Turn on thread page Beta

Felling breathless and Heart pounding - Panic attacks? watch

ReputationRep:
    This is weird, but sometimes just sitting down and relaxing, I get really breathless. I dont have asthma, or anything. This usually happens at night, when Im lieing down, I cant sleep and my heart beats like mad and I become breathless, feel like Im having a panic attack. This has been happening for about 5 nights every week, for the past couple of months. I havent been to the doctor, cos hed probably just laugh and ive been really busy.

What is the cause of this?

Le gra BlueAngel xxx

ReputationRep:
    Cocaine?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like anxiety. I get those around exam time or when I am overloaded with assignments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    Cocaine?

No I dont take drugs or smoke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Sounds like anxiety. I get those around exam time or when I am overloaded with assignments.

It could be now, yeah. But what about In February and March, I had nothing to worry about then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    This is weird, but sometimes just sitting down and relaxing, I get really breathless. I dont have asthma, or anything. This usually happens at night, when Im lieing down, I cant sleep and my heart beats like mad and I become breathless, feel like Im having a panic attack. This has been happening for about 5 nights every week, for the past couple of months. I havent been to the doctor, cos hed probably just laugh and ive been really busy.

Le gra BlueAngel xxx
    Stress from exams (if your doing them)? I had a couple of panik attacks last year around exams, and I went to the doctors. Havent had one since (although have felt close to it before).

ReputationRep:
    It sounds very much like panic attacks to me. Probably exam stress and general tension just taking its toll on you. Practise deep, slow breaths when you feel like that - to stop hyperventilating one trick is to breathe in slowly whilst counting to four, hold your breath for two seconds, breathe out slowly counting to six, hold your breath out for two seconds, and so on. I hope you feel better.

ReputationRep:
    What I do is hit the treadmil for 5 min and then I take some Valerian.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about Shane Filan too much?

Seriously, it sounds like panic attacks to me, but you should see your doctor. We're not really qualified to give you a diagnosis on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Stress from exams (if your doing them)? I had a couple of panik attacks last year around exams, and I went to the doctors. Havent had one since (although have felt close to it before).

So it is definately panic attacks then. Oh god. Its usually when I think about being with Shane, Oh god, its killing me. How serious can it get??
    Can it cause you to faint or have a heart attack??

ReputationRep:
    It could be now, yeah. But what about In February and March, I had nothing to worry about then.
    Anxiety problems are strange. Often you don't need a reason to trigger them - it only takes one when you're at a low ebb, and then they become self-perpetuating, because your subsconscious is thinking 'ooh, I hope I don't have a panic attack', and hey presto. Unfortunately it's not usually as simple as finding the source of stress and curing the attacks.

ReputationRep:
    ??? I dont know about that... Did you have many assignment due at one time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    It sounds very much like panic attacks to me. Probably exam stress and general tension just taking its toll on you. Practise deep, slow breaths when you feel like that - to stop hyperventilating one trick is to breathe in slowly whilst counting to four, hold your breath for two seconds, breathe out slowly counting to six, hold your breath out for two seconds, and so on. I hope you feel better.

Ive also realised that drinking lots of water, helps me to calm down, but slowly.

ReputationRep:
    Can it cause you to faint or have a heart attack??
    Heart attack, no. I can assure you panic attacks won't kill you (even though it sometimes feels like it). Fainting could possibly be caused by hyperventilating, but if you regulate your breathing like I said before it should put a halt to things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    ??? I dont know about that... Did you have many assignment due at one time?

No.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanx.

ReputationRep:
    I will try not to worry.

ReputationRep:

Le gra BlueAngel xxx
    It is worth going to see your GP. They won't laugh at you - it's obviously quite uncomfortable for you for this to happen to you and it would put your mind at rest. He or she will probably give you some suggestions to stop it happening. Just don't stop yourself from going to the doctors because you think it's nothing (because it isn't). By all means wait until your exams are over, but if it continues, go and see your GP (no offense meant to anybody who's offered advice on here, but the best person to go and see is your GP in this situation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    It is worth going to see your GP. They won't laugh at you - it's obviously quite uncomfortable for you for this to happen to you and it would put your mind at rest. He'll probably give you some suggestions to stop it happening. Just don't stop yourself from going to the doctors because you think it's nothing (because it isn't). By all means wait until your exams are over, but if it continues, go and see your GP (no offense meant to anybody who's offered advice on here, but the best person to go and see is your GP in this situation).

Yeah but last time I went, I told him I was very stressed and I asked for some tablets which he could give to calm me down. Instead he sent me to a stupid psychiatrist. He'll do this again, shout at me for thinking of Shane and send me to the mental doc. Shanes not even the reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    It is worth going to see your GP. They won't laugh at you - it's obviously quite uncomfortable for you for this to happen to you and it would put your mind at rest. He'll probably give you some suggestions to stop it happening. Just don't stop yourself from going to the doctors because you think it's nothing (because it isn't). By all means wait until your exams are over, but if it continues, go and see your GP (no offense meant to anybody who's offered advice on here, but the best person to go and see is your GP in this situation).
    I saw mine when I was a lot younger and having very severe, dehabilitating attacks. He was pretty much hopeless and just told me to "listen to relaxing music". Hopefully other people will have better experiences but the breathing and relaxing strategies that I've learnt over the years aren't necessarily things busy doctors would have time to advise you on, and for me personally, I'd be extremely reluctant to take medication to stop them.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 22, 2004
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.