Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I go to prom? Watch

Announcements

I have prom coming up in June and I'm not sure if I will go. Right now I'm not really planning to go, mainly because I don't think I'll enjoy myself. Most of the people at my year have been horrible to me at least once, and if they're nice to me at prom, it would only be fake, and I really don't want to have to put up with that.

Yes, I understand prom is a time to spend with friends before school ends, but can't I just do that over the holidays, instead of wasting money on a prom that I won't even enjoy?

I'm also planning to go on holiday just after my exams, which Id probably enjoy more than prom. So I'd rather go on holiday instead.I'm just curious to what your opinion is for my situation. Thank you for helping
    • PS Reviewer
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Nah you don't have to go. But if you say that you'll spend time with them after the holidays, actually do it. It's very easy to say you'll 'meet up' then never do it.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't think you'll enjoy it don't go, besides there are tonnes of opportunities to go to parties like that later if you want to hang out with other people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have prom coming up in June and I'm not sure if I will go. Right now I'm not really planning to go, mainly because I don't think I'll enjoy myself. Most of the people at my year have been horrible to me at least once, and if they're nice to me at prom, it would only be fake, and I really don't want to have to put up with that.

Yes, I understand prom is a time to spend with friends before school ends, but can't I just do that over the holidays, instead of wasting money on a prom that I won't even enjoy?

I'm also planning to go on holiday just after my exams, which Id probably enjoy more than prom. So I'd rather go on holiday instead.I'm just curious to what your opinion is for my situation. Thank you for helping
    Completely up to you.
    I despised prom. No I lie. I loved the dressing up, having my mum do my hair and make-up, driving in a nice car and having my photos taken before hand. I hated the event.
    It's a lot of standing around making small talk telling everyone how good they look, then have a horrible meal and then 'dance' which most girls can't because of the size of their heels.
    I was the first person to leave our prom at 9pm, because I just didn't like it.I'm not one for gossip or after parties so I just went home.
    If you don't think you'll enjoy it, don't go, it gets expensive super fast.

ReputationRep:

You have 2 options

1) chill with your friends there (if they're going) and just enjoy yourself and not give a monkeys about the horrible peers being fake
    Spoiler:
    Show
    who knows if they're being really obviously fake you guys would even have a fake offand then you'll have an interesting story too tell you grandchildren
    2) don't go if you think you would be happier elsewhere and will not regret this decision

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel guilty for not wanting to go.

ReputationRep:
    its your choice and all but you might as well go! just think, its a brill excuse to get your hair and nails done and wear a stunning dress/suit.

you can roll up in a limo with your best friends as you spend time with your school mates from the past 5 years who you may never see again.

my prom is in july and a couple months ago i wasnt even thinking of going, now i am defiantly going and so excited and my mums just booked me an appointment at the hair salon on the day

but dont fell like you have to go, its your choice, you may have a fab holiday and meet up with your mates in your own time in a more relaxed environment. just make sure you do what YOU want to do

ReputationRep:
    Well......my prom was really **** n boring. Not worth all the hype imo

ReputationRep:
    Well, it is a once a lifetime thing. Make a confession to someone you like maybeeeeeeee...........

ReputationRep:

I am in the same kind of situation. Everyone at my school have started raising money for prom and have bought there dresses etc but I really don't want to go. I don't have many friends at school and people would be really fake there. Also why waste loads of money no one night when you can have a much better time doing other things.

If it's not your type of thing, then don't go. I know i am defiantly not!

ReputationRep:
    My prom was far too expensive and just a pretty dull night in general. If I could go back I probably would have saved myself the money.

ReputationRep:
    i was asked by two people and still didn't go i was moderately popular but i couldn't afford a nice car to show up in and there had a zero alcohol policy at prom
    but
    leavers assembly they had bucks fizz and everyone took photos and it was the last but still the greatest time seemin most of them

ReputationRep:
    I was pretty adamant that I wouldn't go and yeah.. I regret not going to mine.

ReputationRep:
    My secondary one was *****y as ****. I guess I didn't really like it because I didn't like/speak to more than half the people there. I am not going to my sixth form one either because I am lazy, even though I think it is going to be a lot better than my secondary school one.

Don't worry, I'm not going either! Mostly because likewise, I pretty much dislike most of the people in my year. They're shallow narcissists who will only judge people on what dress they'll be wearing on the day! And also like you, I'd much prefer going on holiday. (I'm also leaving the school and won't be going to the sixth form, so it doesn't really matter anyway.)
    If you want to make the decision easier, think it like this: would you rather someone say to you "you can't go" or "you have to go." if it's you can't, then I would say don't. If it's the latter, then maybe consider it.

ReputationRep:
    This is the United Kingdon, not the United States. Don't go.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.