The Student Room Group

Previous study question

I'm familiar with the formula for calculating student entitlement but I don't know if it applies here. I've already used up 1 year of my student finance entitlement by doing an OU CertHE. If I register on a degree abroad but only complete the first year (60 ECTS) and don't get a qualification, will I lose any more of my student loan entitlement? @Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi Snufkin

If the study is lower than the equivalent of level 4, we would not take this into consideration. If it was Level 4 + this would count as a year of previous study.
If you were to study full-time in the UK you would need to be doing a higher level than the CertHe to be eligible for funding and this would count as previous study.
If you were to study part-time in the UK at a higher level than you already hold you can get up to 16 years of support.

Thanks
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi Snufkin

If the study is lower than the equivalent of level 4, we would not take this into consideration. If it was Level 4 + this would count as a year of previous study.
If you were to study full-time in the UK you would need to be doing a higher level than the CertHe to be eligible for funding and this would count as previous study.
If you were to study part-time in the UK at a higher level than you already hold you can get up to 16 years of support.

Thanks

Whilst you were away I asked the same question to the SFE representatives. But they've given conflicting information, who is right? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=62657815&postcount=27
Hi Snufkin

I apologise for the confusion. I can't see what is conflicting between the 2 conversations, but obviously worded very differently.

This is the rules for non-UK study:

For SFE customers all previous study (from anywhere in the world) is taken into consideration and can affect their entitlement.

If a qualification is deemed to be the equivalent or higher level to a course a student is applying for then standard Previous Study and ELQ rules will apply. Students can be directed to consult NARIC if they feel their qualification is not of the same level. They can also supply a NARIC certificate to support this and they may then be entitled to funding if this shows their previous study is actually considered as a lower level qualification.

Also:
The type of institution the student studied at previously can determine which rules apply: Public Institution Previous Study at a public institution which was self-funded will always be included in our calculations. Standard Previous Study and ELQ rules will apply Private institution Any Previous Study spent at a private institution will not be counted so long as it did not lead to a qualification. If students did gain a qualification then this will be counted, and standard ELQ and Previous Study rules will apply

I hope this helps.
Hi Snufkin

I apologise for the confusion. I can't see what is conflicting between the 2 conversations, but obviously worded very differently.

This is the rules for non-UK study:

For SFE customers all previous study (from anywhere in the world) is taken into consideration and can affect their entitlement.

If a qualification is deemed to be the equivalent or higher level to a course a student is applying for then standard Previous Study and ELQ rules will apply. Students can be directed to consult NARIC if they feel their qualification is not of the same level. They can also supply a NARIC certificate to support this and they may then be entitled to funding if this shows their previous study is actually considered as a lower level qualification.

Also:
The type of institution the student studied at previously can determine which rules apply: Public Institution Previous Study at a public institution which was self-funded will always be included in our calculations. Standard Previous Study and ELQ rules will apply Private institution Any Previous Study spent at a private institution will not be counted so long as it did not lead to a qualification. If students did gain a qualification then this will be counted, and standard ELQ and Previous Study rules will apply

I hope this helps.

I'm still confused, it does sound like conflicting information to me.

The other SFE adviser said that the course I mentioned (60 ECTS worth of modules at a foreign university, equivalent to the first year of a degree) would not count as previous study if it was part-time and I did not gain a qualification. They also said that if I self-funded an Open University module but did not receive a qualification, it would also not count as previous study. Can you confirm, is that correct?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi Snufkin

Part-time study in the UK with no qualification gained means you can still apply for full or part-time funding (up to 16 years). It will not affect available funding.

Part-time study overseas with no qualification gained would not affect funding.
Any full-time overseas study would be counted, even if no qualification was gained, unless it was at a private institution.

Thanks
Hi Snufkin

Part-time study in the UK with no qualification gained means you can still apply for full or part-time funding (up to 16 years). It will not affect available funding.

Part-time study overseas with no qualification gained would not affect funding.
Any full-time overseas study would be counted, even if no qualification was gained, unless it was at a private institution.

Thanks

Does that mean it makes no difference if I take out a student loan or pay for it myself? As long as no qualification is gained and it's part-time, it’s fine, it won't count as previous study? How odd.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending