Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslims, if your child left Islam, what would you do? Watch

Announcements

My brother and I are ex-muslims whilst my sister is still into it. Our mum disapproves of some things and only voices her disapproval but other than that doesn't treat us any differently- in return we're completely honest with her. She has a firm belief but even she questions some things about Islam.
    As the question is aimed at Muslims, some people (such as my mum) do not act harshly and if my sister were to have children, I think she would be the same. Me, personally, definitely would not raise any children I have as Muslims unless they choose it for themselves.

(Original post by ivybridge)
    I understand what you're saying but I really cannot comprehend why a mother would disown a part of them, something they have loved and protected all their life to date, because they don't share the same beliefs as them about the existence or nonexistence of God... something nobody can ever verify...

But, it's your life.
    When I think about it I doubt I could disown my own child. Even if I did I doubt I'd live long after doing so. But when you've been brought up to think somethings the right way, and for generations everyone has had the same view, it's just hard to accept that not everyone in your fam is going to have the same views. Anyway I'm glad there's someone on this thread who actually understands where I'm coming from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    I think what those parents did was justifiable. I know they're your children but if you're a true Muslim you believe that non Muslims don't go to paradise. Who would want their children in hell for eternity? I certainly understand their point of view.
    What really? You believe I'm going to hell and that it's justified?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    I think what those parents did was justifiable. I know they're your children but if you're a true Muslim you believe that non Muslims don't go to paradise. Who would want their children in hell for eternity? I certainly understand their point of view.
    ^SHOCKING and Muslims wonder why they get so much hate?

(Original post by RobML)
    What really? You believe I'm going to hell and that it's justified?
    When did I say that? Even extremely religious people can believe that if you're a good person, God will take that into account and you will go to paradise. But when you're born a Muslim and you leave its just different #deepthoughts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    When did I say that? Even extremely religious people can believe that if you're a good person, God will take that into account and you will go to paradise. But when you're born a Muslim and you leave its just different #deepthoughts
    What's the difference between being Muslim and leaving to never being Muslim at all? And if there is, why does God apply stricter rules to a particular group of people (Muslims)?

(Original post by RobML)
    What's the difference between being Muslim and leaving to never being Muslim at all? And if there is, why does God apply stricter rules to a particular group of people (Muslims)?
    Never being Muslim= you may have never come across Islam, or your parents have prevent you from practicing it. Born a Muslim= you were exposed to Islam and your parents introduced you to it, but you left it. As for the second question I don't know.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Lol at the people here saying they would disown their child based on their own beliefs.
    Wow, what a great parent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    Never being Muslim= you may have never come across Islam, or your parents have prevent you from practicing it. Born a Muslim= you were exposed to Islam and your parents introduced you to it, but you left it. As for the second question I don't know.
    I'm certainly aware of Islam and could become Muslim if I wanted to :dontknow: But what about those children who were forced into it by their upbringing? Why should they be punished for leaving something they had no say in joining?

Some of the views on here :puke:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    Lol at the people here saying they would disown their child based on their own beliefs.
    Wow, what a great parent!
    I know, shocking.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't disown my child, perhaps talk to them to understand why they have left. I would just hope/pray that they one day return to Islam, however you can't force a religion on someone. But I would be happy to explain and answers questions about Islam to them the best I can.

I would just hope they don't become a raging neckbeard atheist, they're just annoying.

(Edit- by "raging atheist" I mean the aggressive one that do nothing but insult religions, nothing wrong with being an atheist in general)

To add to this, I don't see why you would disown them, even as a religious Muslim you would just hope they come back to the religion one day, disowning them wouldn't help, plus it's your child fgs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    its hard to say how i would react. my dad left Hinduism and my grandma disowned him. i have hindu family and it hurts to see that they are not Muslim esp when they die. i wouldnt disown them but i would pray for them constantly
    With attitudes like this I'm starting to agree with the RSS on a few points......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn!)
    With attitudes like this I'm starting to agree with the RSS on a few points......
    whats the RRS?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Hindu and my dad is an athiest, he left the religion despite both of my grandparents being religious. Nobody disowned him, why is this such an issue in Islam? (No disrespect but disowning your child isn't going to resolve the situation. You raised that child fgs how are you gonna treat them like a piece of **** after?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Some of the views on here :puke:
    Agree with you there. I'm genuinely shocked by what I'm hearing from certain people. Makes me sick too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    whats the RRS?
    Something I think I'll be supporting a lot more from now on.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how/why someone would disown their own child for having different religious beliefs :shock:

Humanity should always come first! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn!)
    Something I think I'll be supporting a lot more from now on.
    tell me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    I don't understand how/why someone would disown their own child for having different religious beliefs :shock:

Humanity should always come first! :yep:
    Funnily enough the guy in your pic probably thinks you're going to hell.....but he'll happily take your money at the box office in the meantime. You know what they say - 'A fool and his money are soon parted'. :lol:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.