The Student Room Group

Applying to univesity in Canada from the UK?

I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice about going to university in Canada from the UK to study law, I'm doing my AS-levels at the moment and I am predicted an A* and 2 A's at A2. So any advice on what the better institutions for law are overall (not just the highest ranked), what the better student cities are in Canada and just any advice about university in Canada in general would be really helpful. Also is it worth going to university in Canada instead of the the UK? Thanks
Original post by JoeW32
I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice about going to university in Canada from the UK to study law, I'm doing my AS-levels at the moment and I am predicted an A* and 2 A's at A2. So any advice on what the better institutions for law are overall (not just the highest ranked), what the better student cities are in Canada and just any advice about university in Canada in general would be really helpful. Also is it worth going to university in Canada instead of the the UK? Thanks

You won't be able to study law in Canada straight from A-levels. Note that all law programmes are postgraduate studies in Canada and that means you will need to have a university degree first in order to apply. The same applies to law programmes at American universities as well.

It would be best to apply to the UK and do an exchange programme to a Canadian uni, provided that they have that option.
Reply 2
Original post by zero_gravity
You won't be able to study law in Canada straight from A-levels. Note that all law programmes are postgraduate studies in Canada and that means you will need to have a university degree first in order to apply. The same applies to law programmes at American universities as well.

It would be best to apply to the UK and do an exchange programme to a Canadian uni, provided that they have that option.

I thought it was mixed and that there were still a few places who offer LLB degrees?
Original post by JoeW32
I thought it was mixed and that there were still a few places who offer LLB degrees?

No, most of the universities have since changed to the JD degree. There are a small number of programmes that would allow you entry after completion of your A-levels, but they are not qualified law degrees in the sense that would allow you to become a lawyer.

Another option that you could take, if you know French, is to apply for the law programme in Quebec under the civil law jurisdiction, although I don't think that is in your best interest.

You would be better off studying in the UK instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending