Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm an Italian student, I will be applying for the medicine course starting in 2017 this year. As for grades I think I'll manage to get at least a score of 90 out of 100, but I think I'll get more than that, probably around 95, what I'm worried about is my work/volunteer experience, lately I've been serving as a volunteer at a soup kitchen, and I'm taking the red cross's course to become a volunteer with them. I have asked some doctors about shadowing but they told me that I can't do that because there would be problems with insurances or something like that (anyway they told me here in Italy I can't do it), I might get to work for a pharmacy handing out leaflets or something like that this summer, but other than that I can't quite think of what else to do. With the red cross I'll probably do some volunteering in a hospice or where there's need, do you think my volunteering/work experience is enough or should I do more?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommaso99)
    Hello, I'm an Italian student, I will be applying for the medicine course starting in 2017 this year. As for grades I think I'll manage to get at least a score of 90 out of 100, but I think I'll get more than that, probably around 95, what I'm worried about is my work/volunteer experience, lately I've been serving as a volunteer at a soup kitchen, and I'm taking the red cross's course to become a volunteer with them. I have asked some doctors about shadowing but they told me that I can't do that because there would be problems with insurances or something like that (anyway they told me here in Italy I can't do it), I might get to work for a pharmacy handing out leaflets or something like that this summer, but other than that I can't quite think of what else to do. With the red cross I'll probably do some volunteering in a hospice or where there's need, do you think my volunteering/work experience is enough or should I do more?
    Thanks
    Many applicants dont get to shadow a doctor, and med schools know it is hard to arrange. The important thing is to get experience in a caring environment - if you can get a volunteering placement in a hospice then that is ideal as it gives you experience of the non-glamorous side of healthcare and that is one of the big things med schools want to see.

ReputationRep:
    It's not necessarily essential to shadow a doctor but volunteering + shadowing is better than volunteering alone.

I would keep asking doctors (I presume it's not impossible, just a bit more complicated for them to set up...?) and if not think about what you could do to replace shadowing. The point of shadowing is to find out more about what doctors actually do. Perhaps some local doctors might allow you to interview them about their routine, challenges, how they feel about the job, etc? You could then say that you did this to find out about the profession as well as volunteering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theresheglows)
    Many applicants dont get to shadow a doctor, and med schools know it is hard to arrange. The important thing is to get experience in a caring environment - if you can get a volunteering placement in a hospice then that is ideal as it gives you experience of the non-glamorous side of healthcare and that is one of the big things med schools want to see.
    That's great! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    It's not necessarily essential to shadow a doctor but volunteering + shadowing is better than volunteering alone.

I would keep asking doctors (I presume it's not impossible, just a bit more complicated for them to set up...?) and if not think about what you could do to replace shadowing. The point of shadowing is to find out more about what doctors actually do. Perhaps some local doctors might allow you to interview them about their routine, challenges, how they feel about the job, etc? You could then say that you did this to find out about the profession as well as volunteering.
    I'll keep trying then and if I can't I'll ask some doctors about information, thank you for the answer!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.