The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think its probably best to stabilise the site in its current format first, then the long task of upgrading can probably begin (due to the plug-ins).
Reply 2
barton
This old version is getting annoying.

The absence of the multiply quote function on a page is just one of the reason why this forum should be upgraded, surely with a license it should be free to do so?

It would be free to do so but if TSR upgraded we'd lose a whole load of other functionality. (Quite a bit of which is actually missing at the moment anyway.)
Reply 3
Nefarious
It would be free to do so but if TSR upgraded we'd lose a whole load of other functionality. (Quite a bit of which is actually missing at the moment anyway.)

hence now would be the best time to upgrade. then the old plugins can be added to the new uprade, and voila! super TSR!!
Reply 4
6+6=12
hence now would be the best time to upgrade. then the old plugins can be added to the new uprade, and voila! super TSR!!

Its probably easier to get them working in the environment that they were made for and then to upgrade them and the vB installation, than to upgrade vB and the plug-ins simultaneously.
Reply 5
Spunky
Its probably easier to get them working in the environment that they were made for and then to upgrade them and the vB installation, than to upgrade vB and the plug-ins simultaneously.

This is merely speculation but I suspect once TSR is fully functional again that's what they'll use the dev server for.
Reply 6
Nefarious
This is merely speculation but I suspect once TSR is fully functional again that's what they'll use the dev server for.

Me too. It makes sense.
Reply 7
Spunky
I think its probably best to stabilise the site in its current format first, then the long task of upgrading can probably begin (due to the plug-ins).

The fact that they are plugins would suggest that they would work on the newest version with minimal effort.
Reply 8
Moncal
The fact that they are plugins would suggest that they would work on the newest version with minimal effort.

Its taking some time to get them tested and implemented in the version we're using :smile: , it'll take longer if thats compounded with upgrading.
Reply 9
barton
This old version is getting annoying.

The absence of the multiply quote function on a page is just one of the reason why this forum should be upgraded, surely with a license it should be free to do so?

I wholeheartedly endorse this product and/or service.

In fact, I've already mentioned this at least three times before, since vB3.6 has been released, and never had a reply from an admin.
Reply 10
You can't just willy-nilly jump into an upgrade, especially not with a site this big (in terms of everything - including plug-ins). I think the admins are busy enough trying to get the functionality back for us at the moment, let them think about adding more functionality once the current problems have been remedied.
Reply 11
Spunky
Its taking some time to get them tested and implemented in the version we're using :smile: , it'll take longer if thats compounded with upgrading.

I believe that that is because they are blaming the plugins for the problems the site experienced right after pig left. Once they realize that it probably wasn't the plugins causing the problems they'll just pop them back in.
Reply 12
Moncal
I believe that that is because they are blaming the plugins for the problems the site experienced right after pig left. Once they realize that it probably wasn't the plugins causing the problems they'll just pop them back in.

It makes sense to test them before implementing them - that is the standard practice in industry at least.
Reply 13
Spunky
It makes sense to test them before implementing them - that is the standard practice in industry at least.

As J/CN have proved, they don't believe in that :rolleyes:

And welcome back Casey :smile:
Reply 14
brimstone
As J/CN have proved, they don't believe in that :rolleyes:

And welcome back Casey :smile:

They are doing exactly that now - everyone's allowed a mistake.

Cheers :biggrin: , its good to be back, I was on hiatus for nearly a year :eek: .
brimstone
As J/CN have proved, they don't believe in that

To be fair, things are actually progressing pretty quickly on the test server. :smile:
Reply 16
generalebriety
To be fair, things are actually progressing pretty quickly on the test server. :smile:

That they have. With over 20 plugins being tested this afternoon alone.
Reply 17
generalebriety

might go even quicker if they had bothered to inform all the testers...
Moncal

Hey, I never said they were perfect. :wink:

I was referring more to the development, not the testing.
Reply 19
Moncal

:s-smilie: I would've thought it'd be a mass PM job?

Latest

Trending

Trending