The Student Room Group

Masters in the US

Okay, so, here goes -

I'm a history and politics 3rd year at RHUL and I'm really interested in doing a journalism master's in the US. However, for any UK/US student that has done a similar course, I have a few questions for you.

- Most programs (not my top two choices, but most others) require the GRE. I'm not sure how difficult it will be - bearing in mind this summer I'll be burnt out from all the final exams anyway, am not sure if it's worth the hassle. Especially because there's a maths section and I didn't spend 3 years at uni to be doing high school maths again!

- Fulbright scholarship. Just how competitive is it? I can't afford to go to the US if I don't get it, so it's an all or nothing situation. I have a lot of extra curricular stuff but having looked at previous winners they all seem to have more experience than me. That said, the advisors were very helpful and encouraged me to go for the Alistair Cooke award as well as the all disciplines one.

- What are the particularly good schools for GRADUATE journalism? I know about Columbia, Northwestern etc, but I was wondering about a school to choose for my "security" school. For instance, Emerson College seems fantastic for undergrad journalism but its masters has mixed reviews. Again, avoiding the blasted GRE if possible, but am slowly coming to accept the damned thing may be inescapable.

- References. Why do some of these programs aim at people with little journalism experience and then aren't keen on purely academic references?

- Any other funding opportunities for UK students to study in the US?

That's it for now. Any help or advice from applicants would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending