Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE Art 2016 (Diary???) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (i literally just joined the forums, so sorry if this isn't in the most appropriate place? yikes)

anyway, so i've chosen diary as my starting point for the mock exam, and for my final piece i wanted to do something similar to frida kahlo's work - like, a portrait (purely bc portraiture is my strong suit) which incorporates symbolism, and reflects the subject's life. however, i'm not too good with artists, so i'm not quite sure of any particulars (such as frida) who paint mostly about their life and thoughts/feelings, and i was wondering if anyone else (who knew a lot more than i do) had any ideas of similar ones for me too look into? i'm sure there's lots, but i'm not sure what to look for or where to start. thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Kahlo's work seems to revolve a lot around her and her life experiences, considering this - Cindy Sherman (even though she is a photographer) and her project of untitled film stills may conjure up some more ideas about self portraiture. Sherman would photographer herself as if it was a screen grab from a movie, many view her photographs as empowering and feminist (which is how I believe some would also view Kahlo and her work?)...

Frida Kahlo I think is connected to the Surrealist art movement (please double check as it's been a couple of years since I studied surrealism), so it could be a good idea to look at other Surrealist artists, Salvador Dali, Marcel Duchamp, Leonora Carrington, Leonor Fini etc. Might be worthwhile to look at Marc Chagall's work too, Kahlo's work reminds me of the colours and shapes Chagall used within some of his work.

hope this helps :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.