Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Iron Maiden vs Metallica watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    They were probably better off with their old producer in the long run.
    Undoubtedly. One can only imagine the stuff they would have produced in the tradition of Ride the Lightening, Justice for all,Master of Puppets etc if Bob Rock hadnt slowly made them more and 'accessible' and mainstream.

Yeah but I like a lot of instrumental work because there's more focus on there as there are no vocals. Similarly with Richie Kotzen, Greg Howe, Steve Vai, Vinnie Moore and other 'guitar virtuoso' artists. I still can't see how you can compare though, each to their own I guess.
    Or even the ebullient Yngmie Malmsteen. I agree though you cannot really compare them.

How are Iced Erath similar to Iron Maiden? Iced Earth is power metal, Iron Maiden is NWOBHM. You like Iced Earth then? Surprised anyone has heard of this kind because hardly any of it gets metnioned unless you read the Powerplay magazine.
    Youre right they arent similiar as such, i just suggested them as being more similiar to Maiden than Metallica are - just a personal opinion.

I think I did mention Testament but obviously this did not mean anything, despite being one of the more older styled thrash artists there have been.
    Testament are excellent but very underrated, ive only ever met one other person whos heard of them before.

Would I compare Queen to King Diamond? Machine Head to Judas Priest? That was my point.
    Exactly.

(Original post by an Siarach)
    Undoubtedly. One can only imagine the stuff they would have produced in the tradition of Ride the Lightening, Justice for all,Master of Puppets etc if Bob Rock hadnt slowly made them more and 'accessible' and mainstream.
    That's true, but they needed a producer who would stand up to them after the band completely f**cked up the production of And Justice for All. AJFA is hands down the worst produced album I've ever heard. I swear they could have made the album without a bassist and no-one would have even noticed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bass Dude)
    Right. This has probably been done before, but sod it.

So who's better? This is my argument:

I have been a Maiden fan for around 2 years now, and I personally think that Metallica are a piece of male bovine excrement. Maiden are far far better musically and basically wipe the floor with "LICA", as the have no "metal" in them at all. Their (Metallica's) career has been declining for a number of years, and I just think that they should now just give up and relinquish defeat to the kings of heavy metal: Iron Maiden.

Yes, Maiden use the same guitar harmonies and galloping rhythms some of the time (and most of their songs are in the key of E), but the thing is, you couldn't really tell is they are all use the same techniques or not because they all sound different. That galloping rhythm is their trademark. Unfortunately, second-rate nu metal is quickly becoming Metallica's.

Most bands these days seem to go through a period of time in one style then switch slightly. Maiden have done that, but never drastically (apart from their latest album, Dance Of Death, where it has worked awesomely for them), and never in answer to the pathetic baying of the critics. Maybe if you take a step back and look at Maiden's career, you'll see just how outclassed Metallica is when compared to Maiden.

Long live Maiden!
    Let the bashing commence!

man, iron maiden, wat bs. that dumb song run to the hilllls! the dudes voice is funny otherwise they kinda crap, st.anger round my neck son.

Metallica all the way.

ReputationRep:
    Metallica used to be the band for me when I was younger but more recently I noticed that Iron Maiden are just far, far better

I have to say though that for me Maiden is reaching the status of a band whose albums are nicer to own than to listen to. I don't mean that as a bad thing, it's just that somehow you don't end up listening to the classics as often as you'd think you would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M.M.)
    Metallica used to be the band for me when I was younger but more recently I noticed that Iron Maiden are just far, far better

I have to say though that for me Maiden is reaching the status of a band whose albums are nicer to own than to listen to. I don't mean that as a bad thing, it's just that somehow you don't end up listening to the classics as often as you'd think you would.
    Same for me. I hardly ever listen to the big names in my music collection anymore. Right now I'm listening to George Lynch & Tony MacAlpine

ReputationRep:
    IMH(yet very biased)O, Iron Maiden. Firstly they are British, so thus they are brilliant anyway. And 2, I met Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith backstage at a concert and they were the nicest guys. I asked Bruce if I could give him my friend's CD. Next thing I know, they've been played on his show and now have a record deal.

Metallica are boring and sold out, St Anger sounded like Toxicity.

ReputationRep:
    in respect to bruce dickinson being nice, far from it. he's a very very egotistical ******, he constantly ****s off other bands rather than appreciating their differences. i see absolute no similarity from toxicity to st anger, they're not even at the same tempo's, nor in the same key. from a frontman point of view, st anger is a lot more complicated and hard to play than you may initially think, its tricky. and youve got a lot of stepping on pedals and things. as for metallica selling out, who are they selling out to? there isnt a market for st anger, its a tricky album to pigeon-hole. metallica has always done what metallica wants to do, and i respect them for that. i listen to kill em all as much as i do to load and reload, and i love the S&M project. you cant tell me iron maiden arent boring, predictable. "rainmaker" is an ok song, but im not sure of the title but "no more lies" or whatever is plain awful. ive seen both bands live, and metallica just rule all. and just because maiden are british, doesnt make them better. metallica have shown more respect and toured europe moreso than maiden have in the past 10 years, and are one of the most hardworking bands in the business.

ReputationRep:
    Right now I'm listening to George Lynch & Tony MacAlpine
    Tears of the Sahara. A champion's song.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metallicafan)
    from a frontman point of view, st anger is a lot more complicated and hard to play than you may initially think, its tricky. and youve got a lot of stepping on pedals and things.
    Definitely tricky. For a disabled six year old, perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    you gotta flick distortion off and whack some chorus on there, and a hint of reverb if you're playing live, so perhaps a line selector is used, also you gotta flick your pickup selector to the middle pickup otherwise it sounds *****y, and to get that done at exactly the right time is difficult. but then again, you're probably a muse fan arent you?

ReputationRep:
    you gotta flick distortion off and whack some chorus on there, and a hint of reverb if you're playing live, so perhaps a line selector is used, also you gotta flick your pickup selector to the middle pickup otherwise it sounds *****y, and to get that done at exactly the right time is difficult. but then again, you're probably a muse fan arent you?
    St. Anger is an embaressing album. Did you take a look at the download festival line up? Metallica , Linkin Park and Slipkot - presumably James Hetfield likes the idea of having a fan base made up of angsty pre-teens in his old age add that to the abomination that was the MTV tribute (christ im scarred for life by Avril Lavignes rendition of Fuel) and its fairly easy to spell 'past it and sold out'.

ReputationRep:
    I voted Metallica, mainly because they have more meaningful lyrics, with songs that are able to adjust my mood. Maiden's songs, however, I find hard to relate to or take seriously.
    That doesent mean im bashing Maiden, though. I saw them live during their DoD tour, and they were brilliant. To whoever said Bruce has no stage presence - thats *******s! He climbs about the whole stage like a madman, locks himself in cages, fights eddie, jumps everywhere (tough for a man of his age! :P), and gets the whole crowd in an excited state. Their guitarists take flags from the audience and wave them about. They even throw their guitars up in the air or playfully pretend to hand their guitars to the audience before pulling them back and pulling out fast licks.
    The only thing I can recall James Hetfield doing to get the crowd going is going "Yoyoyoyoyoyoyo" as fast as he can..
    However, Metallica did have that amazing stage setup during cunning stunts. It was brilliant how they could get so close to so much of the audience etc.

Basically i think the difference in opinion of either bands can only come down to musical tastes. Metallica is far darker and rough and meaningful, Maiden is fast, furious, and happier in an aspect.
    I also hated St.Anger when I first heard it, and used all of those stupid "sold out" comments, but after sitting down and listening to it all the way through a couple of times, I started to really like it - its just a very moshworthy album, and is brilliant to listen to when you are depressed.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and also, to whoever compared Kirk to Satriani - dont even bother! They play completely different types of music. The only similarity is that they play the damn guitar. You dont go comparing a country & western band to metallica do you? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    I also hated St.Anger when I first heard it, and used all of those stupid "sold out" comments, but after sitting down and listening to it all the way through a couple of times, I started to really like it - its just a very moshworthy album, and is brilliant to listen to when you are depressed.
    I enjoy the odd part of the album, but it certainly isnt worthy of Metallica. As to the sold out comments i cant recall ever throwing that at a band before as i usually think its a nonsense when people accuse bands of selling out just because they sign to a major record label - however metalliac left no doubt as to their earning it by
    1) campaigning against napster: It would be, imo, bad enough for a band of small renown, just trying to make it to go against it but for a band as rich as metallica its inexcusable.
    2)Acknowledging that farce of an MTV tribute: Snoop dogg? Avril Lavigne? Sum 41? Limp Bizkit? ffs all they were doing was going for the popular 'teeny bopper' audience there, only Korn were worthy of a band of metallicas importance and status.
    3) the Download festival: touring with Slipknot and linkin park. enough said.

ReputationRep:
    1. Not particularly complex.
    2. You really think James and Kirk do the effects themselves ? That's what they have lackeys for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    3) the Download festival: touring with Slipknot and linkin park. enough said.
    The band, when signed up to the festival about a year ago, have no idea who else is on the bill at the time. As for touring with slipknot during the current european tour, so what? Can you think of a more suitable band to tour with? I've seen Metallica now about 5 times, Godsmack were a very good band and 'warmed' up the crowd very very well. Both 'knot and Godsmack got great reactions from the crowds. However, when you go to see Metallica, don't you go to see Metallica? I find that if I like the support bands, then its a bonus. If i dont, I just chill and accept its not my thing, and wait for metallica. I'm not gonna start booing a band, if they're trying their hardest to put on a show and it just doesnt interest me, I'll just go with the flow. When you pay for a metallica ticket, you go to see metallica. Also, the download festival is not a tour, it was 2 gigs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    1. Not particularly complex.
    2. You really think James and Kirk do the effects themselves ? That's what they have lackeys for.
    The hardest thing is flicking the correct effects on and changing your pickup at exactly the right point, after the drums. Jaymz doesnt do any effects himself, but Kirk has a full pedal board of which he has full control of his sound. These 'lackeys' you refer to are much respected, if it wasnt for them you wouldnt be hearing rock shows at all, someones gotta set the instruments up, and I highly doubt you could do them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Tears of the Sahara. A champion's song.
    Someone knows!

ReputationRep:
    iron maiden

rock

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.