Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What degree is more credible? Business Management & Economics BSC or Economics BSC Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I received an Unconditional Offer (With both my AS & A2 grades pending ie No current A Level qualifications) to study Business Management & Economics at University of Roehampton.

I wanted to know what degree is more credible, Business Management & Economics BSC or Economics BSC?

Please let me know ASAP
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deenattireco)
    Hello,

I received an Unconditional Offer (With both my AS & A2 grades pending ie No current A Level qualifications) to study Business Management & Economics at University of Roehampton.

I wanted to know what degree is more credible, Business Management & Economics BSC or Economics BSC?

Please let me know ASAP
    Thank you
    Hi,

In theory Business Management and Economics BSC would be more credible, mainly because as well as economics, the degree has the management side to Business, which is valued by employers, because they would see leadership and management qualities, rather than just an economics degree.

TornadoLord125

ReputationRep:
    I was told the opposite, in regards to an Economics degree, it is more in depth in comparison to Business Management & Economics where Economics is not bring taught as in depth as a standalone Economics Degree.

ReputationRep:
    Being*

ReputationRep:
    I was told the opposite, in regards to an Economics degree, it is more in depth in comparison to Business Management & Economics where Economics is not bring taught as in depth as a standalone Economics Degree.
    This is true, however it depends what industry you would want to work in? If it is finance, then it would be more beneficial to do a management and economics degree. I mean at the end of the day, it is down to in depth research of the two degrees,and also visit open and applicant days, they are amazing at providing thorough detail about degrees.

TornadoLord125

ReputationRep:
    Econ definitely

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should base your decision around what is more "credible" as they are both similar courses, you should look at the course materials to see if you have a interest in one more than the other

ReputationRep:
    BSC Economics is the more credible subject, as the BSC Economics and Business Management will be less in depth, as the subject is watered down on both sides, the Economics side and the Business Management side.

Employers however, if they are aware, do not favour the neoclassical edit of some Economics degrees, so if you have a joint honours which separates you from the neoclassical school of thought - you might be better doing the joint honour degree of BSC Business Management and Economics.

Essentially, what job do you want? Employers will differ further about what applicant they would want between what occupation they are in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TornadoLord125)
    This is true, however it depends what industry you would want to work in? If it is finance, then it would be more beneficial to do a management and economics degree. I mean at the end of the day, it is down to in depth research of the two degrees,and also visit open and applicant days, they are amazing at providing thorough detail about degrees.

TornadoLord125
    Not really, you use 10% of what has been taught in your degrees. The majority of people in banking/financial services have an economics degree. Economics is more open, management I feel would confine you, similar to A&F. They expect you to go down a certain route, unless of course you got to Oxford

ReputationRep:
    Replied

(Original post by TornadoLord125)
    Hi,

In theory Business Management and Economics BSC would be more credible, mainly because as well as economics, the degree has the management side to Business, which is valued by employers, because they would see leadership and management qualities, rather than just an economics degree.

TornadoLord125

ReputationRep:
    The website states Business Management & Economics degree but as a Single Honours Degree

(Original post by NatalieEXE)
    BSC Economics is the more credible subject, as the BSC Economics and Business Management will be less in depth, as the subject is watered down on both sides, the Economics side and the Business Management side.

Employers however, if they are aware, do not favour the neoclassical edit of some Economics degrees, so if you have a joint honours which separates you from the neoclassical school of thought - you might be better doing the joint honour degree of BSC Business Management and Economics.

Essentially, what job do you want? Employers will differ further about what applicant they would want between what occupation they are in!

ReputationRep:
    I want to get into the finance industry however not really keen on Investment banking or similar. Ideally a Tax Accountant or similar job role within Finance.

ReputationRep:
    The website states Business Management & Economics degree but as a Single Honours Degree
    If its a single degree i would choose this.

ReputationRep:
    So it being a Single Honours Degree is better, I just called Roehampton to confirm and they stated Business Management & Economics Undergraduate Degree is a Single Honours Degree.

(Original post by chikane)
    If its a single degree i would choose this.

ReputationRep:
    If the degree is a single honours degree, which Business Management & Economics is, does that mean both Business Management and Economics are taught in depth, not watered down versions?

(Original post by cathrg26)
    Not really, you use 10% of what has been taught in your degrees. The majority of people in banking/financial services have an economics degree. Economics is more open, management I feel would confine you, similar to A&F. They expect you to go down a certain route, unless of course you got to Oxford

ReputationRep:
    Even if Business Management & Economics is a Single Honours Degree?

(Original post by cathrg26)
    Econ definitely

ReputationRep:
    Oh I am sorry, well the point still stands that both subjects won't be in as much depth as if they were taken separately (regardless of my error of terminology, joint honours/single honours...)

ReputationRep:
    Oh I am sorry, well the point still stands that both subjects won't be in as much depth as if they were taken separately (regardless of my error of terminology, joint honours/single honours...)
    Ah okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I want to get into the finance industry however not really keen on Investment banking or similar. Ideally a Tax Accountant or similar job role within Finance.
    In such case, you are at no advantage from one to the other, from a source who is the head of recruitment at a well-known Head Office bank in Canary Wharf, your final grade and the opportunities you took up and achievements you have made during your university experience is what marks your credibility and employability- e.g. they have taken on an employee who studied 'Psychology' (rare example though)

As your course choices are similar, and you don't want to become an economist, the BSc Econ/Business Management might open up placements in Business (potentially Financial) equally, BSc Econ might open up placements in Finance.

What subject do you feel you would get the better final grade in?

ReputationRep:
    Is A level grades regarded as highly important by these firms?

What sort of oppurtunuites should I endeavour to take up at University other than a Part-time job at a Supermarket (Which I currently have).

I feel I would excel better in Business Management and Economics in comprison to Economics however would rather achieve a 2:1 than a First in the more credible degree that will get me a job with a good average starting salary.

In such case, you are at no advantage from one to the other, from a source who is the head of recruitment at a well-known Head Office bank in Canary Wharf, your final grade and the opportunities you took up and achievements you have made during your university experience is what marks your credibility and employability- e.g. they have taken on an employee who studied 'Psychology' (rare example though)

As your course choices are similar, and you don't want to become an economist, the BSc Econ/Business Management might open up placements in Business (potentially Financial) equally, BSc Econ might open up placements in Finance.

What subject do you feel you would get the better final grade in?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.