Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Computing in Imperial College London 2016 Application Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

I have applied for the Computing Course at Imperial and received an interview invitation for the 17th February 2016. However, I am from the EU and I wanted to ask you guys if Imperial accepts interviews through Skype?

Also, I would be really grateful if somebody could share some example questions he's been asked in the interview. It would surely help me a lot!

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, current JMC students under Department of Computing here.

The department's policy is to invite everyone within practical reach (i.e. local or EU applicants) to the campus, and interview others via Skype or an admissions test. While this gives interviewers a chance to get to know you personally, it also gives you the chance to know more about the department and Imperial, since the interview day also involves student/research demos and a guided tour around campus.

If you believe getting to London for interview is logistically infeasible, I would recommend you to email your Computing admissions contact to see if Skype interview is possible. I believe it could be arranged, though you have to email them as early as possible (say before Monday morning).

Interview questions mainly come from three domains:
    - Personal statement questions: Usually for ice-breaking, the interviewer may ask you on things you wrote on your PS - projects, motivation, plans, and so on. They use these info to assess your motivation and potential to take a Computing course.
    - Maths questions: Graph sketching, differentiation and integration, (infinite) series, and more A-level topics. They are looking on your way of thinking, i.e. HOW you solve the questions, but not what you get at the end. So spell out your thoughts.
    - Problem solving questions: Logic riddles, finding patterns in questions, brain teasers, and so on. Unfortunately I can't tell you what exactly the questions are, but again spell out your thoughts, work with the lecturer to solve the problems, and ask/take their hints.

Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    A very thoroughgoing answer, liu.chbn. Thank you very much! This certainly gave me a better point of view and information about what I will encounter soon.

Thanks again!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.