Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

so, I about to finish undergrad in The Netherlands, and applying to grad school. I applied to 5 so far, with the "least quality school" being in Vienna. I just got an email from them, saying that I have been deffered from the early round to the regular one in March, and from there, only 25% of the deferred applicants actually get in.

I was so so confident about getting in! Even my current professor who taught there previously told me that I am already over-qualified, coming from the best Dutch undergrad, honours college, with 5 languages, extracurriculars at national level, UN internship, etc....and now this. Now I feel like I will not get anywhere, because my other 4 schools are way better (Sciences Po, College of Europe, etc.).

Do you think there is a correlation - i.e. that I won't get into the better schools? Just generally asking...Has anyone been deferred/rejected from their insurance choice and accepted to their better choices? It just doesn't make sense to me and I am so, so, so worried that I will end up with no offer, even though my professors are positive about my chances in all schools...

Any opinions? Advice on how to survive this waiting without going insane?

ReputationRep:
    My guess (and it's all any of us here can do) is that the discrepancy between your qualifications and the Viennese institution's requirements is so great, that it's obvious they are an insurance choice. They don't want to waste time and resources offering you a place, unless they're comfortable that you're unlikely to turn them down and go elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saska)
    Hey everyone,

so, I about to finish undergrad in The Netherlands, and applying to grad school. I applied to 5 so far, with the "least quality school" being in Vienna. I just got an email from them, saying that I have been deffered from the early round to the regular one in March, and from there, only 25% of the deferred applicants actually get in.

I was so so confident about getting in! Even my current professor who taught there previously told me that I am already over-qualified, coming from the best Dutch undergrad, honours college, with 5 languages, extracurriculars at national level, UN internship, etc....and now this. Now I feel like I will not get anywhere, because my other 4 schools are way better (Sciences Po, College of Europe, etc.).

Do you think there is a correlation - i.e. that I won't get into the better schools? Just generally asking...Has anyone been deferred/rejected from their insurance choice and accepted to their better choices? It just doesn't make sense to me and I am so, so, so worried that I will end up with no offer, even though my professors are positive about my chances in all schools...

Any opinions? Advice on how to survive this waiting without going insane?
    No one can say for definite. I imagine each of the programmes you've applied to in the various universities are slightly different, so perhaps the one in Vienna wasn't a great fit for you, in the eyes of the academics doing the admissions?
    Additionally, you don't know that you've definitely been rejected from there yet - you said yourself that 25% of deferred applicants get in after the standard round, so there is still an opportunity.
    Different universities and programmes prize different aspects of an application sometimes - while your academics must be good, they may also be looking for other attributes to contribute to their programmes, it's hard to say.
    In any case, don't panic just yet, and wait and see for other responses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    My guess (and it's all any of us here can do) is that the discrepancy between your qualifications and the Viennese institution's requirements is so great, that it's obvious they are an insurance choice. They don't want to waste time and resources offering you a place, unless they're comfortable that you're unlikely to turn them down and go elsewhere.
    Hmm, interesting point of view. On the one hand, I made it pretty clear in my motivation letter, that the school focuses exactly on both my research interests, that the location is great for internships, networking, my future plans, etc.

But on the other hand, my other schools like Sciences Po, IHEID, College of Europe, have much more detailed requirements (GPA, langauges, experience, etc.). This Vienesse one just wants "a university degree in any discipline (minimum 180 ECTS) & an excellent command of English."

And, hodling their offer for long is exactly what I was going to do - wait for other offers and reject this one in May/June. I would have held their offer since late January till almost June, so...could be true.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.