The Student Room Group

Social work placement problems

Hi
I am currently in my final year of my social work degree, today I have been removed from my placement with 35 days left to go. I have not been treat great, and my onsite supervisor clearly didn't like me from the start. I have been ignored, not supported, not guided and now been removed from my placement with no explanation from my uni only told I cannot go back to placement. I have no idea what I have done but now I do not know where I stand. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you
Original post by Caroline5868
Hi
I am currently in my final year of my social work degree, today I have been removed from my placement with 35 days left to go. I have not been treat great, and my onsite supervisor clearly didn't like me from the start. I have been ignored, not supported, not guided and now been removed from my placement with no explanation from my uni only told I cannot go back to placement. I have no idea what I have done but now I do not know where I stand. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you

You need to try again with the uni staff- firstly the person whose organising the placements and failing that your advisor. Make clear you want to meet with them to discuss why you were removed. Failing that you need to go to your student union- they should have someone who can help with course problems such as yours.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
You need to try again with the uni staff- firstly the person whose organising the placements and failing that your advisor. Make clear you want to meet with them to discuss why you were removed. Failing that you need to go to your student union- they should have someone who can help with course problems such as yours.

Hi thank you, I have been removed due to the concerns after I confided in a colleague from the team. That I had expressed I was unhappy with my supervisor, my placement thought it was best I didn't carry on.

I have just been told that I have to start my 100 days again at a new placement -I thought I would be placed somewhere else to finish my 35 outstanding days.

Does anyone know where I stand as this causes implications for finances my last student finance payment is May, not to mention all the hours I have spent on my portfolio.

I was removed with no further action I did not chose to move.

Thank you
Hi thank you, I have been removed due to the concerns after I confided in a colleague from the team. That I had expressed I was unhappy with my supervisor, my placement thought it was best I didn't carry on.

I have just been told that I have to start my 100 days again at a new placement -I thought I would be placed somewhere else to finish my 35 outstanding days.

Does anyone know where I stand as this causes implications for finances my last student finance payment is May, not to mention all the hours I have spent on my portfolio.

Thank you

Afraid this is something you really need to discuss with your university.

Thank you

You need to bear in mind that this may be for the best. Restarting your placement may be better than failing it and there must have been a good chance that your poor relationship with your supervisor was reciprocated in her opinions about you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you're actually really lucky that they are giving you an opportunity to do another placement... I know people who failed and had to re-do their entire year.

I'm afraid what you went through is not uncommon. A lot of supervisors get pressured into taking students or they do it to get up into management roles. I think you have to take from it a lesson in working practice and reflect on what you could have done differently, Ie discussing issues with your tutor rather than a colleague and approaching issues in a different way.

My first placement was awful for similar reasons but I stuck it out and my uni chose not to place there again. It helps to remember why you wanted to go into this profession in the first place and hold onto your values that brought you there in the first place. Good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest