The Student Room Group

Would you use an essay writing service?

Poll

Would you use an essay writing service?

A discussion at work today brought up the subject of essay writing services - people were quite split on whether they would ever use one, and if this was right or wrong.

So....

Would you ever use an essay writing service for your assignments or dissertation (or have you in done so in the past) and submit this as your own work?

Would you use the service, but only use the work they provide as a guide to help you write your own essay / dissertation?

Undecided

Never use one

Quite interested if anyone did use one, and submitted the work as their own, if your college / university found out?

I work as an assessor and get lots of work submitted where people have just copied and pasted their answers from websites (and it drives me insane!). It's usually easy to spot and easy to check, but essay writing services are often custom services, which are a different ball game.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I would never trust that they would write something truly new that meets the requirements I have.

I would also feel so guilty it wouldn't be worth it.
The worry would be that what the service has written has been used before and therefore can be spotted.

As the service has no way of proving this it is risky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Nope... never/ I think it`s cheating
This is exactly the reason our education system and 'elite top unis' don't mean anything:wink:

Your degree won't mean much other than a piece of paper and it should mean so much more than that.

In my experience, I liked writing essays and I don't think any service could write as good as myself.
The important caveats needed here the risk of being caught and the cost.

From what I've seen they are very expensive (at least going by student economics!) and I don't know how big the risk is of being caught.
Original post by skeptical_john
The important caveats needed here the risk of being caught and the cost.

From what I've seen they are very expensive (at least going by student economics!) and I don't know how big the risk is of being caught.

Depends if they use a stock essay or write a fresh one.

One would assume the more expensive ones are the fresh ones but who knows unless you have used them

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't. It's a shame people think of essays as some sort of drag. A degree should be about learning and exploring a subject one is passionate about.
Saw another thread like this I'm sure!!! Anyway...

No... Apart from the risk of being caught, doing essays myself helps me to understand and learn the concepts which I'm also going to need later in exams... I might as well do the work myself because it'll help in the long run. Also, I don't overly mind writing essays once I've got into them...

plus, the money... having to pay for something which let's be honest, will probably be an absolute piece of crap!
No, never.

Writing essays helps you understand the concepts on the subject you're learning. I quite enjoy writing anyway, but even when I'm struggling I'm glad I have the opportunity to do so.

What's the point of going to university, paying all that money to go in the first place and then using a service to do the work for you? Make no sense.
Reply 10
The man who helps students to cheat.

Most students are happy to work hard, try their best and accept the consequences. But there are a host of commercial essay writers who are prepared to help those who can't be bothered.

Marek Jezek is the pseudonym he's currently using, but there have been many others. He's bright, hard-working, and loves learning - loves the intellectual challenge of taking on a new subject. And there have been many.

"Philosophy, psychology, nursing, education, physics," he lists, counting them off on his fingers, "criminology, hospitality management, ethics, management."The marks are all first-class, and there's a long list of the universities where the work was submitted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36276324
No never. How can you develop your writing style if you let other people write for you? Not to mention it's ethically wrong, it's cheating and an insult to those of us who work hard to write our essays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do they actually work? I often considered it at times but morally it feels wrong.
Original post by FailedTeacher
This is exactly the reason our education system and 'elite top unis' don't mean anything:wink:

Your degree won't mean much other than a piece of paper and it should mean so much more than that.

In my experience, I liked writing essays and I don't think any service could write as good as myself.

Just realised how big headed I sound.

What i meant is, I don't think any essay writing service would really capture the content of what I needed to write about without being a part of my uni, meeting the tutors, being at the lectures and knowing the expectations.

I would also just feel like I cheated ...

The only service worth paying for is having it proof-read. A lot of students can have great content but struggle to deliver it.
God no.

1) I would feel guilty.
2) I'd feel so embarrassed if I got caught!
3) I'm doing my course because I want to be good in my subject area. If I get someone else to do the work I'm not learning and thus slacking on my goals.
I like that you did not omit the variant about guidance. I have created the thread about one online writing service my friend uses and I am really curious what people think about it. Imagine that it is made to make you succeed. So, nobody will write the paper for you. It is just an opportunity to get the good grade. So, you may also ask your friend to read your work or the expert can do that. what would choose?
My husband writes assignments. He has a Masters degree in Health research methods and has worked as an academic researcher both in the UK and in the USA. He only writes in the area of health, research methods,nursing and occasionally medicine. I'm a retired (early) acute care nurse practitioner with advanced clinical decision making skills (Masters level) and also research and teaching qualifications. I also worked in critical care for 12 years so together we make a good team. His work is all original and he does undergraduate and post graduate assignments. I understand that a lot of undergraduate full time students may see people using such services as pure cheating and that part of the learning that comes from a degree is essay writing skills and that people shpuld have learned how to write essays whilst studying at A level . However undergraduate nursing students,particulalrly those who enter as mature students , may not have studied at A level. Addditionally, unlike a lot of other undergraduate courses, student nurses to complete 4600 hours of theory and practise in 3 years which equates to 30hrs per week on average. Clinical placements are very stressful and mature students are often juggling to balance home and work life. In the example of nursing newly qualified nurses applying for jobs will be interviewed by nurses and to be perfectly honest they'll be more concerned about whether someone has compassion, basic clinical knowledge and the practical skills to be able to provide decent basic nursing care. They aren't going to be asking about reflections on practice or theorising contemporary issues in nursing. When it comes to post grad nursing courses such as nurse prescribing a lot of those students are holding down full time busy and stressful jobs in the NHS as well as looking after a family.
Not a chance!
I need BBB to get on the course that I want but I want AAA but if I do not earn those then they are meaningless.
My grades go on things like ability and attendance and since August I have missed one class (moral dilemma but I went to my grans funeral) and I was in for the afternoon class. I am never late even though I am driving 20+ miles each way. I have passed every assessment (admittedly some with remediation) even though there are some 100% pass marks with no option of 99% passes.
I have a very clear path and while it does require opportunities being presented to me, I want to earn my place and I can only do that through my own merits
(edited 7 years ago)
No, it's cheating. The point to to discipline your mind - not to get a good grade without doing the work.
Reply 19
My ass will be on fire any minute now. While I have never paid to get my assignments done, I have been paid to write for other people. It is cheap (mind you, I get paid £18 per 3000 words essay and have to write within 2 days) but quality is never more than a merit and I warn the students. Yet...they keep coming back and...I should be ashamed to say that I like the money I get. I can earn around £80p/w.
I won't say everyone should do this. In fact, turn away the students if you want to.

Latest