The Student Room Group

SAS soldiers dressed in burqa in order to sneak in and kill ISIS targets

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by AlwaysWatching
The express is a poor newspaper, but its not allowed to deliberately make stuff up. There must be some grounding of truth, even if its been exaggerated.

Dont get confused between an awareness of bias and alleging that its a conspiracy. It's the same with any newspaper - be aware of the bias, but don't let the awareness blind you. There isn't an agenda to everything.

Even if that's true, I'm fairly sure it does pretty much deliberately make up some of the guff it publishes and just makes up a source to cover themselves, the ridiculous weather scare stories they make before every winter being a prime example, every year (and sometimes every week in winter, their latest scare story was yesterday) they predict a 'Big Freeze' and the 'Coldest Winter in 60 years' months in advance and cite the same single source, 'James Madden of Exacta Weather', I don't even know whether this dude even exists and I can't recall when one of his wild forecasts turned out to be even 10% true :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tsr_420
What do you define as 'Some grounding of truth'? The article literally just says ' a source' without getting into anymore detail. I think it's reasonable to question an article's validity when there is no properly cited source.

Grounding of truth = the event must have happened. They cant simply make stuff up. How they interpret it is up to them.

obviously they aren't going to name the source when it comes to the UKSF through unofficial routes (the UKSF doesn't get talked about by the government ever) They aren't allowed to expose them by law. All UK newspapers never name sources when it comes to UKSF operations. Look around the guardian or the times, its the same.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Olie
Even if that's true, I'm fairly sure it does pretty much deliberately make up some of the guff it publishes and just makes up a source to cover themselves, the ridiculous weather scare stories they make before every winter being a prime example, every year (and sometimes every week in winter, their latest scare story was yesterday) they predict a 'Big Freeze' and the 'Coldest Winter in 60 years' months in advance and cite the same single source, 'James Madden of Exacta Weather', I don't even know whether this dude even exists and I can't recall when one of his wild forecasts turned out to be even 10% true :lol:

As I said, how they interpret it is up to them. But, legally, they can't simply make stuff up.

Also forecasting is different to the news. Again, whilst they cant make forecasts up, it is down to them to interpret the data. News and weather forecasts are different, since news has happened, and weather forecasts are predictions.
Reply 43
Original post by Arkasia
I thought disguising yourself as a civilian went against the ROE for the joint forces?

Rules of Engagement against ISIS?
Either you are a troll or you have a very strange perception of the world ...
... and there are users which repped the comment ...
Original post by AlwaysWatching
As I said, how they interpret it is up to them. But, legally, they can't simply make stuff up.

Also forecasting is different to the news. Again, whilst they cant make forecasts up, it is down to them to interpret the data. News and weather forecasts are different, since news has happened, and weather forecasts are predictions.

Is it actually illegal to print a made-up story? I've read some right whoopers in my time. I read once in one of the less reputable newspapers, possible the Star, in an international news roundup section the CIA had successfully deployed a gay bomb in Afghanistan that had turned three local commanders who then went on to start raping their way through their soldiers. According to an anonymous source. And by anonymous I'm sure they meant completely made up.
Original post by pol pot noodles
Is it actually illegal to print a made-up story? I've read some right whoopers in my time. I read once in one of the less reputable newspapers, possible the Star, in an international news roundup section the CIA had successfully deployed a gay bomb in Afghanistan that had turned three local commanders who then went on to start raping their way through their soldiers. According to an anonymous source. And by anonymous I'm sure they meant completely made up.

Yeah its illegal. You wouldn't be able to sell your paper as "newspaper" for false advertisement, you'd also get done for liable, misleading the public and all sorts if stuff. Make stuff up simply is illegal - you cant just say "a plane crashed into the Eiffel tower" randomly, even if you backed it with evidence from conspiracy theory sources.

They can exaggerate and "interpret" things though.
Well done lads, that's a few less of those rats to worry about.*

*If it's true since this is The Express.:smile:
Original post by tsr_420
Does anyone actually believe this? I mean, this is poor journalism even by the standards of the Daily Express.
Sure, ISIS are dicks and it would be awesome of this was true, but it's quite obviously a fabricated story in order to sell papers to the lowest common denominator.

Wow, Man, you tha smartest guy in tha room. Above it all on a higher plain than us dummies herr derr.
Reply 48
Original post by KimKallstrom
Wow, Man, you tha smartest guy in tha room. Above it all on a higher plain than us dummies herr derr.

Unfortunately no, I am not that smart. However it doesn't take an IQ of 200 to see that this is most likely BS
Original post by Arkasia
I thought disguising yourself as a civilian went against the ROE for the joint forces?

Regular forces only.
Original post by The Arsonist
Regular forces only.

Got it, cheers.
Reply 51
Original post by leinad2012
x

Lol that's your opinion which I couldn't care less about.
I have condemned ISIS before, I don't need to make that clear on every thread related to them that I post on.
Original post by Betelgeuse-

Lol she reported you.

She reports everyone that laughs at her. Special terrorist-sympathising snowflake.
Reply 53
Original post by HAnwar
Ridiculous and disrespectful to those who wear the burka.

yet when taliban soldiers wear burkas to kill civilians it's not idiotic or shameful to the burqa then?
Reply 54
Original post by nuraf
yet when taliban soldiers wear burkas to kill civilians it's not idiotic or shameful to the burqa then?

Where exactly did I say that?
Oh wait I didn't.
Original post by Foo.mp3
"Ban the burqa!" .. "Oh no, wait" :erm:

Ahahaha! Comedy gold :rofl:

Why have you tagged me?
You don't mess with the SAS ....BANG
Original post by Foo.mp3
"Cultural appropriation" is one of your buzzwords, thought you'd appreciate the humourous link :smile:

Oh great to see you still know me so well :h:
Original post by HAnwar
Ridiculous and disrespectful to those who wear the burka.

Of course you'd say that. They are protecting British people- be grateful, please.
Btw, I thought we weren't putting boots on the ground just yet. Or are special forces an exception? Can someone clarify this for me please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending