Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough or Surrey for chemical engineering? Which is the better uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chellecharity)
    Loughborough or Surrey for chemical engineering? Which is the better uni
    I go to Surrey and my sister goes to Loughborough so if you have any specific questions about the two unis then feel free to ask

In terms of quality of the uni itself I know they're both quite high up on the league tables. But I remember somebody saying engineering itself is really good at Loughborough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channies)
    I go to Surrey and my sister goes to Loughborough so if you have any specific questions about the two unis then feel free to ask

In terms of quality of the uni itself I know they're both quite high up on the league tables. But I remember somebody saying engineering itself is really good at Loughborough

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awesome so regarding Surrey;

1) how's the social life there?
    2) how do you find the quality of teaching?
    3) what do you study?
    & overall, would you have chosen to go to a better uni or another uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chellecharity)
    Awesome so regarding Surrey;

1) how's the social life there?
    2) how do you find the quality of teaching?
    3) what do you study?
    & overall, would you have chosen to go to a better uni or another uni?
    In terms of Guildford itself it's not that big of a town and not really much to do there. Although there is a cinema, airhop, an ice rink and bowling, and it's quite a nice area itself. The Surrey sports park is amazing! The nightlife is not good lol there really is nothing there and it's a very expensive night out.

I really like my lecturers and the teaching. They're very helpful but what I would say is annoying is that the lectures aren't recorded like they are at other unis which would be helpful.

I wouldn't have chosen another uni because I fell in love with the campus and everything about Surrey at the open day and it was definitely where I wanted to go and with my specific course there were limited options anyway. It is very expensive though and far from home which is annoying. Overall the uni itself is nice though

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My son is considering Loughborough as firm choice for engineering, course, labs, links with industry etc are all fantastic. But the applicant day was on a recent Saturday and the campus was deserted, it felt very strange, hardly anyone about. I wondered I this was typical. Can't be as Loughborough seems to pride itself on he student life. Would you mind asking your sister? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollyblacklab)
    My son is considering Loughborough as firm choice for engineering, course, labs, links with industry etc are all fantastic. But the applicant day was on a recent Saturday and the campus was deserted, it felt very strange, hardly anyone about. I wondered I this was typical. Can't be as Loughborough seems to pride itself on he student life. Would you mind asking your sister? Thank you!
    Loughborough's student life is so good! I remember being so jealous of their freshers' week in particular. My sister had 2 reading weeks recently. It was probably during this time as a lot of students decide to go home during reading week. I went there yesterday actually and it was really busy with loads of students about so I'd say he just went at an odd time

just another thought if it was a Saturday morning it's possible that the students could've been in bed still hungover. Saturday mornings at Surrey on campus tend to be quite quiet hahaa

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey! I'm currently deciding between Huddersfield/Loughborough/Coventry for an aviation degree (Air Transport Management), in my opinion i think Loughborough is my favourite, but can i ask what the environments like, what accomodations like, the teaching and just the campus in general thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benj1999)
    Hey! I'm currently deciding between Huddersfield/Loughborough/Coventry for an aviation degree (Air Transport Management), in my opinion i think Loughborough is my favourite, but can i ask what the environments like, what accomodations like, the teaching and just the campus in general thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She says it has a good social life, nice gyms and is very sports orientated so if you like sports is good in that aspect she lives in Robert bakewell, it's lovely accommodation. I have seen it and wish mine was as nice! The wardens and mentors etc are helpful when you have problems ie she lost her keys and they were quick and understanding with helping her. Only problem she has is with the Internet.

The campus is big but the campus has a bus shuttle which is free. The students union is great she says also!

There's quite an atmosphere for partying but I think that can be like that for many unis or it may be just her area. But if you like partying or not I'm sure you'll find your place

I've lived around Loughborough most my life and the town itself is alright. I actually like it personally but it's not the biggest, more renowned for pubs than clubs but my sister doesn't really go into clubs in town, they usually just go to the SU. Although drinks are cheap compared to other areas!

She likes her teachers and finds them helpful mostly but she isn't doing the same degree as you and is doing an arts subject instead so I don't think she can offer much advice in this area as you're doing a very different degree.

I helped her move in when she went and the move in day was very well planned. Other students were very helpful and helped keep freshers enthusiastic and included. The freshers week too had a lot going on, not just about drinking which was good. They did a sing off amongst other things.

Also accommodation when you move out for second year is cheap aswell which is a bonus

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.