The Student Room Group

Working during study

I your opinion working and studying at the same time is good?
Original post by aga78227
I your opinion working and studying at the same time is good?

Hi there,

It all depends on individual capability to work and study at the same time. I personally worked during my three years at University because it gave me a break from studying and a bit of well needed cash! However, I worked on the weekends from 7 til 2 so it didn't effect my study time.

Hope this helps,
Kath :h:.
Reply 2
Original post by Southampton Solent Uni Student Ambassador
Hi there,

It all depends on individual capability to work and study at the same time. I personally worked during my three years at University because it gave me a break from studying and a bit of well needed cash! However, I worked on the weekends from 7 til 2 so it didn't effect my study time.

Hope this helps,
Kath :h:.

So, it allows you to paying for dorm, buying food and presonaly's stuff? Have you worked before or after your classes or just in weekend?
So, it allows you to paying for dorm, buying food and presonaly's stuff? Have you worked before or after your classes or just in weekend?

Hi there,

It allowed for a lot of things, going out, food, new clothes, new books. Yes, I only worked weekends - I has class mates who worked in the week, but they were very unsocial hours and made them tired, if they had class the following day.

Thanks,
Kath
Reply 4
Hi there,

It allowed for a lot of things, going out, food, new clothes, new books. Yes, I only worked weekends - I has class mates who worked in the week, but they were very unsocial hours and made them tired, if they had class the following day.

Thanks,
Kath

Can I ask what job it was that you had on the weekends? Did you keep the same job for all three years?
Original post by Katarvi
Can I ask what job it was that you had on the weekends? Did you keep the same job for all three years?

Sure,

I worked in as a kitchen assistant/waitress, working 7 hours on Saturday and Sunday.

I started job mid way through my first year and finished in the summer just before I graduated.
Reply 6
Sure,

I worked in as a kitchen assistant/waitress, working 7 hours on Saturday and Sunday.

I started job mid way through my first year and finished in the summer just before I graduated.

That's awesome, thanks for the response!
Reply 7
Sure,

Where did you study and did you living with patents, in dorm or did you rent a flat or room in house?
Where did you study and did you living with patents, in dorm or did you rent a flat or room in house?

I studied at Southampton Solent University and I now work here on a graduate programme.

I lived at home with my parents as I was a short commute to university (20 minutes by train).
Reply 9
I studied at Southampton Solent University and I now work here on a graduate programme.

I lived at home with my parents as I was a short commute to university (20 minutes by train).

Thank you :smile:
If you're doing something where you're developing transferable skills (if, for instance, you worked as a student ambassador, you would develop public speaking skills) and you do not work so many hours that your academic work suffers, then I think it is an excellent thing. I would not have got my grad job if I hadn't worked during my degree.

If, however, you are doing the same [sort of] job that you've been doing since you were 16, then there is rather less value in it, and I would advise you to look for something a little more stretching / relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending