Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tonsils Watch

Announcements

I think i have tonsillitus but not sure mytonsil were red now the side facing teeth is pink but other is coated in music and whole bottom of tonsils are whitey grey. But im unable to go doctors for a week as away and there shut weekends am i going to be ok?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If it gets really bad call NHS 111 and look for out of hours care.

Many people look after themselves at home http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Tonsill...Treatment.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Feverish at all?

Tonsilitis wont kill you so if you have to wait a while, shouldn't be a problem. If your worried, check your local Walk In centre, should be on Google.

They are normally very good and will see you immediately most of the time
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think i have tonsillitus but not sure mytonsil were red now the side facing teeth is pink but other is coated in music and whole bottom of tonsils are whitey grey. But im unable to go doctors for a week as away and there shut weekends am i going to be ok?
    Go to doc when possible. Make sure it isn't getting too much worse. Home remedies.

Try a walk in clinic. the wait can be quite long but they are open weekends and you don't have to be registered in the area.
    Tonsilitis can really suck and in some cases can lead to other complications. The infection can spread to the chest for example, or in really bad cases (usually multiple occasions of it) you can even need your tonsils removed. Usually it's just a matter of a couple of weeks feeling pathetic.

Getting it looked at is always a good plan just to be safe though and they will probably be able to give you something to help it (though may not if you don't want anything or it isn't that serious). There's also the possibility it could be something else of corse so if it starts to seem like it is't tonsitis or like you are getting more symptoms get it checked.You should be fine if you do have tonsilitis (sounds like you probably do) but i'd suggest going to see a doctor or at least contacting a pharmacist or 111 for advice.

In the meantime just keep an eye out for if it gets any worse and try some home remedies. Honey, warm drinks and steaming are good for easing a sore throat. Avoid milk and chocolate if you are mucusie (they make it worse). Be sure to stay hydrated and keep eating right. Don't push yourself too much either (no strenuous exercise) you need to let your body use it's energy to heal.

Oh and don't take antibiotics unless advised to by a doctor. Some people think it's a fix all for flu and things. Tonsilitis can sometimes be caused bybacteria but can also be viral, There's no point in taking antibiotics if it isnt bacterial and it can even mean they won't work on later infections. Different ones are also better for different types of infection so your doctor would be able to choose the best one.

ReputationRep:
    Does your local area have a walk in clinic? If you can't get a doctors appointment I'd think of going to one of them. The thing is with tonsillitis, if you don't go to the doctors then they don't note it down and you cxan't get them removed if you get it numerous times a year.

When you go to the doctors, they'll give you antibiotics and they're the best thing for tonsillitis.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no doctor but I have had tonsillitis and my symptoms were pretty much as yours.
    I needed antibiotics.
    If you can't see a doctor then I suggest you go to your nearest pharmacy and at least get some advice from the Pharmacist there.
    I know it's no fun. Good luck.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.