Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I have just been accepted to study Sustainable Development at the University of Utrecht. I am from the UK and just wondering if any one else on here would be heading there in September?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilylucyBudd)
    Hiya

I have just been accepted to study Sustainable Development at the University of Utrecht. I am from the UK and just wondering if any one else on here would be heading there in September?
    I'll be gone by next September but I'm doing my masters at Utrecht at the moment if you have any questions. I'm a law student though so I don't know anything about your intended course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexgilder)
    I'll be gone by next September but I'm doing my masters at Utrecht at the moment if you have any questions. I'm a law student though so I don't know anything about your intended course!
    Hi thanks for replying! I guess you could answer a couple of questions I have about general Utrecht life? Are there any societies that you can join? Can I ask what you did for funding as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilylucyBudd)
    Hi thanks for replying! I guess you could answer a couple of questions I have about general Utrecht life? Are there any societies that you can join? Can I ask what you did for funding as well?
    So Dutch universities don't have SUs like we do. They have study associations which are like societies and from what I can tell limited sports. It is kind of disjointed in that way so I recommend doing some research into outside university clubs for some ideas.

I'm 100% self funding (I know, I'm lucky). It is possible to get a partial loan from the Dutch Gov for tuition but the full tutition loan is only if you work a certain number of hours a week in a job which I seriously don't recommend! Utrecht are really helpful if you ask them about the standard Dutch government loans.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thank you for that!

ReputationRep:
    Applying for an LLM there as well as UvA how hard is it to get admitted onto Masters programmes at these two universities? Hopefully see some of you there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CGSW)
    Applying for an LLM there as well as UvA how hard is it to get admitted onto Masters programmes at these two universities? Hopefully see some of you there!
    Which LLM?

I have a few friends on LLMs at UvA, I'm on Utrecht's PIL LLM programme and I have a few friends at Leiden too.

The common theme is that we all have solid 2:1s or higher. Dutch universities like British students... they want native English speakers for their mooting teams

ReputationRep:
    Which LLM?

I have a few friends on LLMs at UvA, I'm on Utrecht's PIL LLM programme and I have a few friends at Leiden too.

The common theme is that we all have solid 2:1s or higher. Dutch universities like British students... they want native English speakers for their mooting teams
    oh I will mention mooting on my motivation letter then!

I am thinking of applying for PIL LLM at Utrecht. And yeah, I am due to get a good 2.1/1st (need one more A in my three modules to get a 1st) and a lot of extra-curricular so hopefully I'm good to go.
    How is the work/life balance, and student scene in Utrecht?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CGSW)
    oh I will mention mooting on my motivation letter then!

I am thinking of applying for PIL LLM at Utrecht. And yeah, I am due to get a good 2.1/1st (need one more A in my three modules to get a 1st) and a lot of extra-curricular so hopefully I'm good to go.
    How is the work/life balance, and student scene in Utrecht?
    Okay, I'm going to blunt so don't think I'm trying to put you off or be rude. I just want to give you good impression of what you'd be getting yourself into since I didn't have anyone to ask before I came here.

Dutch LLMs and university in generally is structured very differently than in the UK. As you have probably seen on the programme information there are 4 semesters where you have 2 modules per semester lasting 9 weeks. This means those modules are pretty intense. My first two when I arrived (general international law and human rights I) had 3 exams and 5 essays (some shorter essays don't worry). This meant I had things due practically weekly and it was a drag on the whole moving to a new country and settling in period. Then things got better and the moot court modules have been less work. My peers have complained on your behalf so the course will be somewhat altered next year. I hear from friends on other LLMs across the Netherlands that the situation is the same at the other law schools.

Basically the Dutch have a completely different work ethic. They go from the beginning of September until at least July but usually longer with thesis extensions and minimal holidays. It is just how it is here.

This all caused some issues for me living here. Making friends is hard when your whole course has tons to do all the time and doesn't have time to meet up much.

Student scene can be good if you make friends with the undergrad erasmus students on their year abroad, they have a blast.

That being said don't despair! The staff are, for the most part, great fun and always willing to help. The Dutch staff are culturally a bit more distant but the international staff are lovely. We mostly get treated as near equals which is nice.

I've also been afforded opportunities that I just wouldn't have had in the UK. I've done a Red Cross mooting competition, I'm an editor of the the Utrecht Journal of International and European Law, and the Law School are paying for me to go to Croatia for a week for a course/conference directly relevant to my PhD proposal.

Basically, you can reap the benefits of the tough schedule. I'm lucky to have two PhD offers to return to the UK and of course Utrecht had a hand in making me the candidate I am today. There are lots of extra activities to do to make more employable in international law or legal practice.

As long as you understand that the year is tough and not a walk in the park then you'll be fine.

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. I hope I haven't scared you out of it! I'm glad I came despite the difficulties I've faced. I recommend you look at Leiden's programme and see if you like their modules. Utrecht and Leiden are seen as the big two law schools here (Leiden are 23rd in the world and Utrecht 48th I think). I lost to Leiden in my mooting final Just be warned that Utrecht have about 50 students on their PIL LLM and Leiden have more like 175.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm an internatinoal studen and I would like to know how long did the university take to answer to your application?
    I sent mine this week but I don't know how long should I wait.
    Btw I applied to Water science and management master.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CGSW)
    Which UvA programme have you applied for? I've applied for their LLM International Criminal Law

Considering applying to Utrecht...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alejacd)
    Hi, I'm an internatinoal studen and I would like to know how long did the university take to answer to your application?
    I sent mine this week but I don't know how long should I wait.
    Btw I applied to Water science and management master.
    Utrecht Law School answered me in 3 weeks. Leiden Law School took about 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    Which UvA programme have you applied for? I've applied for their LLM International Criminal Law

Considering applying to Utrecht...
    LLM in European Private Law
    and same here, although none of the courses exactly look that appealing...

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'm going to blunt so don't think I'm trying to put you off or be rude. I just want to give you good impression of what you'd be getting yourself into since I didn't have anyone to ask before I came here.

Dutch LLMs and university in generally is structured very differently than in the UK. As you have probably seen on the programme information there are 4 semesters where you have 2 modules per semester lasting 9 weeks. This means those modules are pretty intense. My first two when I arrived (general international law and human rights I) had 3 exams and 5 essays (some shorter essays don't worry). This meant I had things due practically weekly and it was a drag on the whole moving to a new country and settling in period. Then things got better and the moot court modules have been less work. My peers have complained on your behalf so the course will be somewhat altered next year. I hear from friends on other LLMs across the Netherlands that the situation is the same at the other law schools.

Basically the Dutch have a completely different work ethic. They go from the beginning of September until at least July but usually longer with thesis extensions and minimal holidays. It is just how it is here.

This all caused some issues for me living here. Making friends is hard when your whole course has tons to do all the time and doesn't have time to meet up much.

Student scene can be good if you make friends with the undergrad erasmus students on their year abroad, they have a blast.

That being said don't despair! The staff are, for the most part, great fun and always willing to help. The Dutch staff are culturally a bit more distant but the international staff are lovely. We mostly get treated as near equals which is nice.

I've also been afforded opportunities that I just wouldn't have had in the UK. I've done a Red Cross mooting competition, I'm an editor of the the Utrecht Journal of International and European Law, and the Law School are paying for me to go to Croatia for a week for a course/conference directly relevant to my PhD proposal.

Basically, you can reap the benefits of the tough schedule. I'm lucky to have two PhD offers to return to the UK and of course Utrecht had a hand in making me the candidate I am today. There are lots of extra activities to do to make more employable in international law or legal practice.

As long as you understand that the year is tough and not a walk in the park then you'll be fine.

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. I hope I haven't scared you out of it! I'm glad I came despite the difficulties I've faced. I recommend you look at Leiden's programme and see if you like their modules. Utrecht and Leiden are seen as the big two law schools here (Leiden are 23rd in the world and Utrecht 48th I think). I lost to Leiden in my mooting final Just be warned that Utrecht have about 50 students on their PIL LLM and Leiden have more like 175.
    hmm ok I was thinking of going to the Netherlands to party xD
    but I really think, if I can get a 1st for my LLB, I can handle a Dutch LLM. It will be fine. Especially now that I have expectations of a very busy year, it will probably not be as bad as I am expecting it to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CGSW)
    hmm ok I was thinking of going to the Netherlands to party xD
    but I really think, if I can get a 1st for my LLB, I can handle a Dutch LLM. It will be fine. Especially now that I have expectations of a very busy year, it will probably not be as bad as I am expecting it to be.
    Haha an LLM anywhere is not going to be great for partying.

Another tip I just remembered is the Dutch types of assessment. UK LLMs (at least the ones I looked at a couple of years ago) were all essay based. Pick some modules, do some 4000 word essays then your dissertation.

Here in the Netherlands they have a lot of exams. It is basically university policy across the country that for big modules there is an exam worth at least 50%.

Mine were all open book which meant they really weren't an issue but if you're more into writing independent research papers then the Netherlands isn't so great for that.

There are tons of different stuff though. My LLM has had essays where I've created my own research questions, reflection papers where I just do a short critical analysis of something each week, graded mooting, ICJ style written memorial and I got to skip some essays for doing a competition instead. Lots of options.

ReputationRep:

Another tip I just remembered is the Dutch types of assessment. UK LLMs (at least the ones I looked at a couple of years ago) were all essay based. Pick some modules, do some 4000 word essays then your dissertation.

Here in the Netherlands they have a lot of exams. It is basically university policy across the country that for big modules there is an exam worth at least 50%.

Mine were all open book which meant they really weren't an issue but if you're more into writing independent research papers then the Netherlands isn't so great for that.

There are tons of different stuff though. My LLM has had essays where I've created my own research questions, reflection papers where I just do a short critical analysis of something each week, graded mooting, ICJ style written memorial and I got to skip some essays for doing a competition instead. Lots of options.
    Yeah it seems quite flexible!
    And don't worry, I always find time to party :P I have the work hard/play hard thing to perfection.

Thanks for your advice!
    Sending my application to UvA tomorrow, and then will do Utrecht. How long does it take for post to get to the Netherlands from the UK if I first class it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CGSW)
    Yeah it seems quite flexible!
    And don't worry, I always find time to party :P I have the work hard/play hard thing to perfection.

Thanks for your advice!
    Sending my application to UvA tomorrow, and then will do Utrecht. How long does it take for post to get to the Netherlands from the UK if I first class it?
    Oh man, did you send your application yet?

I sent mine on Thursday and was nervous that it wouldn't get there in time for my course's 1st April application deadline.

Remember, what with yesterday having been a bank holiday and Monday also being a bank holiday, stuff won't fly out from the UK now until Tuesday.

ReputationRep:

Sounds fantastic.

ReputationRep:

I sent mine on Thursday and was nervous that it wouldn't get there in time for my course's 1st April application deadline.

Remember, what with yesterday having been a bank holiday and Monday also being a bank holiday, stuff won't fly out from the UK now until Tuesday.
    I'm surprised you guys have to post stuff. I didn't post anything for my Utrecht or Leiden applications.

I actually got into a mess in the summer where Utrecht wanted proof of my LLB degree certificate before the 31st August when the course started but I didn't graduate until 8th September! I had a right mare trying to negotiate an early copy of my certificate... I failed to get one.. and the head of my old law school failed... so Utrecht had to make an exception. They never did ask for it again!

ReputationRep:

Yeah I sent it yesterday and had to pay £45 to make sure that it gets there by Thursday! But really I don't mind paying that. How did you post yours?

But even paying to make sure its there by Thursday I am still nervous it won't arrive on time.
    Also what did you apply for? I am applying for LLM European Private Law

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.