laurenb7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
*Before I begin, I apologise for the cheesy title *

Anyway, HELLO!

I'm Lauren and I am currently a year 13 student studying four subjects which are English Literature(AQA), History(AQA), Psychology(OCR) and ICT.

I have applied for an English Literature degree and I need 300 UCAS points including a grade B in English. I am so determined to achieve these grades so that I can go to my chosen University.
Spoiler:
Show

In all honesty I was quite disappointed with my AS results because they did not at all reflect the grades I had been getting throughout the year. I ended up with:

English: D (This was the most disappointing because I had got an A in my coursework and had been getting mainly B's in the mock exams but hey ho there's no use in crying over spilt milk. I requested my paper back and I think I just let the exam conditions (timing etc.) get the better of me and was too vague so I will be resitting this paper and making sure I get an A in this years coursework too!

Psychology: C (I was okay with this result actually! I got a B in one paper but a D in the other. After receiving my university offer I decided not to resit this but to just focus on working hard on this years papers!)

History: D (So i got a C in one paper and a D in the other. I'm resitting the paper I got a D in, aiming for an A in coursework this year and a decent grade in the paper. I do find history interesting but I just hate remembering dates!)
I'm already in the process of making revision cards etc. for my subjects and I will be sharing my revision techniques, tips and progress from now up until my exams. Hopefully some people may find them helpful and they will keep me motivated to carry on revising!

If anybody has any questions regarding GCSE, A/S Levels or A Levels then please don't hesitate to ask! Also, if anybody is studying the same subjects let me know and I can discuss the subjects with you!

Lauren
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by laurenb7)
*Before I begin, I apologise for the cheesy title *

Anyway, hello!

I'm currently a year 13 student studying four subjects which are English Literature(AQA), History(AQA), Psychology(OCR) and ICT.

I have applied for an English Literature degree and I need 300 UCAS points including a grade B in English. I am so determined to achieve these grades so that I can go to my chosen University.

I'm already in the process of making revision cards etc. for my subjects and I will be sharing my revision techniques, tips and progress from now up until my exams. Hopefully some people may find them helpful and they will keep me motivated to carry on revising!

If anybody has any questions regarding GCSE, A/S Levels or A Levels then please don't hesitate to ask! Also, if anybody is studying the same subjects let me know and I can discuss the subjects with you!

Lauren
Good luck! What topics do you study for psychology?
laurenb7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Black Rose)
Thank you!! My topics are health and clinical and forensics
Vanessaxx98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Black Rose)
Hello, I study AQA English Literature at A2 and got a B at AS. At the moment though I am struggling because I feel like the jump is so massive. I am currently scraping Cs and I want to push for a B at the end of it. The teachers keep saying expand but I am not sure how to because I run out of things to say.They also say that I am not concise arghh. What would you say is the best way to revise for English Literature? Btw im Vanessa and goodluck with your uni stuff! xxx
laurenb7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vanessaxx98)
Hello, I study AQA English Literature at A2 and got a B at AS. At the moment though I am struggling because I feel like the jump is so massive. I am currently scraping Cs and I want to push for a B at the end of it. The teachers keep saying expand but I am not sure how to because I run out of things to say.They also say that I am not concise arghh. What would you say is the best way to revise for English Literature? Btw im Vanessa and goodluck with your uni stuff! xxx
Hi!
I can completely relate with the jump! I did Victorian Literature last year but this year our module is 'Love through the Ages' and there is so much more to it. I think the best way of revising would be to divide quotations from prose, poetry and plays into separate themes of love (romantic, forbidden, lust, familial etc.) and also research on historical context. It helps to make links between your quotes too. I'm in the process of making revision cards with themes on the front and then quotes on the back, with a little note next to each quote to state what time period they are from.

I think the most important thing when answering an exam question is to focus on language analysis and go into as much detail as possible. I'm currently struggling with analysing form because I never have enough to say for form and structure!

Well done for getting your B last year! Good luck to you too!!
laurenb7
Rep:
?
Update: 6/2/16

So today I haven't done much revision wise because I have been working on an essay for English Lit!

My revision/work goals for tomorrow are:
  • Add more quotations/themes to English revision cards
  • Make revision resources (mind maps/flashcards) for 2 psychology studies from each topic
  • Read history chapters on Détente and make notes
It's crazy that we are in February already and are getting closer and closer to the exams!! :eek:
Vanessaxx98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you so much for replying. Do you mind if I show you my current writing by email? And then you can critique it. I do update my quotation book by relating my quotes to themes, but i didnt really think about context. I really need to crack on with my revision ahaha. I dont think i know how to analyse eirher gosh
(Original post by laurenb7)
Hi!
I can completely relate with the jump! I did Victorian Literature last year but this year our module is 'Love through the Ages' and there is so much more to it. I think the best way of revising would be to divide quotations from prose, poetry and plays into separate themes of love (romantic, forbidden, lust, familial etc.) and also research on historical context. It helps to make links between your quotes too. I'm in the process of making revision cards with themes on the front and then quotes on the back, with a little note next to each quote to state what time period they are from.

I think the most important thing when answering an exam question is to focus on language analysis and go into as much detail as possible. I'm currently struggling with analysing form because I never have enough to say for form and structure!

Well done for getting your B last year! Good luck to you too!!
laurenb7
Rep:
?
Update: 7/2/16

-So today I discovered the Quizlet website and have been using it to make revision resources! It is really good, I find it helpful! It allows you to create flash cards and there's loads of other revision activities based on your in-putted information such as multiple choice questions, games etc.! I have found it useful for my Psychology revision!

-I also downloaded a flash card app on my phone and created English Literature flash cards to remember my quotations! I think this app will be so useful because instead of wasting time on social media I can regularly use this instead.
laurenb7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vanessaxx98)
Thank you so much for replying. Do you mind if I show you my current writing by email? And then you can critique it. I do update my quotation book by relating my quotes to themes, but i didnt really think about context. I really need to crack on with my revision ahaha. I dont think i know how to analyse eirher gosh
Yeah we have only recently gone over context but I think it's important to have a bit of background knowledge so that in the exam you can comment on the time period of when the extract was written!
Tank Girl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ahh, I love a good pun!! Grade Expectations is fantastic

:rofl3:
laurenb7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tank Girl)
Ahh, I love a good pun!! Grade Expectations is fantastic

:rofl3:
Haha thank you!!
laurenb7
Rep:
?
Update 12/2/16

The weekend and holidays are here! I plan to fit in quite a bit of revision this upcoming week, including a couple of practice exam questions. I've realised that one of my biggest barriers in the exams is definitely the timing! I need to make sure I make a detailed plan before I start writing and stick to a set amount of time for each question. Last year in my english exam I spent far too much time on my first question, leaving barely any time to work on the second one.

Revision wise I think I need to up my game a bit more. So here are a few things I need to do:
  • Go over english lit quotation flashcards every night before bed
  • Make and look over psychology revision (I aim to have finished making my psychology resources this holiday!)
  • Make mind maps for history
  • Practice past papers
laurenb7
Rep:
?
Update 17/2/16

I have recently come across some really good websites which I am finding helpful for revision so I thought I would share them!

Psychology:
  • http://ocra2psychologyg543.blogspot....5/welcome.html (This is a blog I came across which has a lot of posts about forensic and health and clinical psychology. If you are studying these topics then I would definitely recommend taking a look! It consists of a lot of exam tips, evaluations of the studies etc.)
  • http://psychyogi.org/ (This again focuses on forensics and health and clinical psychology. It lists all the studies you will need to know and then provides all the relevant information for each one.)
English Literature:
  • https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources (This website is proving to be so useful for me! It's free to create an account and you can basically search for anything, not just English resources. It gives you access to a lot of helpful documents including mindmaps, powerpoint presentations etc that people have created for that topic! I have attached an image as an example.)
Now I best get back to revising, I'm far too good at procrastinating
Attached files
laurenb7
Rep:
?
Quick Update 17/2/16

MOCKS

Just thought I'd post my most recent mock exam results which we got back in January! I ended up with:

English: B :adore::bban:
History: C
Psychology: C

I was happy with this because we sat the exams in December and from then I knew I would still have lots of time to revise! Plus, my main aim this year is to get a B in English so I was very happy with that result!
laurenb7
Rep:
?
Update 24/2/16

I haven't posted since coming back to sixth form after the holidays so here's the latest update!

I feel as though this term is going to go so fast and exams are getting closer and closer! There's only just over 4 weeks until the Easter holidays!
:eek3: I need to be revising more regularly, although I'm quite pleased with the amount of English I have been doing lately.

I've also been staying behind a few times a week for after school revision sessions for English and Psychology. I am going to try complete more past papers for each of my subjects and do this within the set amount of time because timing is probably one of my main barriers!!
laurenb7
Rep:
?
Update 4/3/16

I think this sums up my week nicely...

I mean, I've attended after school revision sessions so I suppose that's something but I haven't really done much revision at home. I definitely definitely definitely am going to schedule more revision sessions in for next week! I think I might start posting some of the revision I have done too which might help out others (I know that I find it great when I come across resources which are going to really benefit me).

It's crazy that we are already in March and I will have my first 2 exams (resits) in MAY!! :crazy:

I am so excited to start University but I need to get the grades first, my main priority is getting a B in English!!

I'm determined to get good grades so here's to a more successful week! :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (176)
9.88%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.87%

Watched Threads