Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslims, if your child left Islam, what would you do? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrokenLife)
    Islam doesn't say that non Muslims will go to hell. It says that any individual who is a good human will be judged on his deeds. This is my understanding of Islam tbh.
    I didn't even know that, this is why I don't get into debates about religion normally, I don't have the knowledge :lol:

On another note, I think only like two people indicated they'd disown their child, I'm not sure where all the uproar is coming from

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, girl! This is exactly what I would do as a mother too.

Also, how can Muslims impose their religion on their children when Islam says that there is no compulsion in religion!!?

Like seriously, such Muslims needs to understand Islam first and then talk.
    I don't understand how people are like that. It's as if suppose my parents were another religion (other than Islam) and they forced it upon me when I want to be Muslim, it would cause so much unnecessary tension.

It's so wrong when children are forced into a religion. :no:

(Original post by mkap)
    really which religions dont say this apart from atheism? its nice to know that that was the only thing you could respond too
    atheism isn't a religion and plenty do, Judaism to name the most famous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    I didn't even know that, this is why I don't get into debates about religion normally, I don't have the knowledge :lol:

On another note, I think only like two people indicated they'd disown their child, I'm not sure where all the uproar is coming from
    Haha lol the first part made me laugh

Ikr. Its the general assumptions that many people have about Muslims that every Muslim will disown their child if he/she leaves Islam. Islam doesn't even tell any of its followers to disown their child if they leave Islam. If that was the case, you would never find this verse in Quran that there is no compulsion in religion. Also, if forcing people to accept Islam is what Islam taught, then the Prophet(saw) would never let people of other faith to practice their religion. Yes, he fought battles but that was only because Muslims of that times were being forced to leave Islam and to not practice their religious freedom. That was in defence. Never even once did the Prophet(saw) fought a battle to force people to believe in Islam.

Muslims who disown their children just because of just stupid reasons are the ones influence by their culture and ideas of 'izzat' or 'ghairat', not Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undercxver)
    I don't understand how people are like that. It's as if suppose my parents were another religion (other than Islam) and they forced it upon me when I want to be Muslim, it would cause so much unnecessary tension.

It's so wrong when children are forced into a religion. :no:
    Absolutely. Its a shame. Its all due to culture and has nothing to do with the religion itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kandykissesxox)
    Even though my dad is an athiest, I know that something divine will happen to him in the afterlife. It's seriously not the end, he's is the most righteous indivual I know.

I think Hinduism should still be classed as a religion, a lot of the Hindus I know are quite traditional and some are just ignorant on the outlook of achieving moksha in more than one way.

They believe that being a worshipper of God is the only way forward. I disagree.

If you are a respectful and kind human being then there is no reason to believe that you will not reach moksha.
    Yeah, that's quite true. Like you said, most of the Hindus I know have a traditional upbringing/background, i.e. worshipping God rather than focussing on one's self and the ultimate goal. I suppose that aspect of it can definitely be seen as a religion.

It's very interesting, though. Hopefully after exam season, I can educate myself more about other religions.

Islam doesn't say that non Muslims will go to hell. It says that any individual who is a good human will be judged on his deeds. This is my understanding of Islam tbh.
    i don't think that's true you know I'm quite sure there are bits in the koran saying that there is a terrible punishment in the hereafter for non believers.if you don't need to be a moslem to go to heaven then what really is the point in following islam,it renders the religion totally superfluous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i don't think that's true you know I'm quite sure there are bits in the koran saying that there is a terrible punishment in the hereafter for non believers.if you don't need to be a moslem to go to heaven then what really is the point in following islam,it renders the religion totally superfluous
    Quran*
    Muslim*

People need to understand that Quran is not a book which can be taken as its literal meanings all the time. There are verses of Quran which are metaphoric or relates to the historical events that took part in the time of the Prophet(saw). Many Muslims don't understand this and take such verses as literal. This is where the issues arises. People need to really look at the interpretation of the Quran and not the literal meanings.
    I'm willing to explain Islam's stance on apostasy if anyone wants to know. So please let me know. The short answer is that there is no worldly punishment for apostasy in Islam. Further can be explained with Quranic verses, if anyone wants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioStudentx)
    Accurate summary of what happens in countries like Iran.
    you forgot to include how you have probably never been to Iran and that you are therefore incorrectly assuming something based on what you have read on the Dailymail and Facebook.

Things like this do not happen in Iran at all and I know because I have lived there and have family that still do. I agree that it is not the perfect place to be if you are not Muslim but do not go around saying it is an accurate summary -_- cause it is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire_and_ice)
    Yeah, that's quite true. Like you said, most of the Hindus I know have a traditional upbringing/background, i.e. worshipping God rather than focussing on one's self and the ultimate goal. I suppose that aspect of it can definitely be seen as a religion.

It's very interesting, though. Hopefully after exam season, I can educate myself more about other religions.
    From my personal experience its more to do with the influence of the older generations forcing their ideology and what they believe is to be the "correct" form of worship onto the younger generation of today. Devotion is ambiguous and that's usually dismissed.

I would also love to do the same! I want to explore Hinduism, Jediism and Buddhism in further depth.

Quran*
    Muslim*

People need to understand that Quran is not a book which can be taken as its literal meanings all the time. There are verses of Quran which are metaphoric or relates to the historical events that took part in the time of the Prophet(saw). Many Muslims don't understand this and take such verses as literal. This is where the issues arises. People need to really look at the interpretation of the Quran and not the literal meanings.
    * Koran http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/koran

*Moslem http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Moslem

what exactly is metaphorical about saying nonbelievers are cursed and will go to hell,mind explaining ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    * Koran http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/koran

*Moslem http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Moslem

what exactly is metaphorical about saying nonbelievers are cursed and will go to hell,mind explaining ?
    I will explain but quote such a verse from Quran please.

ReputationRep:
    Haha lol the first part made me laugh

Ikr. Its the general assumptions that many people have about Muslims that every Muslim will disown their child if he/she leaves Islam. Islam doesn't even tell any of its followers to disown their child if they leave Islam. If that was the case, you would never find this verse in Quran that there is no compulsion in religion. Also, if forcing people to accept Islam is what Islam taught, then the Prophet(saw) would never let people of other faith to practice their religion. Yes, he fought battles but that was only because Muslims of that times were being forced to leave Islam and to not practice their religious freedom. That was in defence. Never even once did the Prophet(saw) fought a battle to force people to believe in Islam.

Muslims who disown their children just because of just stupid reasons are the ones influence by their culture and ideas of 'izzat' or 'ghairat', not Islam.
    I know, I mean non-Muslims still existed in Muslims countries for such a long time, forcing your religion is disallowed and just pointless tbh.

I think a lot of people worry more about what there community will think and maintaining their "izzat", it's more of a cultural thing I guess.

I will explain but quote such a verse from Quran please.
    certainly

quran 2:6-7 Indeed, those who disbelieve - it is all the same for them whether you warn them or do not warn them - they will not believe.Allah has set a seal upon their hearts and upon their hearing, and over their vision is a veil. And for them is a great punishment.

2:39 And those who disbelieve and deny Our signs - those will be companions of the Fire; they will abide therein eternally."

2:89 And when there came to them a Book from Allah confirming that which was with them - although before they used to pray for victory against those who disbelieved - but [then] when there came to them that which they recognized, they disbelieved in it; so the curse of Allah will be upon the disbelievers.

2:104 O you who have believed, say not [to Allah 's Messenger], "Ra'ina" but say, "Unthurna" and listen. And for the disbelievers is a painful punishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahorizon)
    you forgot to include how you have probably never been to Iran and that you are therefore incorrectly assuming something based on what you have read on the Dailymail and Facebook.

Things like this do not happen in Iran at all and I know because I have lived there and have family that still do. I agree that it is not the perfect place to be if you are not Muslim but do not go around saying it is an accurate summary -_- cause it is not.
    What are you on about? You're just making assumptions. I'm 100% Iranian (by blood/heritage) and have been to Iran 20+ times.

This is your argument - You're not Iranian so you dont know what you're talking about?
    Iran is a disgusting, homophobic, sexist and barbaric country. Read about the laws in Iran and come back please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire_and_ice)

reply pm pls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioStudentx)
    What are you on about? You're just making assumptions. I'm 100% Iranian (by blood/heritage) and have been to Iran 20+ times.

This is your argument - You're not Iranian so you dont know what you're talking about?
    Iran is a disgusting, homophobic, sexist and barbaric country. Read about the laws in Iran and come back please.
    Then why have I never seen what you said was an 'accurate summary' ? I think you are exaggerating because those things do not happen in the streets and you are giving a bad image. Yes I agree that there are many aspects of Iran which are terrible but don't exaggerate and use facts instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahorizon)
    Then why have I never seen what you said was an 'accurate summary' ? I think you are exaggerating because those things do not happen in the streets and you are giving a bad image. Yes I agree that there are many aspects of Iran which are terrible but don't exaggerate and use facts instead.
    Just because some things don't happen "on the streets" it doesn't mean they don't occur at all. Are you two years old?
    Okay I'll come back with facts. Here's a list of things you can get executed for in Iran:
    Armed robbery, Kidnapping, Drug trafficking, Adultery, Apostasy (converting out of Islam), consensual sexual relations between adults of same sex.
    It's you who is ignoring the facts.

(Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    Lol, I'd say the parents were quite lenient seeing as the Quran says you should kill anyone that leaves Islam. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Qur'an actually doesn't state that. I do not know where you are getting your information from. It is a sin to kill anyone and Muslims who do kill their children for leaving Islam are going against the Qur'an.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lidiaislam13)
    That is not true at all. Nowhere in the Quran does it say so. Know the true facts before commenting please.
    Quran 4:89

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.