Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Went to university because I wanted to become a psychologist and I wanted to be one since age 16, I am almost fully qualified as one but I really have no interest in the subject any longer but I don't know what else to do. When I am at interviews etc. I have to pretend I am super interested in it when I am not and I have just updated my Linkedin page saying "my research interests are..." because that seems the done thing when I have no research interests and find it all dull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesManc)
    Went to university because I wanted to become a psychologist and I wanted to be one since age 16, I am almost fully qualified as one but I really have no interest in the subject any longer but I don't know what else to do. When I am at interviews etc. I have to pretend I am super interested in it when I am not and I have just updated my Linkedin page saying "my research interests are..." because that seems the done thing when I have no research interests and find it all dull.
    Sounds like going into psychology as a job wouldn't be a good plan for you - so it's going to be about thinking about the things that are interesting to you (any outside interests?), where your strengths lie, and what transferable skills you have.

There's the Prospects website https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ree/psychology(other pages are also useful - and that's hardly an exhaustive list of things you can do as a psychology graduate.

I'd also really recommend going along and having a chat to your uni's careers service - they are very much used to helping students that are struggling with career choices, and helping people think through their options. If they're any good, they won't tell you what to do, but they will help you to consider options that you perhaps hadn't thought of before. Don't forget that depending on your uni's policy, it is typically possible to use your uni's careers service for 2-3 years after graduating.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.