Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you know another person sees the same colours to you? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely no way of knowing the qualia that someone else experiences - they are phenomenal artifacts of our consciousness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOtherSide.)
    B-but I still see white and gold...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Is my brain lying to me?
    I dont know man :cry2:

(Original post by kandykissesxox)
    I thought it was to do with the lighting 😂 I watched the ASAP science vid as well but I can't remember what their conclusion was on the whole dress palava.

How are you seeing white?🤔😳
    Oh right x'D

I legit don't know but it wasn't WHITE WHITE like paper it was greyish blueish tinted white but it was white none the less
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I remember this eventually made the news a couple years back (or less). I see black and blue (a bit towards the violet side). Some see gold and white if I recall, but apparently it really is black and blue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    I remember this eventually made the news a couple years back (or less). I see black and blue (a bit towards the violet side). Some see gold and white if I recall, but apparently it really is black and blue.
    I swear it was only last year.

I see no black/white just pure blue and gold. But yeah it's to do with how the colour of the dress appears when exposed to light or how the light hits it (I remember the ASAP vid now lol..) yeah it is actually black and blue (somehow).

ReputationRep:
    Lmao I think about this all the time :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Indeed - same signals, but the colour we perceive is just our brian's interpretation of those signals. There's nothing telling us what it should look like (so to speak) so it could look like anything to everyone :cute:

I guess an argument against it is that everyone sees yellow as that annoying colour that's too close to white to be visible easily :unimpressed:
    How do you know we see white the same way?

Human vocabulary is not advanced enough to describe colours yet; there's no way of knowing.

ReputationRep:
    I see white n gold and always have done :indiff:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I swear it was only last year.
    Thanks - I feel a bit younger now.

I see no black/white just pure blue and gold. But yeah it's to do with how the colour of the dress appears when exposed to light or how the light hits it (I remember the ASAP vid now lol..) yeah it is actually black and blue (somehow).
    I'm not going senile then.

I sometimes wonder if wars, battles, fights etc. have been started in the past because of this phenomena. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I think this about smells lol

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - I feel a bit younger now.

I'm not going senile then.

I sometimes wonder if wars, battles, fights etc. have been started in the past because of this phenomena. :holmes:
    Haha, I'm glad you feel younger

I'd like to believe that but religion and race seem to be the core problem for wars and battles taking place..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I'm glad you feel younger

I'd like to believe that but religion and race seem to be the core problem for wars and battles taking place..
    Precisely what I was hinting at. Opposing sides seeing and believing differently, each believing they're in the right. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more extreme or fictional figures were suffering from any number of medical disorders/delusions, and mistaken for divine revelation.

ReputationRep:
    I've been seeing gold and blue (FS I've evoked this stupid dress debate)
    Depending on the photo, I see as white or blue and gold, but I've never had anyone else seeing it as blue and gold

ReputationRep:
    Precisely what I was hinting at. Opposing sides seeing and believing differently, each believing they're in the right. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more extreme or fictional figures were suffering from any number of medical disorders/delusions, and mistaken for divine revelation.
    Exactly, conflicting views is one thing but using machinery/weaponery to force people to conform with your perspective is disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    Interestingly enough, I recently wrote an essay about this. Very interesting topic.

To put it simply, you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblewrap167)
    Depending on the photo, I see as white or blue and gold, but I've never had anyone else seeing it as blue and gold
    Really? More people on TSR have said White than what I've heard people say irl.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaOtter)
    You don't, we all see colours slightly differently, we also don't know how differently that may be.

Just FYI, if everyone says that grass is green, it might be any colour to you, but you'd always call that colour green.
    My mind is actually blown

ReputationRep:
    Really? More people on TSR have said White than what I've heard people say irl.

Most people I know says white and gold

ReputationRep:

Put your finger over the middle.

ReputationRep:
    We don't. Just assume everyone else does, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblewrap167)
    Most people I know says white and gold
    No idea where you're getting the white from tbh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.