Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Apprenticeship completed, to degree or not to degree? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbor)
    My current job is an Environmental Navigation and Science Assembly Integration and Test Engineer (pretty long title). I basically look after the assembly, integration and test of one of the ESA science projects going on at the moment. It does have it's cool moments, I'm sitting at a computer half the time, and down in the clean rooms the other half fitting items to the space craft. It's very much a 'beginning to end' kind of job. The only problem is with the Aerospace industry, is that the workload undulates massively, so you could be doing quite literally nothing for 4 weeks, and then have a week of 12 hours days.

But yes, at my age I don't want to sink into a job that i'll stay in for 30 years, and this could quite easily be that kind of job, so I want to keep my options open for as long as possible. By getting a degree and becoming chartered will definitely help me with this - it also means I may get the chance to experience other engineering industries.
    You sound like you know where you want do go (or at least know where you don't want to be stuck), so a degree and, further down the line, chartership, will open up more options, such as going into design, analysis and the like. I would also enquire about sponsorship opportunities from your employer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.