Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShOcKzZ)
    oh right, i think this is wrong, but tell me if u think this makes sense.
    Oxygen is needed for respiration to produce ATP.
    ATP needed for the active transport of mineral ions into the roots.
    so with low amounts of oxygen..low respiration..less atp so lack of nutrients for plant growth.

:confused: lol or am i talking crap
    That sounds right to me well done. I got the bit about resperation but forgot about the active transport in the roots

ReputationRep:
    voldymuyo..hehe sounds similar to my answer ..
    LOL yeah, my computers so slow there's like five more posts in the time it takes me to make one . You think you only got 65%, I'm sure you did better than that, what do you need?

I reckon that I can guarantee myself around 70/81 for BYB 4 at an absolute minimum, which should mean I will get an A afterall this year, for BYB 5 I can't really be sure, its always those kind of questions that don't depend on your knowledge but on what the mark scheme wants.

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoldyMuyo)
    For the one about waterlogged soil, it was one I wasn't sure about but I think I put something about trees needing to be able to actively uptake mineral ions from the soil, for that they need energy and therefore respiration by mitochondria and that would require oxygen in the soil, it sounded right at the time but I'm not sure.
    i said something about nitrogen fixing bacteria living in the soil not being able to aerobically respire therefore no N2 is taken from the air and made into nitrates therefore plants cannot absorb any nitrate (as it isnt there) so they cant grow. this is presuming that the plant in question is not leguminous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggin)
    i said something about nitrogen fixing bacteria living in the soil not being able to aerobically respire therefore no N2 is taken from the air and made into nitrates therefore plants cannot absorb any nitrate (as it isnt there) so they cant grow. this is presuming that the plant in question is not leguminous.
    lol oh ****..that sounds right too.

ReputationRep:
    there was probably more than one answer - like the phosphate question - i said about phospholipid membranes and the phosphate in DNA but didnt even think of ATP, but my friend hadnt thought of membranes - i reckon they have a load of possible answers.

ReputationRep:
    You see that sounds perfectly okay too, but the stupid thing about it is that they're probably only going to have one answer on the markscheme :mad: .

ReputationRep:
    there was probably more than one answer - like the phosphate question - i said about phospholipid membranes and the phosphate in DNA but didnt even think of ATP, but my friend hadnt thought of membranes - i reckon they have a load of possible answers.
    I got all three of those , but my English wasn't too good during that question, I think I basically put "Phosphate is used in a variety of ways...." and then put three sentances about those uses and it was worth 4 marks, I hope I get 3.

ReputationRep:
    I got all three of those , but my English wasn't too good during that question, I think I basically put "Phosphate is used in a variety of ways...." and then put three sentances about those uses and it was worth 4 marks, I hope I get 3.

i said phosphates used for phospholipid membranes and for making dna which is required for cell division for growth is that ok?

ReputationRep:
    oh no!! i didnt put the phospholipidy thing down!! in just said about ATP and the sugar phosphate backbone of dna

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma18)
    oh no!! i didnt put the phospholipidy thing down!! in just said about ATP and the sugar phosphate backbone of dna
    I said those 2 but in a moment of stupidity I also put that you need phosphate to make proteins(?!). I think I was confusing it with lipids or something. Will I still get the marks if the other stuff was right or will I loose them all for writing blatantly incorrect biology?

ReputationRep:
    i said phosphates used for phospholipid membranes and for making dna which is required for cell division for growth is that ok?
    Sounds perfectly fine to me , I put both of those down too and I think they're correct, though I'm definately not the authority on Biology .

I hated all those competition/adaptation questions, they seemed to be popping up everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    I said those 2 but in a moment of stupidity I also put that you need phosphate to make proteins(?!). I think I was confusing it with lipids or something. Will I still get the marks if the other stuff was right or will I loose them all for writing blatantly incorrect biology?
    i dont think you'll lose marks, they dont do negative marking.

ReputationRep:
    I thought environment was harder than ECC. I found in ECC went well, and even the questions I wasnt sure on I had a good stab. Environment, well environment is so ambiguous, I answered everything, whether it agrees with the mark scheme is another question!! I don't think I've done too well on environment tbh, ah well!

ReputationRep:
    For the one about waterlogged soil, it was one I wasn't sure about but I think I put something about trees needing to be able to actively uptake mineral ions from the soil, for that they need energy and therefore respiration by mitochondria and that would require oxygen in the soil, it sounded right at the time but I'm not sure.
    surely the oxygen would be taken in from the plant via the leaf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misty)
    I thought environment was harder than ECC. I found in ECC went well, and even the questions I wasnt sure on I had a good stab. Environment, well environment is so ambiguous, I answered everything, whether it agrees with the mark scheme is another question!! I don't think I've done too well on environment tbh, ah well!
    I totally agree. In module 4 you pretty much knew what it was that they wanted as it was mostly stuff that was learnt. Interestingly there wasnt really anything on muscle contraction (calcium ions, ratchet mechanim etc) which there normally is and only one genetics question!.
    For module 5 it was really hard to know what they wanted for the answer, especially as AQA'a mark schemes are sooo specific. You could have the right idea and still not get the marks for not using the terms on the mark scheme. I don't think I even had the right idea for most of them though lol!.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    I totally agree. In module 4 you pretty much knew what it was that they wanted as it was mostly stuff that was learnt. Interestingly there wasnt really anything on muscle contraction (calcium ions, ratchet mechanim etc) which there normally is and only one genetics question!.
    For module 5 it was really hard to know what they wanted for the answer, especially as AQA'a mark schemes are sooo specific. You could have the right idea and still not get the marks for not using the terms on the mark scheme. I don't think I even had the right idea for most of them though lol!.
    yeah and there was no action potential/synapses stuff. I think what replaced is was all that variation natural selection malarchy. I reckon that will bring peoples marks down alot. And for the first time- I feel I couldve done with an extra 5-10 minutes in ECC, just to check over you know!

ReputationRep:
    But does the plant transport oxygen, I may be wrong but I don't think oxygen is transported through the phloem or the xylem so how would it get there?

ReputationRep:
    For that Phosphate question, I put down stuff about the light-dependent/independent reactions, and phosphate for making ATP and in NADP... I didn't think about DNA at all!! Ooops...

Either way I don't think I did very well, I was retaking BYB4 (I got 68 last time, and 269 overall at AS) and I think I did worse!
    I'd better get revising for the synoptic (that essay is seriously giving me nightmares now!!)

ReputationRep:
    But does the plant transport oxygen, I may be wrong but I don't think oxygen is transported through the phloem or the xylem so how would it get there?
    good point. i have no idea. ha i remember in one of my last biology lessons we were talking about exactly this subject - waterlogged soil etc. and i wasnt listening and i thought 'bugger i should find the answer out to that - i wouldnt be able to work it out in an exam' and by then the conversation had moved on so i didnt bother. so it was quite typical that it came up. oh well!

ReputationRep:
    It was a miracle i loved it.....
    BTW, the waterlogged question active transport and respiration by the root can't take place, therefore poor growth of the root as well as mineral transport problems....

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.