Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Studying English Literature at University of Manchester Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't find a thread for this so..

If anyone has studied English at Manchester could you let me know how you found it i.e. the course, lecturers etc
    Struggling to decide between Exeter and Manchester but erring on the side of Manchester at the moment

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm there now doing English & American Studies, and I really enjoy it - however, I've only really taken 2 out of 6 modules this year in English lit, so my answer might be a bit skewed, take from it what you will.

Last semester's module was heavily focused on close reading & analysis, the lecturers were all really passionate about the subject, and the seminars & lectures engaging - the material was never anything I hated or could find interesting. We read Pride & Prejudice, some Oscar Wilde, Conrad, King Lear - and a whole bunch of others (it was before Christmas, I've slept since then...) - and then this semesters module is all around theory, so we've studied Barthes & Aristotle, and applied their theories about poetry and literature to contemporary texts, like Alien Resurrection, or Northanger Abbey, or Pretty Women - it's a good, interesting mix of contemporary and theoretical texts, if, obviously, that's what you're interested in.

I know some of the single honors English students have studied Medieval literature too - all the modules can be found on the Schools of Arts, Languages & Culture Website at UoM - so it's worth looking through the options that are available, and deciding, by looking at the course material and the course outline, the kinds of things you'd prefer to study, and the direction you want to go in.

Of course, the cities play a big part too, and I could write a whole post about how bloody fantastic Manchester is, but everyone knows thats true, so I don't need to

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.