Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Beaten Depression/Anxiety, how can I start life again? Watch

Announcements

I am not sure what the reaction will be for this but I thought I would post it anyway.

I have been through Depression and Anxiety over the past 3 years and recently through seeing a Therapist I am now ready to take on things again. It has been a very long time. I have an Autism spectrum disorder as well so this is taken into account. When I first went into it I had finished University and I am yet to have a full-time 'career' job. In many aspects I am trying to pick up different areas in my life which 'chaotic'.

It has been 3 years and has been a very long time. I am scared about doing things again in the world because I have not done it in so long. I was wondering if this was a normal feeling for someone that has come out of Depression/Anxiety who was able to do things again? Does anyone have any any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse it is normal to be scared when you are doing things again after a long time. Even people who used to be the most outgoing will feel worried when starting to do things again. Just take things one day at a time, with supoort from others if possible. Good luck.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am not sure what the reaction will be for this but I thought I would post it anyway.

I have been through Depression and Anxiety over the past 3 years and recently through seeing a Therapist I am now ready to take on things again. It has been a very long time. I have an Autism spectrum disorder as well so this is taken into account. When I first went into it I had finished University and I am yet to have a full-time 'career' job. In many aspects I am trying to pick up different areas in my life which 'chaotic'.

It has been 3 years and has been a very long time. I am scared about doing things again in the world because I have not done it in so long. I was wondering if this was a normal feeling for someone that has come out of Depression/Anxiety who was able to do things again? Does anyone have any any advice?
    I think this is quite a common problem. It's easier said than done but try and take one step at a time. Write a list of your long term goals (finding a partner, getting a career etc) and the split them into smaller steps can take to achieve them. So to meet new people you could maybe join a sports club of something you enjoy, or to find a career you could see if you can do some volunteering in different areas while you're applying to jobs. Pick what you want to start with and hopefully gradually you'll work things out and get back to where you want to be again- good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's so great to hear a story like this! As scary as it is to look to the future, you need to remember her bright it is for you and how, even though it's scary, it's worth it. I wish you all the best of luck!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.