A Level: Digital Tech or Software Systems Dev? Watch

namedperson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have to give in my A level choices on Monday. But I haven't thought about post A levels much, so I want to focus on what I like, while still leaving options open.

I want to do Physics, as I have interest for it, and am less interested in the other sciences, and I definitely feel I should take atleast one science. In mock, I got AA in DA Science, and an A in Physics. I got a C in maths mock, and B in Further Maths, which was disappointing, and I really want to improve on. I also want to do Maths, alongside Physics A level.

I need to decide between Digital Technology (ICT replacement from Sep 2016 - AS year is replaced, with all theory, instead of half coursework) and Software Systems Dev. These A levels weren't explained, by our teacher. I do ICT GCSE, and got A in mock (the final grade has to go with my coursework as well, which hopefully is good). I want good A levels, without them being extremely difficult, to the point I can't go well in them all. I've been told that ICT isn't a good A level to have.

If I want to have something to do with computers, possibly programming later, would the best choice be to do Systems Software Dev, and what does this actually involve?

If DT A level is like ICT GCSE, then I'm not sure about it. In GCSE, we have spent our time, trying not to lose marks making documents, a simple website and game, and the theory is pretty straightforward, and doesn't involve much new learning. It's just simple explanations of devices, storage, internet. Would I be best going for Systems Software, also how difficult would it be to do it, if I had only done ICT GCSE, and not Computing?

Edit.I also am probably doing four AS like most people at my school, and dropping one after first year. If I consider the As that I really don't want to continue besides the four mentioned above, I'm only left with Chemistry, Biology, Technology and Design. The thing is, I don't think Biology would be helpful for my path, and Chemistry I don't mind, but I don't get the forumla related stuff or experiments very well, so could be awful choice. I got an A in Biology mock, just about B in chemistry.

Technology and Design, I got A in mock, but that's not inc. coursework, my first coursework went bad, and am doing second now. Is it bad to choose this as an AS if I don't like the more creative/my designing part of it?

I think that I shouldn't do both ICT and systems, would be waste, and that RE would be to weak an A level, but wouldn't mind it.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this.

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses.

namedperson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by TSR Jessica)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this.

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses.

The main thing that I don't get is what Software Systems Dev actually is, or is closest to, I don't know what forum it posts under. Is it the same as computer science for our exam board?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?