This discussion is closed.
sideshowbob
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I have got a job here in Maidenhead which I plan to do for about 2 months before going to uni. The only problem is it's a 12 month contract with a 1 month written notice period. Should I give them my months notice after only working for 1 month or should I simply stop turning up after 2 months? Am I legally enforced to give them my notice period?
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sideshowbob)
I have got a job here in Maidenhead which I plan to do for about 2 months before going to uni. The only problem is it's a 12 month contract with a 1 month written notice period. Should I give them my months notice after only working for 1 month or should I simply stop turning up after 2 months? Am I legally enforced to give them my notice period?
you need to give them as much notice as possible...
i suggest that you go and speak to your boss and give them the date of when you would like to leave....explain to them that you have had a change of heart (so they don't think you had the intention of leaving all along!!)
they should be fine with it- you have given them plenty of time to find someone else!!
Ruthie xx
muncrun
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes. You are legally obliged to give the notice period. But that is the legal position. The practical reality is that your employer would be unlikely to enforce that contract in a court.

Nevertheless it will do you better to serve the notice period. By dissapearing you are going to p*ss your employer off. Giving notice not only puts you in a better position, there's just a chance that you could leave on relatively good terms.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (21)
40.38%
Take exams next summer (12)
23.08%
Change uni choice through clearing (13)
25%
Apply to uni next year instead (5)
9.62%
I'm not applying to university (1)
1.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise