The Student Room Group

Do allot of teens move out for college?

Im 17 i want to move out for college, do allot of teens live in student accomedation at a college? I never hear about people my age moving out for college
Original post by Zovi123
Im 17 i want to move out for college, do allot of teens live in student accomedation at a college? I never hear about people my age moving out for college

Only two of my friends lived alone at college for very different reasons:
1 had a small child
The other was in the UK alone

But your main problem is going to be funding, how do you intend to pay for 'student accommodation' whilst at college?
Reply 2
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
Only two of my friends lived alone at college for very different reasons:
1 had a small child
The other was in the UK alone

But your main problem is going to be funding, how do you intend to pay for 'student accommodation' whilst at college?

My sister went to uni, my parents were perfectly finantially capable to pay it and were still in the same finantial situation as then and i have discussed it with them and they have said if its what i want they will agree to fund it. I would also hopefully get a job there to help a little with the money, i have a job currently so at least ill have experiece thoigh i defuinutly know the jobs market is extremly tough so theres a huge chance i wont even get one.
Original post by Zovi123
My sister went to uni, my parents were perfectly finantially capable to pay it and were still in the same finantial situation as then and i have discussed it with them and they have said if its what i want they will agree to fund it. I would also hopefully get a job there to help a little with the money, i have a job currently so at least ill have experiece thoigh i defuinutly know the jobs market is extremly tough so theres a huge chance i wont even get one.

Honestly, 99.9% of people will be older than you and in uni. I'd instead just wait and ask them to pay that money towards your uni accommodation/ money towards a deposit on a house when you finally move out.
There's very little point of living alone, especially if you already live close to your college.
The two people I know lived in their own homes, not student accommodation. Not to mention you'd have to go private, which means the prices are pretty freaking steep!
And you have to do all your cooking/cleaning yourself. Just wait a little bit, freshers will come soon enough :tongue:
Reply 4
Honestly, 99.9% of people will be older than you and in uni. I'd instead just wait and ask them to pay that money towards your uni accommodation/ money towards a deposit on a house when you finally move out.
There's very little point of living alone, especially if you already live close to your college.
The two people I know lived in their own homes, not student accommodation. Not to mention you'd have to go private, which means the prices are pretty freaking steep!
And you have to do all your cooking/cleaning yourself. Just wait a little bit, freshers will come soon enough :tongue:

But i have heard of a few colleges that have their own accomedation though. I guess but i really want a fresh start and just to live somewehre else. Ill go to a few open days and ask a few questions about the accomedation. With the course i want to do at uni ill have to wait 3 years though :/
Original post by Zovi123
But i have heard of a few colleges that have their own accomedation though. I guess but i really want a fresh start and just to live somewehre else. Ill go to a few open days and ask a few questions about the accomedation. With the course i want to do at uni ill have to wait 3 years though :/

Colleges with accommodation more sound like boarding schools! But yeah you'd be looking at like £7000 a year for no 'real' benefit. I can understand wanting some freedom, but honestly, cooking for yourself, having to lug all you shopping home, doing your own cleaning and washing, losing some of your privacy, loses it's appeal super quickly :tongue: I'd have gone to my local uni if it wasn't so rubbish :tongue: alas
Reply 6
Colleges with accommodation more sound like boarding schools! But yeah you'd be looking at like £7000 a year for no 'real' benefit. I can understand wanting some freedom, but honestly, cooking for yourself, having to lug all you shopping home, doing your own cleaning and washing, losing some of your privacy, loses it's appeal super quickly :tongue: I'd have gone to my local uni if it wasn't so rubbish :tongue: alas

Very true but i still kinda want to. I dont really know. I just dont want to live here for another year :/
Original post by Zovi123
Very true but i still kinda want to. I dont really know. I just dont want to live here for another year :/

Believe me that's what I thought at the time. I was getting fed up with not having my own way, having to do chores, getting told off for 'eating too much junk food'

and yeah I can do all the things I want now. But sometimes when you've had a long day at college/uni and you come home you're grateful that food is on the table, and that you don't have to prep that, then clean everything up.

If you move into private 'student accommodation' you will have to accept that almost everyone will be a university student, and when they're all going on 'flat nights out' it's going to be awkward!
Reply 8
Believe me that's what I thought at the time. I was getting fed up with not having my own way, having to do chores, getting told off for 'eating too much junk food'

and yeah I can do all the things I want now. But sometimes when you've had a long day at college/uni and you come home you're grateful that food is on the table, and that you don't have to prep that, then clean everything up.

If you move into private 'student accommodation' you will have to accept that almost everyone will be a university student, and when they're all going on 'flat nights out' it's going to be awkward!

But if you move out you make new friends and experience new things, if you just live in the same place yeah you will make a few new friends but youll still be stuck with your old ones and be stuck living in the same place.
As for the livinh with uni students thing, even the college near me has accomedation right on campus and the nearest uni is pretty far away so i highly doubt theres a bunch of uni students living there
Reply 9
If colleges provide accommodation it's news to me, but I suspect it'd be for international students. The only people I know who live alone for college are at the YMCA
Reply 10
Original post by Zovi123
But if you move out you make new friends and experience new things, if you just live in the same place yeah you will make a few new friends but youll still be stuck with your old ones and be stuck living in the same place.
As for the livinh with uni students thing, even the college near me has accomedation right on campus and the nearest uni is pretty far away so i highly doubt theres a bunch of uni students living there

You'll do all of that when you go to university anyway so why don't you just wait a bit?
Reply 11
Original post by lubsjk
You'll do all of that when you go to university anyway so why don't you just wait a bit?

I want to go to Scottish Ambulance Academy (i live in Scotland), you need to have held a UK drivers licence for 2 years and itll end up being 3 since i dont even have one now, its only 3 months at a uni then a few months at an ambulance base so i kinda dont want ti wait since its years away.
I just dont see why more college students my age dont move, i mean i get it when their planing on going to uni but some just wabt to go to college then get the job.
Original post by Zovi123
I want to go to Scottish Ambulance Academy (i live in Scotland), you need to have held a UK drivers licence for 2 years and itll end up being 3 since i dont even have one now, its only 3 months at a uni then a few months at an ambulance base so i kinda dont want ti wait since its years away.
I just dont see why more college students my age dont move, i mean i get it when their planing on going to uni but some just wabt to go to college then get the job.

Money is my best bet. I know very few people who's parents are in a position to pay for their child to live elsewhere. It makes financial sense to stay with your parents until
a) you're working full time or are entitled to benefits to help pay for yourself (which you can't get as a full time student)

b) You have access to the student loan.

If it wasn't for the student loan there is absolutely NO WAY my parents could find an extra £8000 a year just because I want 'freedom'

Therefore the only students who can even consider it as an option are the one who have parents in a very healthy financial position!

Quick Reply

Latest