Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My son's GCSE option dilema URGENT HELP PLEASE Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I urgently need advice on what options are best for a future career in (i) science (ii) a job unrelated to science.

What options will open more doors into employment + offer more university degree courses

Combination of options are:

1. Physics + food technology (cookery) + design technology (making stuff)

OR

2. Geography + food technology (cookery) + design technology (making stuff)

OR

3. Physics + Geography + design technology (making stuff)

Both combinations will include chemistry biology and maths.

My son says he wants to be an entrepreneur/businessman ..... though don't know in what fieldhe wants to do business in

Thanks. deadline for submission 2 weeks I've got my ideas and he's got his own opinions too. I want him to make the best choice. Need advice from a third party

ReputationRep:
    This is your son's decision, not yours. Let him choice the wants he wants to do the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeroStudent)
    Hello, I urgently need advice on what options are best for a future career in (i) science (ii) a job unrelated to science.

What options will open more doors into employment + offer more university degree courses

OR

OR

My son says he wants to be an entrepreneur/businessman ..... though don't know in what fieldhe wants to do business in

Thanks. deadline for submission 2 weeks I've got my ideas and he's got his own opinions too. I want him to make the best choice. Need advice from a third party
    I'm still a year away from uni applications, but my opinion would be that option 3 would be best. That way he will have a grounding in all 3 sciences and geography, and I'm not sure what opinion unis/colleges etc. have of food tech (our school doesn't offer it). Geography is probably a good option so that pathways into any geological businesses are kept open.
    But at the same time, it is important that he gets to choose and have his say otherwise resentment may build up if you try to make him take something he doesn't want to.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE choices honestly make very little difference to your future, the only thing I would say is that if you want to do an a level which requires a certain gcse then you have to take that into consideration, (music for example). If I was your son I'd choose Physics + Geography + design technology, because I find them more interesting, but then again that's me. Whilst choices themselves don't make a ton of difference, the grades you get do. He just just choose what he's interested in and what he thinks he can get good grades in.

ReputationRep:

OR

OR

Well science related careers will probably be more linked to 3. If he wants to do something geography related then he'll obviously need that, and physics is essential for engineering courses. I depends what side of science he wants to go into. E.g. if medical then as long as you have chemistry and biology, they don't really care.

To be honest, universities aren't that concerned with GCSE options, as long as you have the right a levels.

ReputationRep:

OR

OR

What significance do you have in choosing this decision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    What significance do you have in choosing this decision?
    He/she is the child's parent...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabberjay_)
    He/she is the child's parent...?
    "Child"? It is the decision's of the pupil that matters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    "Child"? It is the decision's of the pupil that matters
    ... Which is why the OP outlined her/his son's desires for the future. Nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's his A Level choices/what he decides to do after GCSEs that are the most important.

As long as he does English, Maths, Science, and some other GCSEs and tries to get the best grades possible in them, then he'll be on the path to do whatever he wants afterwards. I would recommend if he's interested in science that he picks physics.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even know you could just choose to not study physics, it was compulsory for me. Physics + Geography + design technology will keep his options open I think. He wants to go into business now but he's young and people change. I did food technology and would advice against doing both food and product design. I was admittedly very lazy but I would not have coped with two of those two year long controlled assessments. Ultimately he should decide what he thinks is best though

ReputationRep:
    I can see OPTION 3 is the best but maybe I should be asking is OPTION 2 really that bad (considering that maths chemistry and biology will be studied)?

OPTION 2: Geography + food technology + design technology

let ur kid decide, he's old enough to do so

and its not rrly that important lmao as long as u pick a good variety

ReputationRep:

OR

OR

As to entrepreneurship - bear in mind that [at least on this side of the pond], more than 90% of small businesses go broke, usually within a few years. Cheers.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

OR

OR

I'm confused because at GCSE, it's compulsory that you do qualifications in core subjects: Maths, English Language and Literature and the Sciences.

ReputationRep:
    The options you pick at GCSe make very minimal impact, A level is where you should be concerned, like i chose computer science, worst 2 years of my life in those lessons and now im going to be doing Accounting at sixth form so...

ReputationRep:
    At 15/16 he needs to do just what he finds fun. On top of doing compulsory maths and english that bores the living daylights out of most people I'm sure it'll make his days more fun if he had subjects he was excited to go to. For me this was Art. I only got a C in it but after doing a couple of hours of science it was a nice welcome relief.

I was also told about a baccalaureate at GCSE. I'm not sure what good it ended up doing for me but hey, I did it. It consists of Maths, English, Double Science(or triple), a humanties and a language. Only the humanities and the language wasn't compulsory for me so I went ahead and picked History and French. It isn't official, but it makes you a rounded individual. Again, only do this if he believes he can do well and enjoy it. It isn't needed and again, I don't know if it actually benefited. Like others have said, look at the courses his chosen college has and their requirements.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.