The Student Room Group

Being a pianist at university

This may be the stupidest question ever, but do any universities offer music facilities that students can use, such as pianos?
It's just I have been a pianist most of my life and it's not a nice thought to think I'll have to live without being able to practice the piano when I want for months at a time.
Again I am really sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I have always wondered.
Yeah they usually have one or two available although you'll likely need to book it. If not there's bound to be some local place where this is one, providing you're willing to look around a bit.
Reply 2
Depends on the uni. My undergrad uni had a suite of music practice rooms, each with an upright piano, which could be booked by any students/staff for free. You might have to wait your turn, but I don't remember them being booked solid. They were all mostly empty on the odd occasions I went into that block. There was also a baby grand in an open hall, but access to it was limited by other activities in the hall such as keep fit classes, society meetings etc,
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88
Depends on the uni. My undergrad uni had a suite of music practice rooms, each with an upright piano, which could be booked by any students/staff for free. You might have to wait your turn, but I don't remember them being booked solid. They were all mostly empty on the odd occasions I went into that block. There was also a baby grand in an open hall, but access to it was limited by other activities in the hall such as keep fit classes, society meetings etc,

What university did you go to, if you don't me asking?
Original post by Bee657
What university did you go to, if you don't me asking?

couldn't you get a keyboard? I know it's not the same thing, but it means you could play in your room

Spoiler

I actually started to learn at uni. I got a keyboard for my room so I could practice without going out but my uni had music rooms you could go and use for free, there was a suite of around 7-8 piano rooms, you didn't book, just turned up but I never got there and found them all busy
If they offer a music programme m, it is likely that they will have at least one piano in the facility but you'll or ably need to book in advance and it may cost money :smile:
If the pianos are in the music study faculty, these will be given preference to music students who need to use them ahead of anyone else.

If you are flexible on times, then you can practice outside of busy periods which normally means mornings or late evenings. Most music facilities though, will be on a 24hr key holder only access with timed periods for non-music students.
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
I actually started to learn at uni. I got a keyboard for my room so I could practice without going out but my uni had music rooms you could go and use for free, there was a suite of around 7-8 piano rooms, you didn't book, just turned up but I never got there and found them all busy

What uni did you go to, out of curiosity?
My uni (Manchester) had music practice rooms in most of the halls, with a piano (though I have no idea if they were in tune or not!) and a (baby?) grand piano in the entrance to the students' union that anyone could just walk up to and play (that one was more for mini performances than practice - the sound carried through the cafe and reception area)
Original post by Bee657
What uni did you go to, out of curiosity?

Loughborough, my guess is that virtually all universities will have some sort of music facilities
A keyboard if you've got space in your room could be a solution. Turn the volume down or negotiate with your flatmates on practice times (depending on how thick the room walls are). If there's a society at your uni, join that & you might get more access to uni practice rooms or find out about others off campus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending