied for a few sixthforms now to do all three sciences and mathematics, but I'm starting to get a little nervous and need some reassurance that I haven't made an awful decision...
    I love all the sciences (and spend more time outside of school furthering my knowledge of them than I should oops) and have tended to excel within them in school as well. Unfortunately I'm only doing core and additional at GCSE (I got an A in core and I'm predicted A in additional but I'm probably going to get an A*). I'm predicted an A or A* in maths and the same in further maths.
    I would really appreciate it if I could have a bit of reassurance or some tips from anyone who chose all three sciences. I have a true passion for science and do hope to go into some form of research in the future, and since I have no idea if I want to go into biology or chemistry or physics, I chose them all for my A-level options..

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 13 doing all 3 sciences and maths and while it's definitely difficult it's also fun! If you enjoy all your choices then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to ace them. In general people tend to do best in the subjects they enjoy (probably down to how much revision you're willing to put in). I don't think you'll be severely disadvantaged by not doing triple science it's not like there's a lot of B3/C3/P3 in A Level (maybe some at the very beginning of the courses and more so in chemistry than the others e.g. moles are a small part of C3 - titrations but a rather big part of A Level chemistry) the step-up from GCSE to AS is big but not as big as teachers/other students make it out to be; I was expecting everything to be much more difficult than it actually was based on what I was told multiple times about sixth form and A Levels etc. That being said, I did struggle a bit at first mainly because the simplest stuff at A Level is the most difficult at GCSE (mostly) and the difficult stuff at A Level is DIFFICULT (trust me...). But if you stick with it and do lots of practice on the bits you're not fully comfortable with you'll be just fine (and again enjoying the subjects helps a whole lot- by April last year I was doing exam questions for fun rather than because I had to [well I guess I technically had to, but I did enjoy them haha]). I wouldn't worry, you seem to truly enjoy them and I don't see why you should have any major issues (btw chemistry is the best, biology the easiest and physics the hardest ). Good luck and if you have any other questions then do ask!

ReputationRep:
    Anything is possible as long as you work hard you'll be fine. I know people who are also doing all of the sciences and love it. I did chemistry, physics, maths and history so I cant comment on biology. But because there is overlap with the sciences it makes learning slightly easier and more enjoyable as you can see how all the sciences fit together.
    Shhhh I find chemistry the hardest and physics the easiest to understand so its different for everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawSugar)
    So I've applied for a few sixthforms now to do all three sciences and mathematics, but I'm starting to get a little nervous and need some reassurance that I haven't made an awful decision...
    I love all the sciences (and spend more time outside of school furthering my knowledge of them than I should oops) and have tended to excel within them in school as well. Unfortunately I'm only doing core and additional at GCSE (I got an A in core and I'm predicted A in additional but I'm probably going to get an A*). I'm predicted an A or A* in maths and the same in further maths.
    I would really appreciate it if I could have a bit of reassurance or some tips from anyone who chose all three sciences. I have a true passion for science and do hope to go into some form of research in the future, and since I have no idea if I want to go into biology or chemistry or physics, I chose them all for my A-level options..
    I'm also in year 13 and doing the threes sciences and maths. If you enjoy science and are willing to work hard I don't see why it should be a problem. I came out with 4A's at AS so it's definitely doable.

ReputationRep:
    At AS I did the 3 sciences, maths and further maths and it turned out to be just fine, the only thing was adjusting to the step up in the work load. If it comes naturally to you and you enjoy it at GCSE though, I'm sure you'll be juuuusttt fiiiine despite the extra workload, the concepts aren't actually difficult at all IMO

Also as mentioned already, Bio is definitely the easiest, Chem is the trickiest and Physics is somewhere inbetween.

ReputationRep:
    lol I am that person who got A*s and As at GCSE science with little to no revision
    got AA*A in triple science

and I also decided to take all 3 at AS
    ended up with BCC in bio, chem and physics
    physics was hardest imo since I didn't do maths
    chemistry is ****ing hard by itself anyway - why would you wanna add more stress
    bio wasnt bad tbf... I got a 92% A in my unit 1 exam just by making notes

then again I don't do much revision

if you're the type of person who is naturally capable AND hardworking it'll make it easier for you to do well in all 3 subjects, however if you aren't naturally talented but put in enough work to get you to that level of expertise you should be good too

it's only when you lack motivation/ are lazy and don't do the work (like me) and don't have a 'natural talent' at the subject then you're screwed :/

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Only doing double at GCSE doesn't make much difference. I knew people who only did double and they did about as well at A-level as people who did triple.
    I did those and further maths and they work well together.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.