Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you recommend the following a-levels? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently a year 11 student who is in the final upcoming months to their GCSE exams. After my exams I plan on attending sixth form and studying a-levels at my current school.
    I think I am going to take the following subjects:
    Music
    Maths
    And Physics
    But I am wondering if anyone could give me any advice on if these are a good combination and the difficulty of them in comparison to the GCSE subjects. I understand that all of these subjects are classed as very academic but I am willing to take any advice on board! 😊
    Thanks 😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarinet_478)
    Hi, I am currently a year 11 student who is in the final upcoming months to their GCSE exams. After my exams I plan on attending sixth form and studying a-levels at my current school.
    I think I am going to take the following subjects:
    Music
    Maths
    And Physics
    But I am wondering if anyone could give me any advice on if these are a good combination and the difficulty of them in comparison to the GCSE subjects. I understand that all of these subjects are classed as very academic but I am willing to take any advice on board! 😊
    Thanks 😀
    Can only give advice about maths in afraid. In terms of subjects you've got a good mixture maths at AS I personally found easier than GCSE in terms of content but you've really got to do a lot of work and make sure you do a good bit each week to remember it all hope this helps. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    With regards to difficulty, I'd say that music at AS and A level is a very marked step up from GCSE in composition, performance, listening and analysis. It's doable and can be quite rewarding, but you will have to work at it. The other two of course complement each other very well. If you're looking to do maths, physics or something related at university and are aiming for a top university (Oxbridge, Imperial etc.) , perhaps adding further maths to the mix wouldn't go amiss, but otherwise this is probably more work than it's worth (and I wouldn't recommend that you replace music with it, as some universities prefer it as an additional A level). I reckon that you've got a good mix here though, and it might be good to take a 'break' from the sciences once in a while!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buzz321)
    Can only give advice about maths in afraid. In terms of subjects you've got a good mixture maths at AS I personally found easier than GCSE in terms of content but you've really got to do a lot of work and make sure you do a good bit each week to remember it all hope this helps. Good luck!
    Thank you very much. Okay my target for maths at GCSE is an A* and I am predicted an A* but I am just worried that I might not be able to cope with it as a full a level! Thanks again! 😊

ReputationRep:
    Be warned - music will take up as much time as your other subjects put together! Don't be fooled into thinking it's your easiest subject. That said, it's very rewarding and definitely worth doing. If you're predicted A* in Maths and enjoy the subject, you should absolutely take that too - it goes well with just about any other subject, and personally I really enjoy it. I can't really comment on Physics personally, but obviously it goes well together with maths.

It might be helpful to know what you're thinking of doing after A levels? If you want to study maths or physics further (especially at a good university) then you should being doing further maths, while if you want to carry on with music it might be worth taking another humanities/essay-based subject...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.