The Student Room Group

S1 Perms and Combs help?

Three families, the Mehtas, the Campbells and the Lams, go to the cinema together to watch a film. Mr and Mrs Mehta take their daughter Indira. Mr and Mrs Campbell take their ons Paul and Mark. Mrs Lam takes her children Susi, Kim and Lee. The families occupy a single row with eleven seats.
a) In how many of the arrangments will no two adults be sitting next to one another?

I thought it would be 6!*5*4*3*2*1 but that is far smaller than the answer which is 1814400
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
Ahhh... This is a nice one! Bit tricky and can be baffling, I've attached the solution below. Have fun!

Picture1.jpg
Reply 3
Original post by TheTechnoGuy
Ahhh... This is a nice one! Bit tricky and can be baffling, I've attached the solution below. Have fun!

Picture1.jpg

Ahh, that's tricky. Thanks a lot! 😊
Reply 4
Original post by TheTechnoGuy

Picture1.jpg

excellent approach
Reply 5
This exact question came in my mocks lol. Where did you get this from if you remember

Quick Reply

Latest