Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right. This has probably been done before, but sod it.

So who's better? This is my argument:

I have been a Maiden fan for around 2 years now, and I personally think that Metallica are a piece of male bovine excrement. Maiden are far far better musically and basically wipe the floor with "LICA", as the have no "metal" in them at all. Their (Metallica's) career has been declining for a number of years, and I just think that they should now just give up and relinquish defeat to the kings of heavy metal: Iron Maiden.

Yes, Maiden use the same guitar harmonies and galloping rhythms some of the time (and most of their songs are in the key of E), but the thing is, you couldn't really tell is they are all use the same techniques or not because they all sound different. That galloping rhythm is their trademark. Unfortunately, second-rate nu metal is quickly becoming Metallica's.

Most bands these days seem to go through a period of time in one style then switch slightly. Maiden have done that, but never drastically (apart from their latest album, Dance Of Death, where it has worked awesomely for them), and never in answer to the pathetic baying of the critics. Maybe if you take a step back and look at Maiden's career, you'll see just how outclassed Metallica is when compared to Maiden.

Long live Maiden!
    Let the bashing commence!

ReputationRep:
    I havn't heard any Iron Madien, but i have listened to some Metallica and they are fairly desent.

ReputationRep:
    i like some of iron maidens stuff but ive never really heard any metallica that has tickled my fancy - but this kind of music isnt really my cup of tea n e way

ReputationRep:
    Metallica every ****in time!!! Harder, heavier, louder and faster. Iron Maiden just sing opera metal, and are just plain embarassing. Bruce Dickinson?? Come off it, James Hetfield anyday. 'tallica are must better instrumentalists, kirk hammet is a god, and have written some songs which are a great departure from what they normally do, listen to 'orion' and 'to live is to die' for example, no lyrics - just pure melody and progression. however you've got "bring your daughter to the slaughter". could you say that with a straight face?? why am i thinking 'spinal tap'............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metallicafan)
    Metallica every ****in time!!! Harder, heavier, louder and faster. Iron Maiden just sing opera metal, and are just plain embarassing. Bruce Dickinson?? Come off it, James Hetfield anyday. 'tallica are must better instrumentalists, kirk hammet is a god, and have written some songs which are a great departure from what they normally do, listen to 'orion' and 'to live is to die' for example, no lyrics - just pure melody and progression. however you've got "bring your daughter to the slaughter". could you say that with a straight face?? why am i thinking 'spinal tap'............
    I thin kive heard some of my mates who are into this sort of stuff saying that metallicas new album (St Anger?) is really bad tho

ReputationRep:
    Do a poll thread starter person.

Options:
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    Neither

Definitely neither.

ReputationRep:
    Its a daft question. You may as well compare Oasis to Radiohead, theyre both indie in the same way Metallica and Maiden are both metal.

ReputationRep:
    Personally i cant think of any aspect of St. Anger without cringing. Metallica and Maiden both are once glorious bands living off their illustrious reputations though if we were to discuss recent releases by either band Maidens Brave New World puts them ahead of the crap Metallica have(mostly) produced since they teamed up with Bob Rock (black album excepted of course)

ReputationRep:
    Metallica rule all

Listen to "one" and "Master pf puppets" as well. Thier lyrics are so deep and meaningful rather than just screaming at the top of your voice.
    Plus they are THE best live band.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big P)
    Metallica rule all

Listen to "one" and "Master pf puppets" as well. Thier lyrics are so deep and meaningful rather than just screaming at the top of your voice.
    Plus they are THE best live band.
    "chop your breakfast on a mirror"? hehe - master of puppets still a good song. Everyone has their fav metallica song, mine is the unforgiven or hero of the day. I honestly couldn't choose between metallica and maiden, id have to rebel and vote 'both' !

ReputationRep:
    metallica, i haven't heard that much from iron maiden.

ReputationRep:
    "chop your breakfast on a mirror" referring to drug abuse, its a way of getting it into your system, and chopping it on a mirror leaves no traces..............therefore as the whole song is about drug abuse, it makes sense doesnt it? as for the st anger bashing, imagine being in rehab, having personal struggle for about 18 months and then recording an album. its a good album, its raw, agressive, and just want metallica needed, rather than an oversaturated album, such as the black album. as for bob rock being a bad producer, quite the opposite, he exposed the guys in ways they never thought possible. metallica have variation and arent afraid to do what they want, unlike iron maiden whose albums are plain generic.

ReputationRep:
    Metallica - whining lyrics; poor harmonic development every time; awfully, awfully dull instrumentalists etc etc.

Listen to Bruce Dickinson's solo album "Accident of Birth". Adrian Smith's playing on that is phenomenal.

ReputationRep:
    I listen to both bands and like them both but I have to admit Metallica have gone seriously downhill. What kind of rock are they playing? They were at one point a thrash metal band. The drums from I Disappear are out of tune and after that it has gone downhill and has turned away some of their old fans who appreciate the older thrash metal scene.

Kirk Hammett is a good guitarist but Joe Satriani would kick his butt anyday. Bruce can sing the way he does without shouting. I can't see how his singing is opera-like. If you think he is, then go and listen to a band called Nightwish.

Iron Maiden are probably more popular in Britain than Metallica still.

Metallica's music up until the Black Album was fine, then you started to only get a few decent ones coming in.

How can you compare two bands in different forms of rock? Maiden (NWOBHM) and Metallica (supposedly thrash).

If people want heavy stuff like riffs and that you could give Machine Head or Megadeth a try.

Nowadays if I want to listen to thrash I'd rather listen to Megadeth or Testament TBH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I listen to both bands and like them both but I have to admit Metallica have gone seriously downhill. What kind of rock are they playing? They were at one point a thrash metal band. The drums from I Disappear are out of tune and after that it has gone downhill and has turned away some of their old fans who appreciate the older thrash metal scene.

Kirk Hammett is a good guitarist but Joe Satriani would kick his butt anyday. Bruce can sing the way he does without shouting. I can't see how his singing is opera-like. If you think he is, then go and listen to a band called Nightwish.

Iron Maiden are probably more popular in Britain than Metallica still.

Metallica's music up until the Black Album was fine, then you started to only get a few decent ones coming in.

How can you compare two bands in different forms of rock? Maiden (NWOBHM) and Metallica (supposedly thrash).

If people want heavy stuff like riffs and that you could give Machine Head or Megadeth a try.

Nowadays if I want to listen to thrash I'd rather listen to Megadeth or Testament TBH.
    Indeed Bob Rock has a lot to answer for. You cant really compare Satriani to Kirk - being technically accomplished on the guitar doesnt mean too much as regards quality of music and Hammet wins in this category. As you say a more valid comparison would be to compare Metallica to Megadeth or Testament, or maybe even the mighty ANTHRAX! For Maiden Iced Earth are a similiar metal band.

ReputationRep:
    tell me you're ****in joking with megadeth? megadeth are a toned down metallica, their albums sound weak, poor production. dave mustaine even admits metallica are superior, and he regrets being an arrogant ******** and getting kicked out of 'tallica. hetfield beats dickinson full on in the vocal sense. have you heard them both live? i have, hetfield's voice is more powerful, his stage presence is more obvious, and his lyrics are pure class. bruce's voice is kinda weak like, and squeeky. and he doesnt really have much stage presense, they have to rely on 'eddie'. the drums are in tune for 'i disappear' and the guitars have been toned down for the load/reload albums, namely to Eb etc. this is the same live, for most bands that have been going around this long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Indeed Bob Rock has a lot to answer for. You cant really compare Satriani to Kirk - being technically accomplished on the guitar doesnt mean too much as regards quality of music and Hammet wins in this category.

Unfortunately, Kirk is just blues licks played fast. Boring.

ReputationRep:
    Iron Maiden are total gash. I've never listened to a Maiden song and enjoyed it. Metallica are the proper stuff.

ReputationRep:
    tell me you're ****in joking with megadeth? megadeth are a toned down metallica, their albums sound weak, poor production. dave mustaine even admits metallica are superior, and he regrets being an arrogant ******** and getting kicked out of 'tallica. hetfield beats dickinson full on in the vocal sense. have you heard them both live? i have, hetfield's voice is more powerful, his stage presence is more obvious, and his lyrics are pure class. bruce's voice is kinda weak like, and squeeky. and he doesnt really have much stage presense, they have to rely on 'eddie'. the drums are in tune for 'i disappear' and the guitars have been toned down for the load/reload albums, namely to Eb etc. this is the same live, for most bands that have been going around this long.
    Nobody was claiming that Megadeth are superior to Metallica. What was pointed out was that Megadeth serve as a more valid comparison than Maiden as they inhabit the same sub-genre as Metallica.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    I thin kive heard some of my mates who are into this sort of stuff saying that metallicas new album (St Anger?) is really bad tho
    It's total rubbish. Drums are out of tune and isn't heavy at all. Can't say it's really thrash either. Too much commercial involvement with the likes of Kerrang perhaps? Rather listen to Poison.

Personally i cant think of any aspect of St. Anger without cringing. Metallica and Maiden both are once glorious bands living off their illustrious reputations though if we were to discuss recent releases by either band Maidens Brave New World puts them ahead of the crap Metallica have(mostly) produced since they teamed up with Bob Rock (black album excepted of course)
    They were probably better off with their old producer in the long run.

Indeed Bob Rock has a lot to answer for. You cant really compare Satriani to Kirk - being technically accomplished on the guitar doesnt mean too much as regards quality of music and Hammet wins in this category. As you say a more valid comparison would be to compare Metallica to Megadeth or Testament, or maybe even the mighty ANTHRAX! For Maiden Iced Earth are a similiar metal band.
    Yeah but I like a lot of instrumental work because there's more focus on there as there are no vocals. Similarly with Richie Kotzen, Greg Howe, Steve Vai, Vinnie Moore and other 'guitar virtuoso' artists. I still can't see how you can compare though, each to their own I guess.

How are Iced Erath similar to Iron Maiden? Iced Earth is power metal, Iron Maiden is NWOBHM. You like Iced Earth then? Surprised anyone has heard of this kind because hardly any of it gets metnioned unless you read the Powerplay magazine.

So poor ol' Dave wasn't such an angel, funnily enough nor was Lars. Eddie is just an act, other artists have similar traits. Alice Cooper with his extreme acts on stage is one example. So Metallica tone their drums down because it's a sign that they are ageing or something? Well they might as well turn country and western style and join Dolly Parton following some of their more recent material.

Nobody was claiming that Megadeth are superior to Metallica. What was pointed out was that Megadeth serve as a more valid comparison than Maiden as they inhabit the same sub-genre as Metallica.
    You get this, for some reason there is a clash between these two bands. Yeh I should have said Anthrax but the latest song I heard from them wasn't like their old persona, Safe Home, but it's not as such a huge downfall as Metallica. I think I did mention Testament but obviously this did not mean anything, despite being one of the more older styled thrash artists there have been.

Would I compare Queen to King Diamond? Machine Head to Judas Priest? That was my point.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.