Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First cousin marriages? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Sanguinous marriages are very common amongst certain cultures and in certain countries especially amongst Muslims.

There are certainly issues with genetic defects etc.

as an example, there is a higher than average incidence of CF in Turkey due to sanguinous marriage.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that still incest or somethin?
    Are they arranged marriages? Do families members enjoy being really close?
    I don't really care that much, but not marry someone that isn't related to you?
    I guess its more convenient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biryani007)
    My dad and I were having a conversation about this the other day...he put forward an analogy..

In regards to having children with birth defects, marrying your cousin is like standing in the middle of a busy road (putting yourself at a higher risk of being hit) compared to a non-cousin marriage we're you're walking along the pavement, not 100% safe from being hit (having children with birth defects) but you aren't placing yourself in a situation we're there's an increased risk...

The way he smiles proudly looking around the room after he comes out with these analogies awaiting a round of applause is hilariously adorable :lol:
    I love this analogy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A bit of trivia and education here.

The expression "the village idiot" highlights the issues...
    In times past, when lack of transport and isolation were more prevalent, people consequently inbred to often produce offspring with genetic defects in appearance as well as the intellect.
    ... and hence the expression

ReputationRep:
    nah, that's a muslim ting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravenous;[url="tel:62524261")
    62524261[/url]]It's done all over the Muslim world. It's true it's also done by some non-Muslim South Asians too, like South Indians.
    Yeah that's good for you but it doesn't answer my question as to why the OP phrased it "UK muslims" when it has nothing to do with islamic teachings. It's OP trying to feed the rhetoric that muslims are backwards.

ReputationRep:
    No way, i wouldnt marry into my family. its gross, my cousins are like my brothers.

For those saying its a Muslim thing its actually a cultural thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butternuts96)
    Yeah that's good for you but it doesn't answer my question as to why the OP phrased it "UK muslims" when it has nothing to do with islamic teachings. It's OP trying to feed the rhetoric that muslims are backwards.
    Ok fair enough, I thought you were trying to imply it's just Asian Muslims that do it. I agree it isn't due to Islamic teachings.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.