OCR Biology Unifying Concepts today... Watch

This discussion is closed.
kingpong
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
sooo, I just got back.

Not quite sure what I think at the moment, see if any of my answers match up with anyone else's.

:>

When I saw e-coli in the last question I felt like punching Mr.OCR straight in the balls. No fricken (normal) genetics questions, grrrrr.

The heart muscle question was pretty peasy, although I'm not quite sure about the last part.
MJ_23
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It was ok i guess, dunno how i really done. Easiest UC paper ever but it was still a little difficult.
curlyc3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
MOST of the questions were quite straight forward I htought but I really didn't have enough time!!! Could have been worse I think but i agree I woz definitely hoping for a simple genetics question to draw the test crosses n stuff! There wasn't much bout evolution either!! :mad:
ThunderCat8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Exam wasn't too bad at all really. Much nicer than I thought it would be. There were however still some strange questions that made me think. Like that 7mark question about "Homeostasis". I didn't like the way the question was worded. I ended up writing about alpha and beta cells in the islets of Langerhans and about ADH. Not sure if that's what they wanted though!

The exam was definately better than Physics Unifying Concepts! Let's see how nice Chemistry Unifying Concepts on thursday is (hopefully it is delicious, i need an A in chemistry!)
curlyc3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That homeostasis question woz a bit cruel really, coz i revised homeostasis loads but that question woz so vague i didn't really know what to include! I must admit i didn't write anything bout alpha n beta cells though?!?!Woz i the only one that woz short on time??
ThunderCat8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I literally finished with 1minute to spare. Harsh!
charlord
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i only just finished and totally rushed that lac operon question. TOTALLY messed up homeostasis because it it said fluid....oh well

and that action potential one and cell membranes, slightly misleading too!
curlyc3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Woz a bit harsh to throw in the lac operon i thought!! Damn ocr!!! Hav u got mammalian physiology aswell to do??! Have u bin told anything specific to revise?
ps. how do u start a thread?!?
kingpong
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
A couple of questions were really quite vague.

The homeostatis question I just went on aboutn regulating temperature, water content & glucose/urea levels and the consequences of too high/low.

The most vague question I thought was the transmission of action potential in the heart muscle. What did everyone put? I'd never come across a neuromuscular synapse that wasn't like your average one.
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i thought it was alright, especially compared to all the past papers. i thought the homeostasis was a good essay question because there was lots to say...all my friends said they thought it was hard and not enough time but i didn't think that, i work fast though. just have to wait and see!
ResidentEvil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hmm thats weird, I think im seeing conformity on this thread.....

Ok Im brave enough to say, I thought it was a hard and strange paper. I didn't like it and it's definitely not the easiest synoptic coz the Specimen synoptic is alot easier. Nobody in my school thought it was straight forward, and quite frankly it was quite a stomper. The questions had too much to read, u cant take it all in, and most of it just seems like I was waffling alot of unrelated answers. There was like one pretty straight forward "part" of a question, and because I did central concepts too, I found the lac operon one quite nice.

Anyway, initially I was feeling alrite coz people in my skool thought it was tough, but I am quite upset now coz most of u thought it was "alrite" .
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ResidentEvil)

Ok Im brave enough to say, I thought it was a hard and strange paper. I didn't like it and it's definitely not the easiest synoptic coz the Specimen synoptic is alot easier. Nobody in my school thought it was straight forward, and quite frankly it was quite a stomper. The questions had too much to read, u cant take it all in, and most of it just seems like I was waffling alot of unrelated answers. There was like one pretty straight forward "part" of a question, and because I did central concepts too, I found the lac operon one quite nice.

Anyway, initially I was feeling alrite coz people in my skool thought it was tough, but I am quite upset now coz most of u thought it was "alrite" .
i found it quite hard too, dont worry!

its so random.
mongoose
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ResidentEvil)

Ditto, it was the mingingest paper ever. I ran out of time, and my handwriting turned to piss! I missed a few questions out too... I'm hoping for at least half-marks.
adrian
Report 14 years ago
I was a little pushed for time as well. That homeostatis question was alrigh, though I didn't put anything about ADH or islets of langerhans. I was babbling on about substrate concentration in the blood affecting enzymes reactions and also about ionic content denaturing enzymes. I don't know if that was what they wanted tho.
annaholden
Report 14 years ago
wel i didnt like it, or the central concepts retake! grrr, so annoyed! think i was a bit too vague with most of my answers, just hoping that i get the key words in there tho! just hope i manage 2 get a b overall, think these 2 will b around a D/C though, so thats not too good! any1 doing genetics? think i best go revise that loads so i can get a decent mark in it!
Tanaz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
um!!! i thought i did ok until i spoke to my friends and so realised my answers dont quite match theirs :confused: ...
does any1 know if the marks are standardised??!?! i hope they are!.. by the way on the question in th 1st paperon the receptors(the very long question which had 7 marks) which initiate action potential (i think)??i included action potential definition, included ADH (osmoreceptors), inlcued hormones and also inlcuded synoptic node... apparently this is worng!! as i was suppose to write on ACTION POTENTIAL ONLY!! ... what did every1 else include
adrian
Report 14 years ago
Can anyone remember the exact wording of the homeostatis question on UC. I'm beginning to wonder if they wanted to know 'how' the body maintained the homeostatic properties of bodily fluids, or 'why'?
annaholden
Report 14 years ago
i did just about the action potential, but i cant remember the question anymore so i dunno what we were supposed 2 do! i wrote mostly that explanation of the graph showing an action potential in the text book.
annaholden
Report 14 years ago
ummm, think it was why but not sure as i dont hav the paper! HOPE it was why!
adrian
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tanaz)
um!!! i thought i did ok until i spoke to my friends and so realised my answers dont quite match theirs :confused: ...
does any1 know if the marks are standardised??!?! i hope they are!.. by the way on the question in th 1st paperon the receptors(the very long question which had 7 marks) which initiate action potential (i think)??i included action potential definition, included ADH (osmoreceptors), inlcued hormones and also inlcuded synoptic node... apparently this is worng!! as i was suppose to write on ACTION POTENTIAL ONLY!! ... what did every1 else include
Wrote about depolarisation, repolarisation, refractory period, -70mV changing to +40mv, Voltage gated channels sodium/potassium pump. That's all I can remember at the mo.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (22)
44%
Pro-humanity (28)
56%