The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Aston uni, Computer science reviews?

I've got an offer from Aston but was curious about how good it actually is at cs, from a students perspective.
I'm kinda having a hard time finding reviews about the course :s-smilie: so was wondering if any current/old students could let me know what they thought about the teaching, teachers, classrooms e.t.c

I appreciate any advice :biggrin:
Original post by hish11
I've got an offer from Aston but was curious about how good it actually is at cs, from a students perspective.
I'm kinda having a hard time finding reviews about the course :s-smilie: so was wondering if any current/old students could let me know what they thought about the teaching, teachers, classrooms e.t.c

I appreciate any advice :biggrin:

Hi,

Fantastic to hear you're thinking of studying with us, rather than just throwing marketing stats at you i was wondering if you had any questions? The admissions team associated to Computer Science should be able to give you most of the course related information. But i would love to chat about anything Aston or Birmingham related with you. :smile:

Josh
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
It's not so much about the course but rather what 'individual' students thought about it. I'm not really looking for statistics, i.e. student satisfaction rates, but was hoping to get some personal responses about what individuals felt about the teaching and atmosphere at the uni.
What they hated as well as what they loved.
bump
Reply 4
Original post by hish11
It's not so much about the course but rather what 'individual' students thought about it. I'm not really looking for statistics, i.e. student satisfaction rates, but was hoping to get some personal responses about what individuals felt about the teaching and atmosphere at the uni.
What they hated as well as what they loved.

Hi there Hish. I'm currently in my 1st year at Aston Univeristy studying BSc Computer Science. I'm telling you, the student experience is great. The lecturers are good and understanding. We have a Programming Support Officer on site who can support all your programming needs if in doubt. The student atmosphere is great here. Feels like a second home.

The teaching is great. All lectures are recorded and can be accessed with ease. The lecturers are approachable and are willing to help you understand material further if you require so.

The only disadvantage would be finding a quiet space in the library to study, especially near exam season, except the silent study floor. Other than that, the library is an awesome place to be at.

I'm telling you, I've achieved some decent grades so far and have been able to do so thanks to the excellent facilities the university provided.

If you have any further enquiries, let me know :-)
Original post by Amar AS
Hi there Hish. I'm currently in my 1st year at Aston Univeristy studying BSc Computer Science. I'm telling you, the student experience is great. The lecturers are good and understanding. We have a Programming Support Officer on site who can support all your programming needs if in doubt. The student atmosphere is great here. Feels like a second home.

The teaching is great. All lectures are recorded and can be accessed with ease. The lecturers are approachable and are willing to help you understand material further if you require so.

The only disadvantage would be finding a quiet space in the library to study, especially near exam season, except the silent study floor. Other than that, the library is an awesome place to be at.

I'm telling you, I've achieved some decent grades so far and have been able to do so thanks to the excellent facilities the university provided.

Hi Amar, i came across this thread and found your response so informative - thank you. Would also like to ask: what grade were you asked to achieve? What about the area- is it lively and with lots to do for students? Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Amar AS

Thanks for the reply :biggrin:Got the same questions as elfreda, but would also like to know how many lecturers you have and what you thought of them. Are they boring? Funny? Helpful? And if you had to rate their teaching out of 10, what would you give them? (5 = average teacher)

I'm also curious about the 'facilities', that you mentioned, in your final paragraph. What are they and how did they help you?

Also, what are the things you love most about going at Aston? What are the things you hate most?

Sorry about the bombardment of questions 😅 I'm kindda stuck between Aston and Warwick at the moment and am currently trying to weigh up the pros and cons of each.Thanks.
Reply 7
Hi i didnt really do computing at college, how difficult is the transition
Reply 8
are there exams for this course?
Hi there! For the BSc Computer Science degree, the assessment is by a combination of written exams, projects and coursework. The proportion of each varies according to the modules chosen but examinations typically comprise around 75% and continuous assessment around 25%. I hope this helps! *Helen
Original post by KA15-JAT
are there exams for this course?
Original post by Amar AS

Hi, i am debating about going to aston University and i want to know how your overall experience was with placements and teaching and how did it helped your career if you don't mind me asking about it
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, i am debating about going to aston University and i want to know how your overall experience was with placements and teaching and how did it helped your career if you don't mind me asking about it

Hi there,

I am not a computer science student myself, but a friend of mine did his Masters in Computer Science at Aston and I spoke to him about his experience with the course. He went into the masters from a mechanical engineering background and was worried that he would struggle to keep up with other students. However this wasn't the case, there was a bootcamp set up before the course started to help those with different backgrounds gain the basic knowledge before starting the main course. The lecturers were very helpful and supportive and as long as you communicated with them they would help you to the best they could. All the lecturers knew a lot about what they were teaching and were very passionate about it. He highlighted that his was a masters course so as an adult learner he had to take a lot of initiative and put in work outside class room hours.

The Computer Science BSc at Aston is accredited for Chartered IT Professional (CITP), the British Computer Society's (BCS) Chartered qualification. On graduation, you’ll have the right to join the BCS - the principal organisation for IT professionals in the UK.  This is useful as being a Chartered IT Professional means you meet the independent standard of competence and professionalism in the technology industry and can set yourself apart from others working in the sector

Placement years are always useful as they give you an opportunity to put your knowledge into practice, help you make connections in your chosen industry, and give you a competitive edge in the job market on graduating. Some people even go on to secure graduate jobs at their placement workplaces.

I know this doesn't answer your question thoroughly, but i hope this has been helpful in some way.

*Ethel

Quick Reply

Latest