Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

LSE MOG vs Imperial Mgmt vs St Andrews Mgmt Watch

• View Poll Results: Which would you prefer as a non-UK graduate recruiter?
    LSE - MSc Management, Organisation & Governance
    50.00%
    Imperial - MSc Management
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    Throughout the years I have come to this forum to look up anything study related - heck, even work related stuff. I'm now in somewhat of a dilemma. I applied to three schools for MSc and got accepted to all three.

I have received offers for the following three programmes:
    MSc Management - Imperial
    MSc Management, Organisations and Governance - LSE
    MLitt Management - St Andrews

I am not really considering St Andrews as it was more of a "test" application in the first place.

I am faced with the dilemma of choosing between LSE and Imperial, which are both great schools. LSE maybe has a stronger reputation, slightly stronger links to industry and a better alumni base for someone potentially graduating within Management.

However, the MSc Management programme at Imperial is more hands on with a stronger business focus. It grasps all upon all the different areas of business (from finance & accounting to operations) and involves a lot of group work.

LSE on the other hand is more theoretical (as it tends to be), with the course focused more on the interaction of organisations in society with a number of electives - where I could choose finance, accounting, ops etc. The class is also smaller.

I'm not sure LSE ----> Imperial is true in my case. Both are one year programmes. I opted not to apply to the 2-year LSE MiM programme due to its duration and cost, and MOG offered the benefit of a 1-year degree. The cost of both programmes is nearly identical.

I am an EU student with a UK undergrad from a politics background going into financial services (already have placements lined up). I'm just not sure Imperial's overall reputation and programme holds up outside the UK as well as LSE's does whether it be in Europe, Asia or the US.

What do you guys think? Is MOG at LSE too "political" to be attractive for employers & does Imperial hold up globally against LSE?

Exciting times....

ReputationRep:
    The MOG course offered at LSE focuses more on the theoretical aspects of management and governance (think: sociology, philosophy...) whereas the MSc Management at Imperial seems to have a more holistic and hands-on approach on most aspects of (applied) business management - finance, management consulting...

It depends on what potential careers you're looking at actually. I would think that the course at Imperial offers more opportunities towards corporate management/ entrepreneurship, whereas that of LSE is more theoretical and academic.

I might be wrong because I didn't attend either of the courses but in this case I would personally go with Imperial, given that I've heard very positive comments regarding their career services.

All the best!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your quick reply! Yeah I got a good impression of their career service when I visited in November.

Overall, Imperial has given a good impression but I feel stupid if I were to turn down LSE. In 10 years I'm not sure if the specific differences in modules will matter, but I may be wrong. However, it may be a dealbreaker for graduate placement within financial services/consulting although I have upcoming placements in both industries.

Such a difficult decision to make.

I went to the MiM programme session at LSE and was not impressed nearly as much. MOG, however, is a completely different programme and I have the option of choosing modules freely. So technically, I could add similar modules to those at Imperial and get a slightly similar experience out of MOG at LSE (albeit more theoretical and with modules in more polisci related subjects - which isn't a bad thing either).

Something minor, but noteworthy: LSE allows me to pay after the registration DL. Imperial wants the first instalment not long after taking up the offer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.