Aston uni, Computer science reviews? Watch

hish11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've got an offer from Aston but was curious about how good it actually is at cs, from a students perspective.
I'm kinda having a hard time finding reviews about the course so was wondering if any current/old students could let me know what they thought about the teaching, teachers, classrooms e.t.c

I appreciate any advice
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hish11)
I've got an offer from Aston but was curious about how good it actually is at cs, from a students perspective.
I'm kinda having a hard time finding reviews about the course so was wondering if any current/old students could let me know what they thought about the teaching, teachers, classrooms e.t.c

I appreciate any advice
Hi,

Fantastic to hear you're thinking of studying with us, rather than just throwing marketing stats at you i was wondering if you had any questions? The admissions team associated to Computer Science should be able to give you most of the course related information. But i would love to chat about anything Aston or Birmingham related with you.

Josh
hish11
Rep:
?
It's not so much about the course but rather what 'individual' students thought about it. I'm not really looking for statistics, i.e. student satisfaction rates, but was hoping to get some personal responses about what individuals felt about the teaching and atmosphere at the uni.
What they hated as well as what they loved.
elfreda69
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
bump
Amar AS
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hish11)
It's not so much about the course but rather what 'individual' students thought about it. I'm not really looking for statistics, i.e. student satisfaction rates, but was hoping to get some personal responses about what individuals felt about the teaching and atmosphere at the uni.
What they hated as well as what they loved.
Hi there Hish. I'm currently in my 1st year at Aston Univeristy studying BSc Computer Science. I'm telling you, the student experience is great. The lecturers are good and understanding. We have a Programming Support Officer on site who can support all your programming needs if in doubt. The student atmosphere is great here. Feels like a second home.

The teaching is great. All lectures are recorded and can be accessed with ease. The lecturers are approachable and are willing to help you understand material further if you require so.

The only disadvantage would be finding a quiet space in the library to study, especially near exam season, except the silent study floor. Other than that, the library is an awesome place to be at.

I'm telling you, I've achieved some decent grades so far and have been able to do so thanks to the excellent facilities the university provided.

If you have any further enquiries, let me know :-)
elfreda69
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Amar AS)
Hi there Hish. I'm currently in my 1st year at Aston Univeristy studying BSc Computer Science. I'm telling you, the student experience is great. The lecturers are good and understanding. We have a Programming Support Officer on site who can support all your programming needs if in doubt. The student atmosphere is great here. Feels like a second home.

The teaching is great. All lectures are recorded and can be accessed with ease. The lecturers are approachable and are willing to help you understand material further if you require so.

The only disadvantage would be finding a quiet space in the library to study, especially near exam season, except the silent study floor. Other than that, the library is an awesome place to be at.

I'm telling you, I've achieved some decent grades so far and have been able to do so thanks to the excellent facilities the university provided.

Hi Amar, i came across this thread and found your response so informative - thank you. Would also like to ask: what grade were you asked to achieve? What about the area- is it lively and with lots to do for students? Thanks
hish11
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amar AS)

Thanks for the reply Got the same questions as elfreda, but would also like to know how many lecturers you have and what you thought of them. Are they boring? Funny? Helpful? And if you had to rate their teaching out of 10, what would you give them? (5 = average teacher)

I'm also curious about the 'facilities', that you mentioned, in your final paragraph. What are they and how did they help you?

Also, what are the things you love most about going at Aston? What are the things you hate most?

Sorry about the bombardment of questions 😅 I'm kindda stuck between Aston and Warwick at the moment and am currently trying to weigh up the pros and cons of each.Thanks.
mastar97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi i didnt really do computing at college, how difficult is the transition
KA15-JAT
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
are there exams for this course?
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there! For the BSc Computer Science degree, the assessment is by a combination of written exams, projects and coursework. The proportion of each varies according to the modules chosen but examinations typically comprise around 75% and continuous assessment around 25%. I hope this helps! *Helen
(Original post by KA15-JAT)
are there exams for this course?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (121)
19.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.32%
No I am happy with my course choice (351)
56.43%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise