Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Felling breathless and Heart pounding - Panic attacks? watch

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but last time I went, I told him I was very stressed and I asked for some tablets which he could give to calm me down. Instead he sent me to a stupid psychiatrist. He'll do this again, shout at me for thinking of Shane and send me to the mental doc. Shanes not even the reason.

Is there any medicine I can buy from the chemists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    Yeah but last time I went, I told him I was very stressed and I asked for some tablets which he could give to calm me down. Instead he sent me to a stupid psychiatrist. He'll do this again, shout at me for thinking of Shane and send me to the mental doc. Shanes not even the reason.

If you want to buy something your best bet is probably relaxation aromatherapy oils (eg. lavender) that you can inhale deeply and which will help your body relax. There aren't really over-the-counter medicines that will make anxiety attacks vanish. Honestly, I used to have major problems with this and I tried everything, and the most effective cure really is breathing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    If you want to buy something your best bet is probably relaxation aromatherapy oils (eg. lavender) that you can inhale deeply and which will help your body relax. There aren't really over-the-counter medicines that will make anxiety attacks vanish. Honestly, I used to have major problems with this and I tried everything, and the most effective cure really is breathing.

Thanks Slowjamz, you really helped.
    Thank you to everyone else too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Slowjamz, you really helped.
    Thank you to everyone else too.
    No problems at all
    Really hope things get better for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    No problems at all
    Really hope things get better for you.

You too

ReputationRep:

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but perhaps he's right. I really think you should go to a psychiatrist about the Shane thing - perhaps the panic attacks are connected in some way even though it's not obvious to you yet. If you get this sorted you'll be able to get on with your life without constantly thinking about him.

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from anxiety and get what the orginal poster described a lot. I dont need an anxiety inducing situation to get it. I also get lots of other symptoms that are associated with it. Go and see your GP they can give you medication if you need it, ive been on some but am now off it as I didnt find it helpful. Also natural herbal remedies like Bach Rescue Remedy can help.

Just remember to slow your breathing down, deep breaths

ReputationRep:

Perhaps you could get an appointment with another doctor? At my local surgery, I had a really great doctor but he had a heart attack and was away for 6 months. The bloke who replaced him was fairly useless and used the "let it get better on its own" philosophy (no, I'm not a hypocondriac and use the doctors very rarely ), so I asked to see a different doctor instead, which was fine.

In any case, get well soon and hope it doesn't get in the way of exams.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 22, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.