Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a Maths Interview at York University soon and I was wondering what kind of Maths questions appear in these kinds of interviews as I'm really worried about not being able to answer them. What things should I revise?

I've already asked this in the York University forum but nobody has replied... so I thought I was best asking here. Even if you don't go to York but had a Maths interview ANYWHERE else, please tell me what kinds of Maths questions you were asked!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2014_GCSE)
    I have a Maths Interview at York University soon and I was wondering what kind of Maths questions appear in these kinds of interviews as I'm really worried about not being able to answer them. What things should I revise?

I've already asked this in the York University forum but nobody has replied... so I thought I was best asking here. Even if you don't go to York but had a Maths interview ANYWHERE else, please tell me what kinds of Maths questions you were asked!
    I've done a bit of digging and found this post:

(Original post by University of York)
    Hi there,

The interview is an informal chat with a lecturer about the student's background, their interest in Maths, and about Maths at York. A mathematical problem or two will be discussed, but the interview is more about seeing how a problem is tackled, rather than necessarily getting or knowing the right answer.

I hope that helps,

Jonathan Stokoe
    Student Administration Manager
    Department of Mathematics
    I've also had a mock interview for Maths involving solving some problems - an important thing to do is that, if you get stuck on a problem and the interviewer starts to give you some hints, jump in as soon as you can rather sit back and let them keep going, and try to look as interested as possible!

And just make sure that you're confident about everything that you've mentioned in your PS and are prepared to talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    I've done a bit of digging and found this post:

I've also had a mock interview for Maths involving solving some problems - an important thing to do is that, if you get stuck on a problem and the interviewer starts to give you some hints, jump in as soon as you can rather sit back and let them keep going, and try to look as interested as possible!

And just make sure that you're confident about everything that you've mentioned in your PS and are prepared to talk about it.
    Thank you very much! Amazing reply. I couldn't find anything like that post on the York subforum so that's a big help, thanks.

And yeah, that's a good tip, thanks. I've been going over my PS a lot tonight just to make sure I'm ready for whatever little tid bits I mentioned in it. What kind of problems did they ask you to solve, if you don't mind me asking?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2014_GCSE)
    Thank you very much! Amazing reply. I couldn't find anything like that post on the York subforum so that's a big help, thanks.

And yeah, that's a good tip, thanks. I've been going over my PS a lot tonight just to make sure I'm ready for whatever little tid bits I mentioned in it. What kind of problems did they ask you to solve, if you don't mind me asking?
    I used the 'tools' button and then typed in 'Maths interview', so if you have anything else that you want to search for that'd be the way to do it.

The two questions I got asked were first to prove the sum formula for an arithmetic series or a geometric series (can't remember which one! :getmecoat:) and I'd forgotten, so he'd given me some hints and then after the interview he said that I should have jumped in as soon as I knew what was going on instead of sitting there and letting him do it, which is why I said what I said in the previous post).

Then the next question was using that and thinking about the integral of 1/x, how you can draw boxes with lengths that form the series and find the area using that.. and then stuff about infinity. Not much help I know, sorry!

But good luck with your interview.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.