Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I can hear hissing from EGR intercooler but can't see any holes ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The hose that goes to my EGR intercooler, well I think I can hear a hiss from it.

Ever since my friend replaced the EGR and manifold (which took longer than 1 week) I have heard a hissing sound during accelerating, usually very faint but sounds much louder in the cold weather. you can't really hear it unless you are driving in the car.

A friend noticed the other week when looking under the bonnet that the intercooler to my EGR was making a hissing noise , I was surprised as you can only usually hear it I think during driving.

I looked at intercooler but could see no holes, do you think it has a leak somewhere on the intercooler ?

Maybe when he was replacing the EGR he had damaged the intercooler somehow as I only began hearing the hiss as soon as I got the car back form EGR replacement last summer

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked all the hoses around the intake manifold, turbo and EGR? It is possible one of them was damaged by accident or just developed a split. Go and have a good feel of all of them as it could be hidden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    Have you checked all the hoses around the intake manifold, turbo and EGR? It is possible one of them was damaged by accident or just developed a split. Go and have a good feel of all of them as it could be hidden.
    No, I haven't, I don't know much about car's and despite knowing where the egr intercooler is, I don't really know where the other hoses are.

My friend who is a master technician checked a while ago and said he found nothing wrong but he often dismisses things sometimes as not there when they actually are there so I may get a garage tot check for me.
    If you live in the North West region of England, I would like you to take a look for me

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I live in East Anglia. To make it easier, just go in your engine and check every flexible tube you can see.

See the attached picture. A split like this in such a hose could cause the sound you are describing.

Name:  hose.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  134.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    I'm afraid I live in East Anglia. To make it easier, just go in your engine and check every flexible tube you can see.

See the attached picture. A split like this in such a hose could cause the sound you are describing.

Name:  hose.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  134.2 KB

Right, I will probably try and look tomorrow but half of the hoses look difficult to access due to
    things being in the way, lol

Also, since the day I bought the car I hear a chugging noise occasionally, usually when engine not fully hot and only when idling/stationery.

EGR valve has been replaced so can't be that, glow plugs were checked a while ago for a different reason and each one glowed when tested so not sure if that means they are okay ?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.