Is studying in London expensive?

Watch
DBR247
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have received offers from both UCL and the University of Manchester. One of my concerns about UCL is the accommodation which in some cases seems extortionate in price. Obviously, if accommodation and living costs are expensive then I would probably leave university with far more debt than if I went to UoM. Is it as expensive as it is made out to be?

Thanks in advance,
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DBR247)
I have received offers from both UCL and the University of Manchester. One of my concerns about UCL is the accommodation which in some cases seems extortionate in price. Obviously, if accommodation and living costs are expensive then I would probably leave university with far more debt than if I went to UoM. Is it as expensive as it is made out to be?

Thanks in advance,
London accommodation is expensive, but a degree from UCL is definitely worth the extra cost
FlyingBird
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A degree from UCL is far more impressive, worth paying more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Duke Glacia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DBR247)

Thanks in advance,
it depends on the course. For engineering Manchester>UCL
Ethereal World
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Probably be wise to estimate how much more it will cost. Factor that in with the extra you get from the loan company (London premium) and work out how much it will cost you both in short-term finance (i.e. The remainder of what you cannot get on a loan) and long-term (i.e. How much the difference between amount you will have to pay off is).

It also depends on how much you do as to how expensive London is. If you're super sociable and want to go out lots both eating and clubbing then everything is more expensive, as well as the inflated accommodation costs.

It also depends what you want from where you live- if you care about living somewhere really nice or just getting by. At Manchester the accomm you could get for what you pay in London for average stuff would probably be really nice.

That said I would generally go on the suitability of the course to your needs and which city you would prefer overall and if that includes money then factor it in a la above. Don't go with UCL just because of the prestige - consider your situation holistically.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (64)
17.44%
No one else does (119)
32.43%
I'm embarrassed about my background (38)
10.35%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (125)
34.06%
We don't use a video platform (6)
1.63%
I don't have a camera (8)
2.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
1.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise